Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   World War 1 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/world-war-1-a-45609.html)

Retlaw 15-02-2009 15:26

World War 1

As some of you may know I'm reseaching the lives of men from Greater Accrington, (now Hyndburn) who served in the first World War.
I now have the names of over 14000 men and photos of near 3000 of them.
What I can't understand is how so many men can have so few descendants on Accy Web. If any of you have any photo's, postcards, letters or diaries from that era
could you let me know.

Thanks
Retlaw.

cashman 15-02-2009 15:40

Re: World War 1

me grandad did retlaw,but sadly you probably know more about him than i do,was only around 13 when he died.

Retlaw 15-02-2009 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 680506)
me grandad did retlaw,but sadly you probably know more about him than i do,was only around 13 when he died.

Who was he.
Retlaw

churchman phil 15-02-2009 18:43

My great grandad was Arnold Kay from Clayton-le-Moors. Do you have anything on him??
My mother has a photo of him in his uniform which I'll try and get a copy of if you don't have him already.
Is there a reason for you doing this Retlaw??

Retlaw 15-02-2009 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 680562)
My great grandad was Arnold Kay from Clayton-le-Moors. Do you have anything on him??
My mother has a photo of him in his uniform which I'll try and get a copy of if you don't have him already.
Is there a reason for you doing this Retlaw??

Hi Churchman
I have nothing on an Arnold Kay from Clayton.

I have an Arthur Kay from Rishton.

Did Arnold live in Clayton when the war started, do you know regiment and number ?.

Why am I doing it. It started some 20 years ago doing research for William Turner on some of the "Pals".

Just started collecting bits of information on other men I came across, until it developed into what it now is.

Can't stop.

Retlaw.

Mrs B 15-02-2009 21:13

Can I claim my descendancy please?

I'm afraid that I have no photos, letters, or anything, but know I had two relations who served, believe a third probably did, and have an inkling re a fourth.

I'll PM you some names to see if you have anything - and to check that my idea of Accrington co-incides with the locals!

churchman phil 15-02-2009 21:16

Deffo not Arthur.
Was Arnold Kay, was married to Annie (Riley) and had three children (one my grandmother) on his return from the war. He eventually died of respiratory problems in the mid 20's iirc. Will try and get more info for you if you like.

Retlaw 15-02-2009 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 680647)
Deffo not Arthur.
Was Arnold Kay, was married to Annie (Riley) and had three children (one my grandmother) on his return from the war. He eventually died of respiratory problems in the mid 20's iirc. Will try and get more info for you if you like.

Yes please.
Are you sure he lived in Greater Accrington at the outbreak of WW1

Retlaw.

garinda 15-02-2009 22:58

I know for sure two of my great grandfathers served in the Great War.

One was Walter Jones of Oswaldtwistle, who also served in the Boer War by lying about his age, saying he was older than he was.

The other was Alfred Martin, who never recovered from being gassed in the trenches, and died ten years after the war had ended.

Both of those lived in Oswaldtwistle.

Another great grandfather lived in Accrington, by the name of Issac John Rushton. I presume he served in the war. (Issac could be spelled Isaac, I can't read my own writing.)

We've certainly photographs, medals, and other paperwork relating to Alfred Martin.

Retlaw 15-02-2009 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 680688)
I know for sure two of my great grandfathers served in the Great War.

One was Walter Jones of Oswaldtwistle, who also served in the Boer War by lying about his age, saying he was older than he was.

The only Walter Jones I have is Pte. 235907. A.S.C. lived at 10 Oswald St Clayton.

The other was Alfred Martin, who never recovered from being gassed in the trenches, and died ten years after the war had ended.

Alfred Martin Pte. 386028 A.S.C. lived at 9 Jubilee St. Ossy. worked for Enfield Manufacturing Co.

Both of those lived in Oswaldtwistle.

Another great grandfather lived in Accrington, by the name of Issac John Rushton. I presume he served in the war. (Issac could be spelled Isaac, I can't read my own writing.)

No record of an Isaac John Rushton.

We've certainly photographs, medals, and other paperwork relating to Alfred Martin.

May I, at your convenience copy the photo of Alfred Martin for my collection of Heroes.

Retlaw

garinda 15-02-2009 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 680693)
May I, at your convenience copy the photo of Alfred Martin for my collection of Heroes.

Retlaw

Yes of course. There's certainly some of him in uniform, and I think there's some of him in those blue(?) uniforms, they wore when they were sent to convalesce back home after being gassed.

All the stuff is at my family home, so hopefully I'll search it out for you this week, and pm you when I've done it.

ossy kid 16-02-2009 03:30

As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.
Francis Whittaker #240106 D-Oct.18,1918, we have a photo of him in uniform.
Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James Dowling #10160 D-Aug.28,1916.
Jonathan Dowling #19679 D-Sept.3,1916. John W. Patterson #12267 D-Oct.23,1916.
She also lost a couple of uncles in the second WW.

churchman phil 16-02-2009 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 680667)
Yes please.
Are you sure he lived in Greater Accrington at the outbreak of WW1

Retlaw.

Victoria Street, Clayton-le-Moors.

garinda 16-02-2009 08:16

Quote:

Retlaw

I've just realised Walter Jones would still have been in Wales then, so that's why he's not on your list.

Issac Rushton I've worked would have been in his early fifties at the outbreak of war, so ditto.

Ernie 16-02-2009 11:03

HARTLEY, Pte. John James, 9552 (2nd Bn., Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt.)); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 23rd November 1917 (20); comm. Arras Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

HARTLEY, Rifleman Thomas Howarth, 2710 (7th Bn., Royal Irish Rifles); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 9th September 1916 (24); comm. Thiepval Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

These are my two great uncles, I never met them obviously, as I was not born until 1952.

Retlaw 16-02-2009 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 680707)
As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.
Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James Dowling #10160 D-Aug.28,1916.
Jonathan Dowling #19679 D-Sept.3,1916. John W. Patterson #12267 D-Oct.23,1916.
She also lost a couple of uncles in the second WW.

Jonathan Dowling Pte. 19679. 6/7th Royal Scots K.I.A. 4-9-1916.
Age 23 worked at Blythes Chemicals
Widow and 3 children at 6 Tattersall St Os.
Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os
Buried in Contalmaison Cemetery

James Dowling Cpl 10160 2nd East Lancs
enlisted age 18. K.I.A. 28-8-1916 age 26.
Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os.
Treasured possession a Queen Mary gift box which stopped a German
bullet. Mother lived at 46 Havelock St, Os
Buried in Vermelles Cemetery
Another brother serving. Have'nt identified him yet

Retlaw

Retlaw 16-02-2009 11:31

[quote=ossy kid;680707]As I wasn,t born in Acc dist I have none but my wife has lots, here are some.

Francis Whittaker Pte. 240106. 1/5th East Lancs formerly Pte. 1477. 1/5th. died 18-10-1918. buried in St Sever Cemetery France.
age 22 awarded the D.C.M. widow lives at 130 Whalley Rd C-l-Moors.
worked at Howard & Bulloughs. Four brothers in the army.
I have a picture of Francis, but he's not in uniform.
May I at some time copy your picture.

Chris Marsden Pte. 15691. 2nd Royal Scots.
K.I.A. 17-5-1915 age 26.
Son of Christopher & Margaret Marsden
Widow Catherine Marsden
No known grave. Le Touret Memorial
Not on any Local War Memorial

Christopher Marsden #15691 D-May.17,1915. James

Retlaw 16-02-2009 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 680786)
HARTLEY, Pte. John James, 9552 (2nd Bn., Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt.)); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 23rd November 1917 (20); comm. Arras Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

HARTLEY, Rifleman Thomas Howarth, 2710 (7th Bn., Royal Irish Rifles); s. of Matthew and Margaret Hartley of 14 Adelaide Street, Accrington; k.i.a. 9th September 1916 (24); comm. Thiepval Memorial. [1, 2, 3, 4]

These are my two great uncles, I never met them obviously, as I was not born until 1952.

Ive got those two in my files. I lived in Hargreaves St not far from where their parents lived.

Do you have any pictures of your uncles.

Retlaw.

churchman phil 16-02-2009 14:23

Have you got a website of these details Retlaw? To aid genealogy searches??

Retlaw 16-02-2009 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 680834)
Have you got a website of these details Retlaw? To aid genealogy searches??

No I've tried to make a web site but I can't get it to work as I want so gave up. I wanted to make it like burnleyinthegreatwar.

Websites cost money and take up a lot of time.
I've still got a 2 year backlog of work on what I'm doing now.

Retlaw.

churchman phil 16-02-2009 16:23

Have sent you a pm Retlaw

Tetti 16-02-2009 20:54

Have sent you a PM Retlaw

Retlaw 16-02-2009 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetti (Post 681062)
Have sent you a PM Retlaw

Nowts turned up yet and time has gone by.

Must have gone into the blackhole.

Retlaw.

churchman phil 17-02-2009 11:08

Hi Retlaw,
My mum is gonna mail me photo's of A. Kay and other details which I'll forward. She also provided me with a couple of other names who died during the war.
One is a Walter Riley from C-l-Moors who was kia but his body was apparently never found. My mum seems to think from the date it was the Somme.
There is also a Richard Heys who lived on Dill Hall Lane. He died of Dysentry on board a hospital ship.
Like I said she's going to forward all she has to me but if any of that helps in the meantime!!

Retlaw 17-02-2009 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 681328)
Hi Retlaw,
My mum is gonna mail me photo's of A. Kay and other details which I'll forward. She also provided me with a couple of other names who died during the war.
One is a Walter Riley from C-l-Moors who was kia but his body was apparently never found. My mum seems to think from the date it was the Somme.
There is also a Richard Heys who lived on Dill Hall Lane. He died of Dysentry on board a hospital ship.
Like I said she's going to forward all she has to me but if any of that helps in the meantime!!

Phil.

Kay. A more that one

Richard Heys Pte. 3598. Amb Sectn R.N.D. R.M.
Son of Richard & Susan Kay, of Waterloo ST C-l-M husband of Isabella 167 Church Lane, Church
died of enteric fever Aug 31st 1915
his name is on 5 memorials

Walter Riley Pte. 21642. S.W.B.
Son of Mr & Mrs Thomas Riley
Husband of Margaret Ellen Riley 67 Henry St, C-l-M
K.I.A. 11-8-18 no known grave
Ploergsteert Memorial Belgium

Retlaw.

Ernie 17-02-2009 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 680804)
Ive got those two in my files. I lived in Hargreaves St not far from where their parents lived.

Do you have any pictures of your uncles.

Retlaw.

Sorry no photos of Uncle Tom and Uncle John, the photos I have were taken much later 1930s, 40s.

churchman phil 17-02-2009 15:51

Cheers Retlaw!

The A Kay is Arnold Kay who I mentioned previously.

ossylass 17-02-2009 16:53

Hi Retlaw, would love to know anything re. my uncle Joseph Greenwood - lived at 30, Harwood Road, Rishton with father John Richard and brothers Jack and Harold. My dad said Joe joined the Pals and was sent to Egypt, and I have a button which was sent to my dad - it's black and has a crown over a posthorn.

garinda 17-02-2009 16:53

Quote:

Retlaw

Spent an afternoon looking through family papers.

One photograph of Pte. Alfred Martin in uniform, and two photographs of him in the blue convalescent's uniform whilst at Redburn Hospital in 1917. One being a named group of three soldiers and two nurses, the other a large group of men and staff outside the hospital.

We have his call up papers from the reserves in 1916, when he was aged 37, and his papers when he was discharged from the R.A.S.C. MT. in 1919.

There's also letters my great grandmother wrote to fight for him to be eligible a war pension, as he was totally bed ridden after the war.

It was eventually accepted by the War Pensions Office that his disabilities were due to war service, and a pension was granted nine years later in 1928. He died four years later. My great grandmother was eventually awarded a small War Widow's Pension, after more wrangles with bureaucracy, who eventually agreed that his death was due to serving in the war.

Even though all this was way before I was born, these are my granddad's parents, and it was sad reading through all the papers relating to this time.

Even though he was one of my paternal great grandfathers, we've been sat in tears reading some of the letters. Even though my mother isn't a blood relative, as the child of a soldier killed before she was born, she knows first hand how much of a struggle it was for the widows of warfare.

I'm happy we are a family that have managed to keep so many photographs and papers together. In themselves they aren't of any great importance, but together they form a very vivid historical picture of our past, and I'm very proud of Alfred Martin, and his widow Betsy.

I'll pm you, and you are very welcome to copy the photographs and papers I've found, if they are of interest to you.

Bob Dobson 17-02-2009 19:19

Giving credit where it is due, I place on record my appreciation for the work that Retlaw has done over the past twenty years, much of it with the late Bill Turner. Without their digging, knowledge of our Accrington ancestors at the time of the First World War would be far, far less than it now is. I have received the benefit of his work, and so have lots of library users - and now so have some Accyweb users. Do please send him details of your ancestors, and photos to go with their names. When the time comes for the centenary of the founding of the Accrington Pals and of the 1st July 1916 centenary to be commemorated, it will be made far easier because of the work - several hours every day - that Retlaw has put in, and future generations will reap the knowledge that he and Bill have sown.

I feel sure that I am joined by the staff in the library in saying this.

Retlaw 17-02-2009 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 681489)
Giving credit where it is due, I place on record my appreciation for the work that Retlaw has done over the past twenty years, much of it with the late Bill Turner. Without their digging, knowledge of our Accrington ancestors at the time of the First World War would be far, far less than it now is. I have received the benefit of his work, and so have lots of library users - and now so have some Accyweb users. Do please send him details of your ancestors, and photos to go with their names. When the time comes for the centenary of the founding of the Accrington Pals and of the 1st July 1916 centenary to be commemorated, it will be made far easier because of the work - several hours every day - that Retlaw has put in, and future generations will reap the knowledge that he and Bill have sown.

I feel sure that I am joined by the staff in the library in saying this.

Its no good assholing Dobo I still hate you.
:theband:

I just hope I'm still around at the Centenary.
Retlaw.

garinda 18-02-2009 13:16

Just spent a fascinating hour or so with Retlaw.

It was a pleasure to meet you, and I think the work you and others are carrying on, recording the service history of our district is invaluable, and I'm sure future generations will be as thankfull for your toil others are now.

I very much enjoyed being able to see for myself a little of the work you've done.

Thank you.

Jim Procter 19-02-2009 13:14

I am at present reading The Trench by David Bilton--The Full Story of the 1st Hull Pals--
On Page 122 there are 2 photographs of Hull lads who were killed on the 1st July 1916 whilst serving with the Accrington Pals. The first is Corporal WC Billington and the second is Corporal A Moore. Can these 2 heroes be included in your list Retlaw?

Retlaw 19-02-2009 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 682457)
I am at present reading The Trench by David Bilton--The Full Story of the 1st Hull Pals--
On Page 122 there are 2 photographs of Hull lads who were killed on the 1st July 1916 whilst serving with the Accrington Pals. The first is Corporal WC Billington and the second is Corporal A Moore. Can these 2 heroes be included in your list Retlaw?

They are already in my Pals Roll of Honour.
Both of them were with a batch of men from the Army Cycle corps, and were posted to the 11th on the 25th May 1916. They fought with the 11th Battalion on the 1st July, therefore they are Accrington Pals.

Retlaw

esteemedjuju 19-02-2009 20:27

my grandad pte W Baron mis-spelt on one medal as Barron was in the r.a.m.c. no 61042 did wonder if he could have been part of the Accrington 100 think he lived in ossy

Retlaw 19-02-2009 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteemedjuju (Post 682676)
my grandad pte W Baron mis-spelt on one medal as Barron was in the r.a.m.c. no 61042 did wonder if he could have been part of the Accrington 100 think he lived in ossy

William Baron Pte. 61042. R.A.M.C.
lived at 57 James St, Oswaldtwistle.
Kew Medal Cards WO372/2

His service records were destroyed during WW2

What is the Accrington 100 ?.

Retlaw.

Mrs B 20-02-2009 17:36

Well, I said I would be back. :)

Retlaw has kindly confirmed to me that he has records of two of my relatives - Charles Swann (Army) and Herbert Swann (Navy) having served during the First World War.

I was slightly puzzled as I was expecting a couple of other records to come up though.

Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' were re conscription - age ranges, marital status, reserved occupations, other reasons for not being eligible ...... etc?

And Retlaw has also let me know that both Herbert and Charles' names appeared on the Roll of Honour in the Whalley Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, which made me feel very very proud of my relationship to them.

Mrs B 20-02-2009 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 682702)

Retlaw.

Would this be it?

The Accrington 100

garinda 20-02-2009 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 683204)
Well, I said I would be back. :)

Retlaw has kindly confirmed to me that he has records of two of my relatives - Charles Swann (Army) and Herbert Swann (Navy) having served during the First World War.

I was slightly puzzled as I was expecting a couple of other records to come up though.

Can anyone tell me what the 'rules' were re conscription - age ranges, marital status, reserved occupations, other reasons for not being eligible ...... etc?

And Retlaw has also let me know that both Herbert and Charles' names appeared on the Roll of Honour in the Whalley Road Primitive Methodist Chapel, which made me feel very very proud of my relationship to them.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will give you more information, but my great grandfather was 37 when he was called up from the Reserves in 1916. I suppose the age limit was changed so more men could fight, after so many losses.

cashman 20-02-2009 18:36

thats a new un on me,nice one MrsB.:)

Retlaw 20-02-2009 19:13

There are two other initials on the Prim Meths R-O-H. A & E.

I have other men in my files but they are named as Swan.

As to reasons for being called up, that depended on a number of factors, military tribunals held in ever town, decided in a lot of cases wether a man was or could be exempted from call up, 1000's of men had been attested by mid 1916 and were placed in various classes up to C3, due to age, occupation or medical fitness. It must be remembered that for every man at the front, there could be up to a dozen providing for his needs, either near the front or at home. By late 1917, and especially in the spring of 1918, losses due to battles and the flue that was raging thro Europe, meant more & more men were needed, so that men previously exempt in class B & C were called up. Men were still being sent for militry training in October 1918. Men who early in the war would have been discharged because of their wounds or health, were being posted to the R.D.C., to release fitter men to move further up the chain.

During the German offensive in spring of 1918, more men were killed than during the battle of the Somme, but did'nt have the same impact as the 1st of July. It was over a wider front, and the commonwealth forces were involved as well

Retlaw.

Retlaw 20-02-2009 19:31

Eric.
About Thomas Noble, the neighbour of your granddad.

Thomas Noble. Pte 12476. East Lancs, served in the 1st & 7th Battalions, lived at 44 Rishton Rd, C-l-Moors.
He was a P-o-W and attended the welome home ceremony on Jan 6th 1919.
Thomas was discharged from the army 16-3-1919.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 20-02-2009 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossylass (Post 681439)
Hi Retlaw, would love to know anything re. my uncle Joseph Greenwood - lived at 30, Harwood Road, Rishton with father John Richard and brothers Jack and Harold. My dad said Joe joined the Pals and was sent to Egypt, and I have a button which was sent to my dad - it's black and has a crown over a posthorn.

That button is the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry.

Joseph Greenwood was serving as Pte. R/2667 K.R.R.C.
He was K.i.A. 20-9-1917 in Belgium, no known grave his name is on the
Tyne Cot Memorial Zonnebeke, Belgium
Son of Mr & Mrs J.E. Greenwood of 30 Harwood Rd, Rishton.

I also have a John Greenwood Pte. 10071. R.A.M.C.
lived at 70 Knowles Rd, Rishton.
Harold Greenwood, Pte 220410. East Yorks. lived at
46 Harwood Rd, Rishton.

Retlaw.

Mrs B 20-02-2009 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 683252)

There are two other initials on the Prim Meths R-O-H. A & E.

I have other men in my files but they are named as Swan.

If you are saying there is an "A Swann" on the RoH I can probably identify it for you - but not if it's "A Swan". Let me know.

ossylass 21-02-2009 10:37

Thank you, Retlaw. Really grateful for the information re. my uncle - Joe Greenwood.

Retlaw 21-02-2009 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 683394)
If you are saying there is an "A Swann" on the RoH I can probably identify it for you - but not if it's "A Swan". Let me know.

Prim Meths R-O-H.
A. Swann
C. Swann
E. Swann
H. Swann

Retlaw.

esteemedjuju 21-02-2009 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 682702)
William Baron Pte. 61042. R.A.M.C.
lived at 57 James St, Oswaldtwistle.
Kew Medal Cards WO372/2

His service records were destroyed during WW2

Retlaw.

thanks very much for info Acc 100 was I think made up of St Johns Ambulance people

Alan Gilmartin 22-02-2009 07:44

This is my contribution, my grandads brother,my great uncle. Private Anthony Gilmartin. 21179, date of death, 9/8/1915 age unknown. Loyal North Lancashire Regement, Helles Memorial.

Retlaw 22-02-2009 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 683772)
This is my contribution, my grandads brother,my great uncle. Private Anthony Gilmartin. 21179, date of death, 9/8/1915 age unknown. Loyal North Lancashire Regement, Helles Memorial.

Do you have a picture of him.

Private 21179. Loyal North Lancs
September 1915. Mrs Counsell, 37 Willow St, C-l-Moors, has been notified that her brother Private Anthony Gilmartin, has been posted as missing since August 9th last. Anthony has previously served as Private 12076 in the East Lancs Regmt. Before the war he worked at Whinisle pit. His name is on
St Mary's Church War Memorial and Clayton le Moors War Memorial.

Retlaw.

Mrs B 22-02-2009 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 683497)
Prim Meths R-O-H.
A. Swann
C. Swann
E. Swann
H. Swann

Retlaw.

I'm gong to have a hunt around to see if "A Swann" and "E Swann" were family members - there was definitely an "A Swann", and I know you had no record, but it would be a guess. "E Swann" is not a name I have found in my family yet, but I am still searching and if I find anything I will certainly pass it on to you.

By the way, I'm not sure if I said before, but I'm afraid I have no original documents or photographs for your collection. I have ordered a couple of documents (copies of originals) from the National Archives, but I am assuming you would not be interested in those?

Retlaw 22-02-2009 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 683898)
I'm gong to have a hunt around to see if "A Swann" and "E Swann" were family members - there was definitely an "A Swann", and I know you had no record, but it would be a guess. "E Swann" is not a name I have found in my family yet, but I am still searching and if I find anything I will certainly pass it on to you.

By the way, I'm not sure if I said before, but I'm afraid I have no original documents or photographs for your collection. I have ordered a couple of documents (copies of originals) from the National Archives, but I am assuming you would not be interested in those?

Many thanks.
I am more interested in their attestation papers these give a lot of information, so far I have aquired 470 sets of papers and only just got to the end of B's. I'm starting on C's shortly.

Retlaw.

Mrs B 22-02-2009 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 683900)
Many thanks.
I am more interested in their attestation papers these give a lot of information, so far I have aquired 470 sets of papers and only just got to the end of B's. I'm starting on C's shortly.

Retlaw.

Sorry, what are "attestation papers"?

(I'm very good at showing my ignorance by the way.)

Retlaw 22-02-2009 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 684071)
Sorry, what are "attestation papers"?

(I'm very good at showing my ignorance by the way.)

Attestation papers are Army Form B 5212, on which he gives his age, place of birth, address, occupation, date of attestation and date of acceptance, witnessed by a magistrate. Other papers in the file wil show his career in the army, postings, punishments, medical reports and so on. If he was K.i.A., it will show next of kin, siblings, cousins and some times grand parents.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 23-02-2009 14:22

[quote=Mrs B;684071]

Checked this morning for Swann & Swan.

only two sets of papers under each surname, none of them are what we want.
More are coming on line every week so keep your fingers crossed.
Going through some of the surnames in the B's, I've found some more B's have been added.
Retlaw.

steeljack 24-02-2009 19:10

any mention of a William (Bill) Booth from Gt. Harwood , he lived next door to me during the early 50s , remember stories about him being 'Gassed ' on the Front , sorry no other information.
Thanks

Retlaw 25-02-2009 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 684838)
any mention of a William (Bill) Booth from Gt. Harwood , he lived next door to me during the early 50s , remember stories about him being 'Gassed ' on the Front , sorry no other information.
Thanks

I have a William Mozart Booth in my files.
Lived at 69 Blackburn Rd Gt Harwood.
Is he the man, because if he is you won't
like what I found in his papers.

Retlaw.

steeljack 25-02-2009 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 685105)

Retlaw.

Possibly the same guy , at the time I knew him he was just a nice owd chap living down the bottom end of Princess st. , maybe in this case I think its best to remember Shakespeare's quote "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones. "
The chap is long passed on , probably best to leave it there , thanks for taking the time and effort .

churchman phil 26-02-2009 14:59

Can I just say a huge public THANK-YOU to Retlaw for his continuing emails in helping trace details of relatives during the war. I have been able to provide him with a couple of things too but his efforts are greatly appreciated.

Mrs B 01-03-2009 10:50

I have had a bit of excitement this morning (well, exciting for me) - and, thanks to some information passed to me by Ossy Kid I have discovered an indirect connection to someone else who served in the First World War.

Retlaw has already identified Herbert Swann who I 'laid claim to' earlier. Some time after the War, Herbert Swann married. I had always been given to understand (or my memory's playing tricks again) that his wife's fiancé had been killed in the First World War. In actual fact it turns out that this was her husband rather than her fiancé - Ross Haworth who died 25 May 1917 in France. Ossy Kid says his name is on the memorial at Burnley Road Cemetery.

So not exactly a relation, but certainly a connection.

Retlaw 01-03-2009 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 687180)
I have had a bit of excitement this morning (well, exciting for me) - and, thanks to some information passed to me by Ossy Kid I have discovered an indirect connection to someone else who served in the First World War.

Retlaw has already identified Herbert Swann who I 'laid claim to' earlier. Some time after the War, Herbert Swann married. I had always been given to understand (or my memory's playing tricks again) that his wife's fiancé had been killed in the First World War. In actual fact it turns out that this was her husband rather than her fiancé - Ross Haworth who died 25 May 1917 in France. Ossy Kid says his name is on the memorial at Burnley Road Cemetery.

So not exactly a relation, but certainly a connection.

Ross Haworth. Private. 20448. Lancs Fus.
Died 26-5-1917, age 30, in army less than six months.
buried in Etaples Miitary Cemetery.
wife Daisy Gladys Haworth of 40 Beech St, Accrington.

Accrington War Memorial.

Retlaw.

suedarbo 01-03-2009 20:40

OLDHAM, Pte. Richard, G/5345 (8th Bn., Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.)); s. of Riley and Eliza Oldham; husband of Sarah Ann Oldham; lived at 38 Kay Street, Oswaldtwistle; k.i.a. 26th September 1915 (26); comm. Loos Memorial. [2, 3, 4, 16]

This was my grandads brother. Riley and Eliza Oldham are my great grandparents. Any more information on Richard would be greatly appreciated.

Retlaw 01-03-2009 21:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by suedarbo (Post 687511)
OLDHAM, Pte. Richard, G/5345 (8th Bn., Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regt.)); s. of Riley and Eliza Oldham; husband of Sarah Ann Oldham; lived at 38 Kay Street, Oswaldtwistle; k.i.a. 26th September 1915 (26); comm. Loos Memorial. [2, 3, 4, 16]

This was my grandads brother. Riley and Eliza Oldham are my great grandparents. Any more information on Richard would be greatly appreciated.

Richard was reported as missing 6-5-1915, during the battle of Loos.
His widow Sarah Ann was not officially notified until Oct 1916.

He is remembered on the Loos Memorial.

Retlaw.
I've also got Oldhams in my parish registers files from 1800 back to the first registers in the 1500's

suedarbo 01-03-2009 22:06

That is amazing, thankyou so much. :) If you can point me in the right direction of th Oldhams going back so far, I would be eternally grateful. I've come to a stand still at 1845.
Thanks for the picture it's the first one I've seen of him. You're a saint. :)

Retlaw 01-03-2009 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedarbo (Post 687544)
That is amazing, thankyou so much. :) If you can point me in the right direction of th Oldhams going back so far, I would be eternally grateful. I've come to a stand still at 1845.
Thanks for the picture it's the first one I've seen of him. You're a saint. :)

Accrington Library, reference room, they have the copies of the parish registers, which were transcribed by the late Jack Broderick, and the indexed copies I made in Dbase4.

There are several Oldham's in the 1841 census, I indexed that as well, its also in the library.
Retlaw.

suedarbo 01-03-2009 22:15

Thankyou :)

Andrew Jackson 02-03-2009 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 685105)

Retlaw.

I think this is very unfair of you, Walter. William Mozart Booth joined up voluntarily as early in the war as 8th September 1914. I guess that your comment is based on the fact that he was discharged on 18th October for 'not likely to become an efficient soldier'. In fact, the specific reason for his discharge was that he was medically unfit (no teeth). His character for the short time of his military service was described as 'very good'. As regards the story that he was gassed, I suppose that neither you nor I can know for sure that he didn't re-enlist, perhaps even under an alias.

Retlaw 02-03-2009 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson (Post 687647)
I think this is very unfair of you, Walter. William Mozart Booth joined up voluntarily as early in the war as 8th September 1914. I guess that your comment is based on the fact that he was discharged on 18th October for 'not likely to become an efficient soldier'. In fact, the specific reason for his discharge was that he was medically unfit (no teeth). His character for the short time of his military service was described as 'very good'. As regards the story that he was gassed, I suppose that neither you nor I can know for sure that he didn't re-enlist, perhaps even under an alias.

I have already pm'd the enquirer with the details of Booths file. It makes no mention of his having no teeth, and that is no reason for discharge. The only thing I can suggest is you stick to sorting out the dozens of errors in the tripe you call a web site, especially the war memorial errors. When is the penny going to drop that there are 5 men named twice on the Accy memorial, and that one man on there survived.

Retlaw

Andrew Jackson 02-03-2009 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687702)
I have already pm'd the enquirer with the details of Booths file. It makes no mention of his having no teeth, and that is no reason for discharge. The only thing I can suggest is you stick to sorting out the dozens of errors in the tripe you call a web site, especially the war memorial errors. When is the penny going to drop that there are 5 men named twice on the Accy memorial, and that one man on there survived.

Retlaw

Perhaps you should check the WO364 series as well as the WO363 series. The records are clear enough that lack of teeth was the sole reason for his discharge.

It's easy to criticize and it would be just as easy for me to point the errors in your own work. I've asked you before on this forum to point out the errors so that they can be corrected, but you haven't chosen to respond. The tripe comment is just silly.

Retlaw 02-03-2009 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson (Post 687722)
Perhaps you should check the WO364 series as well as the WO363 series. The records are clear enough that lack of teeth was the sole reason for his discharge.

It's easy to criticize and it would be just as easy for me to point the errors in your own work. I've asked you before on this forum to point out the errors so that they can be corrected, but you haven't chosen to respond. The tripe comment is just silly.

I've been through those series, so far found the records for 413 men and I've just started on C's.

As for pointing out your errors, so they can be corrected, thats your trouble, if you were any good, you would see the errors and not rely on other people to clean up your mess. I've got more important things to do for my records, than to do your work.

As for my errors, you don't have access to my work to know of any errors. All the work Bill Turner and I did on updating the PALS files are in a sealed file, to which you are specifically denied access, in Bills will.

Retlaw.

polly 09-03-2009 09:24

Retlaw

I just wondered if you had anything on Seth Burrows, he was my step-grandfather. He never talked about his war experiences and as a child I was always told not to ask.

I am guessing he would have been in his late teens at the time of the 1st WW. although originally from Preston he did spend much of his life in Accrington and in the 1970's was the doorman at Platt's Club (Bulloughs)

Retlaw 09-03-2009 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 690596)
Retlaw

I just wondered if you had anything on Seth Burrows, he was my step-grandfather. He never talked about his war experiences and as a child I was always told not to ask.

I am guessing he would have been in his late teens at the time of the 1st WW. although originally from Preston he did spend much of his life in Accrington and in the 1970's was the doorman at Platt's Club (Bulloughs)

Seth Smith Burrows Private. 1526. 1st East Lancs. Lived at 26 Union St, Accrington. Wrote home to his parents in June 1915 that he was in hospital in Malta, suffering fromn six bullet wounds in his leg, I'll soon be back in England. Seth was discharged frrom the army 9-8-1916.
formerly worked at Entwistle & Kenyons.

Retlaw

polly 09-03-2009 10:05

Thanks for that Retlaw. I have learnt more from your post about him than i
I learn t in the last 40+ years.

just one further question, how do you k now what he wrote home?

steeljack 14-03-2009 01:02

Retlaw , came across this link on the BBC website , maybe of interest to you

BBC - Today

Retlaw 14-03-2009 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 692208)
Retlaw , came across this link on the BBC website , maybe of interest to you

BBC - Today

Many thanks Steeljack, I'll keep an eye on it.

Retlaw.

spw 22-12-2009 21:14

1 Attachment(s)
I've got some photographs and postcards in addition to the attached which I will scan over the Christmas break.

Retlaw 22-12-2009 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by spw (Post 771414)
I've got some photographs and postcards in addition to the attached which I will scan over the Christmas break.

The answer to the question in the poem, how many lads from Accrington.
5520 men from Accrington took the Kings Shilling during WW1. Over 500 of them served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, but not all could be called Pals, after July 1st 1916 the pals ceased to exist.

Retlaw.

AngleIron 22-12-2009 22:43

hi Retlow....do you have anything on "Richard Heaton Holgate"? I would be gratefull... think his father was a Cavelryman, but i need to check with my dad will keep you informed

Retlaw 23-12-2009 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngleIron (Post 771449)
hi Retlow....do you have anything on "Richard Heaton Holgate"? I would be gratefull... think his father was a Cavelryman, but i need to check with my dad will keep you informed

There is no one in my files called Richard Heaton HOLGATE.
Question where did he live, the files only cover Greater Accrington.

Retlaw.

Andrew Jackson 23-12-2009 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngleIron (Post 771449)

Hi - you can download some or all of Richard's army service record from the Ancestry website. I'm also sending a pm to you.

Andrew

Mark2009 25-12-2009 12:29

Retlaw, I wonder if you have any info on my grandad Fred todd . He was in the Guards machine gun regiment. His service no was 6797
Thanks, Mark

Retlaw 25-12-2009 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 772042)
Retlaw, I wonder if you have any info on my grandad Fred todd . He was in the Guards machine gun regiment. His service no was 6797
Thanks, Mark

Fred Todd.
Pte. 6797. Guards M.G.C.
19 Rutland St, Accrington.
Former Accrington Borough Police Constable.

Not found anything in the papers out him yet,
or any pictures of him.
I do remember a Todd on Accy Police force, the one I knew was an Inspector, don't know if its the same man or not.

You had to be 6ft or more to get on Accy police, quite a number of them served in WW1.
A few of them were reservists and were called up in August 1914. The other one I knew was Joe Firth, he was in the Grenadier Guards.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 25-12-2009 21:33

My Father - Joseph Yates was too young for the Accrington Pals, but he was woumded at the seconf Battle of The Somme and was sent to Weston Super Mare for recuperation - I did my RAF Trade training there some 40 years later.
I am sure I have a photograph of him in uniform, so will search this weekend and try and find it and forward a copy to you.

Retlaw 25-12-2009 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 772136)
My Father - Joseph Yates was too young for the Accrington Pals, but he was woumded at the seconf Battle of The Somme and was sent to Weston Super Mare for recuperation - I did my RAF Trade training there some 40 years later.
I am sure I have a photograph of him in uniform, so will search this weekend and try and find it and forward a copy to you.

I've got three Joseph Yates where did he live Ossy or Clayton.

Retlaw.

Mark2009 26-12-2009 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 772083)
Fred Todd.
Pte. 6797. Guards M.G.C.
19 Rutland St, Accrington.
Former Accrington Borough Police Constable.

Not found anything in the papers out him yet,
or any pictures of him.
I do remember a Todd on Accy Police force, the one I knew was an Inspector, don't know if its the same man or not.

You had to be 6ft or more to get on Accy police, quite a number of them served in WW1.
A few of them were reservists and were called up in August 1914. The other one I knew was Joe Firth, he was in the Grenadier Guards.

Retlaw.

Retlaw, the inspector was Nathan Todd, who was Freds brother.
Thanks for the info
Mark

Retlaw 26-12-2009 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 772200)
Retlaw, the inspector was Nathan Todd, who was Freds brother.
Thanks for the info
Mark

Thats the one, Nat Todd, could'nt remember his first name, I used to call him Herman Goering, especially when he was being driven round in the back of the open police car, he were big, and looked even bigger in his uniform wi all the gold braid and scrambled egg on it.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 26-12-2009 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 772157)
I've got three Joseph Yates where did he live Ossy or Clayton.

Retlaw.

Certain he came from Ossy as I believe he was christened at Emmanuel Church - he was born in September (?) 1899

Retlaw 26-12-2009 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 772258)
Certain he came from Ossy as I believe he was christened at Emmanuel Church - he was born in September (?) 1899

He must be this one then.

Joseph YATES
Private 310918. 25th Squad Army Service Corps.
lived at 17 Hornby St, Oswaldtwistle.

from the size of his number he was probably in the late 1917 batch. Not found any more about him yet, when I do I'll let you know.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 26-12-2009 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 772269)

Joseph YATES

from the size of his number he was probably in the late 1917 batch. Not found any more about him yet, when I do I'll let you know.

Retlaw.

Thanks Retlaw.
He suffered grenade shrapnel wounds to his right hand and went to the rehab hos[ital in Weston - super - Mare. The place was still functioning as a hospital in 1962 when he came to visit us in Weston.
He went on to become a foreman at H & B in the Ring Room and subsequently became the supervisor in the Toolroom there, followed chap called Crawshaw I think.
Thatnk you for your efforts on my behalf.

MargaretR 26-12-2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 772269)

Joseph YATES

Retlaw.

I was born at 17 Hornby St and lived there for 18 yrs (1942 - 1961)
My parents bought that house early in their marriage in mid '30s I think, and lived there until my dad retired.
Small world isn't it?:D

Retlaw 26-12-2009 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 772287)
Thanks Retlaw.
He suffered grenade shrapnel wounds to his right hand and went to the rehab hos[ital in Weston - super - Mare. The place was still functioning as a hospital in 1962 when he came to visit us in Weston.
He went on to become a foreman at H & B in the Ring Room and subsequently became the supervisor in the Toolroom there, followed chap called Crawshaw I think.
Thatnk you for your efforts on my behalf.

Hi Barrie.
I've probably met him and didn't know it, I worked at Bulloughs in the Pattern Shop during the 1950's, the Tool Room did quite a bit of work for the Pattern Shop, when we had a large run on a product we had to make things in double & triple contraction, and then go to the Tool Room, and check the patterns which were mounted on plates against the original specs.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 26-12-2009 16:38

[quote=Retlaw;772308]Hi Barrie.
I've probably met him and didn't know it, I worked at Bulloughs in the Pattern Shop during the 1950's, the Tool Room did quite a bit of work for the Pattern Shop, when we had a large run on a product we had to make things in double & triple contraction, and then go to the Tool Room, and check the patterns which were mounted on plates against the original specs.

Retlaw.[/quot

He probably moved from Ring Room to Tool Room in the mid '50s - so many things went through my head at that time, cycling, football, girls, Thwaites. He was pretty well known around the clubs i think, used to recite monologues.

Retlaw 26-12-2009 20:14

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs B (Post 683394)

Hi Mrs B.
I have'nt forgotten your quest for
Swann, came across this today looking for something else.

Retlaw.

Andrew Jackson 31-12-2009 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 772042)
Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Your grandad's army service record is available for download from Ancestry. Will send you a pm.

All the best, Andrew

Mark2009 31-12-2009 16:12

Thanks v much Andrew I will reply via PM
Mark

Alan Gilmartin 02-01-2010 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 683841)
Do you have a picture of him.

Private 21179. Loyal North Lancs
September 1915. Mrs Counsell, 37 Willow St, C-l-Moors, has been notified that her brother Private Anthony Gilmartin, has been posted as missing since August 9th last. Anthony has previously served as Private 12076 in the East Lancs Regmt. Before the war he worked at Whinisle pit. His name is on
St Mary's Church War Memorial and Clayton le Moors War Memorial.

Retlaw.

Sorry to take so long to get back Retlaw, I wish I did have a photo & more infomation, but I didnt know anything at all about him, Where is Whinisle pit.

Retlaw 02-01-2010 11:58

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 774342)
Sorry to take so long to get back Retlaw, I wish I did have a photo & more infomation, but I didnt know anything at all about him, Where is Whinisle pit.

Hi Alan.
All I know is that it was somewhere in Clayton le Moors.

The attached is Anthony Gilmartin.

Retlaw.

katex 02-01-2010 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 774531)
Hi Alan.
All I know is that it was somewhere in Clayton le Moors.

The attached is Anthony Gilmartin.

Retlaw.

Gosh Retlaw ... so young looking ... brings it home to you. :(

Retlaw 02-01-2010 13:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 774540)
Gosh Retlaw ... so young looking ... brings it home to you. :(

If you think he looks young, have a look at this bunch, some of them look like the don't even shave.
I think when they got to Fulwood a lot of them would be sent home.

Retlaw.

Alan Gilmartin 03-01-2010 00:31

Many thanks Retlaw, what a shock to see a photo of him he only looks about 12. I know he lied about his age, parents tried to get him back but to late he was on his way. Dont know why they notified his sister Catherine, Im sure his mum &dad were still living, I ask my dad. Thanks again.

Alan Gilmartin 03-01-2010 00:33

I know they lived in Willow St, Clayton.