Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Beer & Pop (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/beer-and-pop-45564.html)

Atarah 18-06-2013 12:14

Re: Beer & Pop

Bob, sounds fine to me. If you were able to communicate with Phillpsjennie and see if you are gonna to be in the area where she lives, that would be fab.

Bob Dobson 18-06-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1063268)
Bob, sounds fine to me. If you were able to communicate with Phillpsjennie and see if you are gonna to be in the area where she lives, that would be fab.

No sooner said than done.

Retlaw 18-06-2013 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1063257)
My daughter is about to flit to live in Halifax. I expect to be visiting her at the end of this month. Atarah - PM me. (My dad was from Accrington.)(His dad was too)

Tha must be very brave, or thick skinned admiting to a having a family member whos going to live in pudding land. Tha should be sentenced to 20 lashes. Thi thick skin ul probably save thi.
Don't forget thi passport, we might not let thi back into Gods Country.

Bob Dobson 18-06-2013 14:14

It's worse than it sounds - my lad married a Tyke lass and they've just had their first. - I have a Yorkie grandchild. Keep it quiet/. The shame of it - mi dad'll be turning over in his grave. It were bad enough for him when he said " Ah never thowt t'day'd come when I were represented in Parliament wi' a Tory."

cashman 18-06-2013 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1063286)
It's worse than it sounds - my lad married a Tyke lass and they've just had their first. - I have a Yorkie grandchild. Keep it quiet/. The shame of it - mi dad'll be turning over in his grave. It were bad enough for him when he said " Ah never thowt t'day'd come when I were represented in Parliament wi' a Tory."

But really Bob it never happened, any tory in parliment represents themselves only!!! But Labour are coming up fast on the rails.:D

Bob Dobson 18-06-2013 14:47

Without wishing to extend the discussion, I add that the Tory was Ken Hargreaves. He was one of our own and in my view didn't come into the same category of those of all parties who are in it for No.1. Let's get back to ale and pop

DaveinGermany 18-06-2013 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1063286)
It's worse than it sounds - my lad married a Tyke lass and they've just had their first.

It's not all bad he's diluting the gene pool. :)

bekibird 21-06-2013 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 679079)
A friend of mine is researching Accrington's breweries and mineral water/herbal drinks producers. He want to be made aware of the well-known breweries such as Bentley's (Milnshaw) and Bank (Burnley Rd) but also some smaller ones in Sydney St ( where the WMC is), Biggins (Green Haworth) and the pop makers - Stocks, Pooles(Clayton), Stanton's ( Ossie), O. Beach ( Paradise St then Ossie), Perry ( Owen St). There may be others I have not mentioned.

He used to be landlord of the Antley Inn. On taking it over, he saw that the cellar was wick with cockroaches. The brewery told him how to cure it - put a couple of frogs down there. It did the trick.

I don't know if this is of any use to you but... my Ancestor James Haworth was listed as a 'Herb Beer Manufacturer' in a probate record I found. He died in June 1896 and lived at "46 Canning Street, Accrington" I am assuming the Canning part is a typo and he perhaps lived on Canon Street. He left behind £459, 18s to his wife and a chap called Edward Hothersall who is described as a foreman fitter.
It would be nice to find out more about him so if he crops up in your research along the way please post about it.

Bob Dobson 21-06-2013 20:56

Canning St was correct. It has gone now - bulldozed to make way for the Richmond Street Industrial Estate. There were about 30 houses in it in 1951 but no shops. The numbers only went up to26 and 31. Have a look at the 1891 census and also the (Blackburn) Barretts Directories in the mid-late 1800s. All pop bottlers should be listed.

bekibird 21-06-2013 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1063775)
Canning St was correct. It has gone now - bulldozed to make way for the Richmond Street Industrial Estate. There were about 30 houses in it in 1951 but no shops. The numbers only went up to26 and 31. Have a look at the 1891 census and also the (Blackburn) Barretts Directories in the mid-late 1800s. All pop bottlers should be listed.

So pre-1951 there may have been a number 46? I will have a look at your suggested reading material though, thank you! By pop bottlers do you mean that he would be an employee or employer? I have never heard of herb beer before and thought perhaps it might be a non-alcoholic beverage, is that true? Also with his probate listing saying 'manufacturer' would he be a business owner or just a home brewer do you think? It will be very interesting to find out more as this chap is a real bug bear of mine, being very difficult to trace for many years now!

bekibird 21-06-2013 21:58

Just checked James's record on 1891 census and he is indeed living at 46 Canning street with his wife and 7 kids aged between 19 and 3!! He is working as a labourer at an iron works. So it looks like he ventured into a new career shortly afterwards. Sorry to detract from your beer and pop... but I suppose every industry has a human story!! Thanks again.

cashman 21-06-2013 22:01

I can vaguely remember Canning Street, There may well have been more houses pre 51? One of our members was brought up in that area "Mog" he has brothers who may remember if he don't. But earlier census will say fer certain i would think.:) Ah yeh confirmed whilst i was posting lol.

Bob Dobson 22-06-2013 08:47

In whatever capacity he worked, as owner or employee, he would be involved in making stuff such as dandelion & burdock, sass and such like.In some towns there was a body which represented all the producers/bottlers of mineral waters/herbal drinks.

bekibird 24-06-2013 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1063807)
In whatever capacity he worked, as owner or employee, he would be involved in making stuff such as dandelion & burdock, sass and such like.In some towns there was a body which represented all the producers/bottlers of mineral waters/herbal drinks.

Do you think I would be able to find out from Accrington Library if my ancestor was represented by a body?

Bob Dobson 24-06-2013 11:16

I think I would have heard before this if there was such an organisation in Acc or East Lancs. I know there was one in Blackpool. I will enquire further in Blackburn and with a member of the Stocks Pop family. . Ask the library - [email protected]. Also try Lancashire Archives to see if they have anything from any like organisation