Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 22:14   #1
Senior Member+

Beer & Pop

A friend of mine is researching Accrington's breweries and mineral water/herbal drinks producers. He want to be made aware of the well-known breweries such as Bentley's (Milnshaw) and Bank (Burnley Rd) but also some smaller ones in Sydney St ( where the WMC is), Biggins (Green Haworth) and the pop makers - Stocks, Pooles(Clayton), Stanton's ( Ossie), O. Beach ( Paradise St then Ossie), Perry ( Owen St). There may be others I have not mentioned.

He used to be landlord of the Antley Inn. On taking it over, he saw that the cellar was wick with cockroaches. The brewery told him how to cure it - put a couple of frogs down there. It did the trick.
Judith Addison likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2009, 21:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Beer & Pop

There hasn't been any response to this yet, so I shall try to restart it.:-

Which breweries owned the following pubs?:
a) Pickup Arms, Spring Hill b) The Arden Inn, Abbey St c) The Brigade, Abbey St.

Bank Brewery, Burnley Rd - was it bought out or simply closed down?
Old 17-02-2009, 01:35   #3
God Member

only names familiar to me are the 'pop-wagons' of Stocks and Stantons . when (what years) were these independant breweries operating in Accrington ? .

Only local Breweries I can remember from the late 50s were Lion, Thwaites, Duttons, Massey,

re, thanks for the tip about frogs and cockroaches will pass it on to someone I know with a similar problem

Last edited by steeljack; 17-02-2009 at 01:39.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 01:41   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

pickups arms was masseys in early 60s bob,best pint in accrington. Bill @Teresa were the hosts,before that no idea sorry. near certain the Arden was also.
Old 17-02-2009, 01:43   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

where abouts on abbey street was the brigade? thats one i never heard of, red lion yeh but not that un.
Old 17-02-2009, 01:50   #6
God Member

I recall stantons having a van and selling "keekoo" was nice.. but nowdays if it ain't over 8 percent alcohol I aint interested
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 12:50   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
where abouts on abbey street was the brigade? thats one i never heard of, red lion yeh but not that un.
Further down than Canine on the same side, if I remember rightly.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 13:26   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

cheers jeff,whats in its place now any idea mate?
Old 17-02-2009, 14:46   #9
Senior Member+

i think the Arden was a Dutton house
in the sixties least wise Cashy

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 16:12   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
cheers jeff,whats in its place now any idea mate?
Not sure, don't get down that way much. I think at one time it was either furniture or carpets. Maybe one of Platts shops.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:52   #11
Senior Member+

From the 1951 Barretts Directory:-

Ale & porter bottlers: Kay & grimshaw, Jacob St/ James rennard, Birch st/ John Simpson Ltd, Bertha St

Brewers: Hope & Anchor Breweries, Hyndburn rd

.................................................. ...................

A member of the Stocks family tells me that (1960s) the firm used tap water rather than a well, and is unaware of there being a well on the premises. He does recall that across the road, where Bank Brewery was, a hole appeared in the path around the small garden area mid-60s. It was believed to have been caused by there being a well underneath, I thibnk this may be why that bit of land has never been built on.
Old 18-02-2009, 21:55   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Further down than Canine on the same side, if I remember rightly.
Do you mean this, it was the Brigade Inn, then it was used by a Hair Dresser in the 1970's.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brigade Inn.jpg (75.5 KB, 72 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 22:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Do you mean this, it was the Brigade Inn, then it was used by a Hair Dresser in the 1970's.

Retlaw.
cheers retlaw,any idea when it ceased to be a pub? i was brought up till about 57,bottom block burnley rd,just above "Parkins" shop area was me old stomping ground n i cannot remember it.
Old 18-02-2009, 22:49   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i think the Arden was a Dutton house
in the sixties least wise Cashy
could be way wrong here beechy, but did dutton take oer massey? n then whitbread took oer them.
Old 18-02-2009, 23:29   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
cheers retlaw,any idea when it ceased to be a pub? i was brought up till about 57,bottom block burnley rd,just above "Parkins" shop area was me old stomping ground n i cannot remember it.
Sorry no idea when it ceased to be a pub. Being a rabid tetotal, the only time I've been in any pub in Accrinton & district, was when there was a fire or a flood.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..