Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2009, 20:00   #31
I am Banned

Re: Beer & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am not aware of a name change. To check, look at an early Barretts Directory.(in the library) This was a Thwaites pub, one of several they owned in that part of town, only a hundred yards away from at least two more. The railway came to Accrington in 1848 but this building is later than that. My suspicion is that it would be called the Railway from the word go, as it is so close to the station and travellers would realise this when they were looking for accomodation.
Wrong Dob Bobson.
That pub was there long before the railways came to Acc, they started in 1845 and finished in 1847,
the date is on the viaduct. The line to Manchester came later.
The Railway had a name before the advent of puffer trains in Acc. It did'nt just stand nameless waiting for something they did'nt know was going to be.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2009, 23:38   #32
Senior Member+

Maybe it was The Crown, then they changed its name to the Railway
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 12:26   #33
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Maybe it was The Crown, then they changed its name to the Railway
The Crown was further along Blackburn Road under the arches, changed into Funnies
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 13:40   #34
Senior Member+

Hi Jeff, I am aware the Crown was further along, just past the railway arch, but ... that answer was just my guess, to try and "win" Retlaw. I meant maybe the original name of the building was The Crown, then changed to The Railway at a later date.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 17:35   #35

Always thought the Arden was a free house
Bowler
Bowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 08:13   #36
Senior Member+

I thought Bass Charrington took over Massey and then Whitbread took over Duttons, could well be wrong but something stirred in the few grey cells left.
Old 23-11-2009, 09:07   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I thought Bass Charrington took over Massey and then Whitbread took over Duttons, could well be wrong but something stirred in the few grey cells left.
seem to think thats bang on.
Old 17-12-2011, 14:56   #38

could anyone give me any information on a company called j.perry &co herb beer manufacturers accrington ? i found a bottle with the cork in it still in a celler and it has the above company printed on the front .
Huncoat macca likes this.
foggy 1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 15:43   #39
Senior Member+

The first posting tells where it was. -Owen St. I suspect this was between Owen St & the railway line. I haven't re-read all the postings, but there may be a date if you do. . The firm was not there in 1951. My Perry's jar has the figures 1901 on it, so maybe that was when the firm started.

I would like to acquire a Beech's stone pop jar. I have a Stanton's to swop for it.
Huncoat macca likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:07   #40

The Globe was a Dutton's house. Spent many hours there as my grandma was the landlady.
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 16:48   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
The Globe was a Dutton's house. Spent many hours there as my grandma was the landlady.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

So that's where your liking for strong drink started.!! You were already a practitioner when I saw you cavorting outside the off-licence in Nuttall Street when your parents thought you were dancing up Christ Church. I wouldn't mind betting that you can tell me the names of the two pubs on Nuttall St opposite that off-licence. If you don't come up with them, that Atarah will certainly do.
Old 17-12-2011, 16:58   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

So that's where your liking for strong drink started.!! You were already a practitioner when I saw you cavorting outside the off-licence in Nuttall Street when your parents thought you were dancing up Christ Church. I wouldn't mind betting that you can tell me the names of the two pubs on Nuttall St opposite that off-licence. If you don't come up with them, that Atarah will certainly do.
do yeh mean the Star n Brittania Bob? 2 Thwaites emporiums.
Old 17-12-2011, 19:07   #43
Senior Member+

You weren't supposed to shout out the answer Cashy, (you';re right)
Old 17-12-2011, 22:59   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
You weren't supposed to shout out the answer Cashy, (you';re right)
Sorry Bob, the Star was n old haunt of mine.
Old 18-12-2011, 12:01   #45

A quick pic of a J Perry stoneware flagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j-perry-bottle-37.jpg (34.6 KB, 27 views)
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..