Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Fraser Eagle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/fraser-eagle-45669.html)

Atarah 18-02-2009 03:27

Fraser Eagle

Hi, am putting this under "History" cos this is best place. Poor Fraser Eagle! Laid off most of their staff on Monday 16th Feb 2009 (me included!).
They of course started life in a small garage at Tanpits, Church, then grew and grew into holidays and also rail replacement.
Sad times!

Atarah

Bob Dobson 18-02-2009 08:26

Re: Fraser Eagle

A check with my 1951 Barretts directory confirms what I thought - Atarah is mistaken, or perhaps she hasn't gone back far enough. I remember Fraser's being in Water St ( bottom end , No 17.They teamed up with the firm at Antley whose name escapes me.( Eagle maybe) In 1951 there was also Ribblesdale Coachways 64 Abbey st( a shop), Benson Motors , Barnes St & Taylor Bros, Queen's rd/Robert st.

Atarah has started a good thread here. Charas will be fondly remembered. The Eagle has set off.

MargaretR 18-02-2009 09:32

I know some Fraser Eagle employees, past and present.
The expansion of the business went too fast and too many chiefs got themselves flash motors at the firms expense.
The extravagance of the office interior of the place at Padiham also amazed me.
Marble and palm trees just isn't the norm for a company that size.
I got £20 High St voucher, a free buffet and chauffeur transport there and back, just for expressing an opinion on their brochure - prolifigate waste

jaysay 18-02-2009 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 681690)
Hi, am putting this under "History" cos this is best place. Poor Fraser Eagle! Laid off most of their staff on Monday 16th Feb 2009 (me included!).
They of course started life in a small garage at Tanpits, Church, then grew and grew into holidays and also rail replacement.
Sad times!

Atarah

The Eagle part of the firm was started by a chap called Albert Benson, who started up just after the war, his first garage was at the end of Eagle St. (thus the name Eagle)which is off New Lane Ossy, I live on Eagle St in the 60s and actually helped pull the old garage down when it got very dangerous. Albert moved his business to a Garage in Dale Street Ossy in the 50s (which is near the civic theatre) he sold out to Frasers when he retired, His Wife Betty also had an Hairdressers at the corner of Dale Street

rishton 18-02-2009 16:24

I work for another coach company and a couple of people who I work with have said that the Furnishing and contracts side of the business have been liquidated and they have also heard I lot of the company cars have been reposed by the finance company.

cashman 18-02-2009 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishton (Post 681883)
I work for another coach company and a couple of people who I work with have said that the Furnishing and contracts side of the business have been liquidated and they have also heard I lot of the company cars have been reposed by the finance company.

does that mean the cars are dead?:rofl38::rofl38:

cmonstanley 18-02-2009 17:47

another company who lived for the sharholderand got above themselves going to the wall..just pure greed.lets hope they paid all their dues to stanley..

cashman 18-02-2009 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmonstanley (Post 681938)
another company who lived for the sharholderand got above themselves going to the wall..just pure greed.lets hope they paid all their dues to stanley..

thats a secondary issue, the poor sods that are laid off come first.:rolleyes:

jedimaster 19-02-2009 00:43

that would explain why they got no driver vacancies then

steeljack 19-02-2009 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 681732)
A check with my 1951 Barretts directory confirms what I thought - Atarah is mistaken, or perhaps she hasn't gone back far enough. I remember Fraser's being in Water St ( bottom end , No 17.They teamed up with the firm at Antley whose name escapes me.( Eagle maybe) In 1951 there was also Ribblesdale Coachways 64 Abbey st( a shop), Benson Motors , Barnes St & Taylor Bros, Queen's rd/Robert st.

Atarah has started a good thread here. Charas will be fondly remembered. The Eagle has set off.

Is this the same Ribblesdale that became Ribblesdale/Baty Holt ( blue/grey coachwork) from George st.west in Blackburn ? my Dad used to be the team coach driver for Blackburn Rovers on away games :confused:

Bob Dobson 19-02-2009 08:38

I think it is, as I recall that Ribblesdale didn't have a garage in Abbey St - just a booking office. Somewhere between Oak & Warner Sts I think.

Over at Church, there was a chara firm called Kirkham's.Other firms around in the 50s were Standerwick of Preston, who amalgamated with Ribble. Robinson' of Gt Harwood, and yelloway (Rochdale).

cashman 19-02-2009 10:56

the ribblesdale booking office = bob is spot on, it was just up from Babyland which was at corner of warner/abbey st, think there was them then a barbers,then the ribblesdale office, went to many n away match from yon.:)

jaysay 19-02-2009 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 682338)
I think it is, as I recall that Ribblesdale didn't have a garage in Abbey St - just a booking office. Somewhere between Oak & Warner Sts I think.

Over at Church, there was a chara firm called Kirkham's.Other firms around in the 50s were Standerwick of Preston, who amalgamated with Ribble. Robinson' of Gt Harwood, and yelloway (Rochdale).

Think Robinsons are still going Bob, Green and Black livery, they do mostly tour holidays now, along with the likes of Wallace Arnold, or Wigan Airways as they were know, although I think they may have merged with another company know but not sure

MargaretR 19-02-2009 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 682385)
Think Robinsons are still going Bob, Green and Black livery, they do mostly tour holidays now, along with the likes of Wallace Arnold, or Wigan Airways as they were know, although I think they may have merged with another company know but not sure

I've been on a couple of Robinsons Holidays
(remember my thread about Penhallow Newquay hotel fire)
They mailed me a special offer holiday only last week
They are not 'merged'

Royboy39 19-02-2009 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 682289)
Is this the same Ribblesdale that became Ribblesdale/Baty Holt ( blue/grey coachwork) from George st.west in Blackburn ? my Dad used to be the team coach driver for Blackburn Rovers on away games :confused:

Was your dad Bernard Keogh?

Yes it is the same....The firm was taken over by Robinsons.
Arthur and Cecil Bolton were the owners of Ribblesdale.

Fred Kirkham had Kirkhams Coaches at the bottom of West End.
I think they still operate but now in Haslingden by Fred's son Geoff.
Fred was killed in a traffic accident on his way back from the Motor Show.

Albert Benson had Eagle Coaches in Ossy and sold out to Frasers who were then at Antley.

hazel200 19-02-2009 12:52

hello my grandson works at frazer eagle ,,,it a pity for all the staff to loose there jobs

MargaretR 19-02-2009 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazel200 (Post 682438)
hello my grandson works at frazer eagle ,,,it a pity for all the staff to loose there jobs

I heard 60 office staff and 16 drivers and more to follow soon

beechy 19-02-2009 13:47

the new showroom for car sales
ex Nightingales at Grt Harwood is being emptied
once again sad day for our local lads and lasses

Royboy39 19-02-2009 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 682425)
They are not 'merged'

Sorry Margaret, Robinson's were taken over by Hanson Trust in the 1960's. Hansons were a transport Co from Huddersfield.

MargaretR 19-02-2009 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 682501)
Sorry Margaret, Robinson's were taken over by Hanson Trust in the 1960's. Hansons were a transport Co from Huddersfield.

They still use the name Robinsons on brochures and mailings to me.

Royboy39 19-02-2009 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 682509)
They still use the name Robinsons on brochures and mailings to me.

Still remains under the Robinson name but not a family run business anymore.

jaysay 19-02-2009 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 682425)
They are not 'merged'

Sorry Margaret I meant Wallace Arnolds not Robinsons merging

jedimaster 19-02-2009 19:13

waaly arnolds merged with shearings but there is now talk of them operating in their own right again

keith 19-02-2009 19:48

any one remember philip o'brian did several years with eagle coaches before it became fraser eagle worked with him down at the national coal board moorfield garage his he still around with me now living in sunny morecambe I have lost touch with many of my old workmates of my time both the coal board and gilbraiths

K.S.H 19-02-2009 19:51

Gilbraiths - tankers, commercials or transport? what year/s did you work there?

derekgas 19-02-2009 20:18

Sorry to hear about yours and your colleagues jobs atarah, I hope you find new employment soon.

keith 19-02-2009 21:28

ksh when the moorfield garage closed down on I finished on a friday night and started on the monday morning at thomas gilmartins for the next five years I was driving a six wheel albion tipper here there and everywhere then gibraiths bought out jackand george hindle known as jacks motors and I moved there in order to get experience on artics for the next 15 years covered the country carrying mostly at first manchester liner containers and then the firm devoloped into storage stayed there till they closed down 1982

K.S.H 19-02-2009 21:38

before my time there then but i did work
with a couple who came from gilmartins, les blackburn and i can't remember the other fella's name but it will come too me
Posted via Mobile Device

K.S.H 19-02-2009 21:43

frank hargreaves
Posted via Mobile Device

cashman 19-02-2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith (Post 682716)
ksh when the moorfield garage closed down on I finished on a friday night and started on the monday morning at thomas gilmartins for the next five years I was driving a six wheel albion tipper here there and everywhere then gibraiths bought out jackand george hindle known as jacks motors and I moved there in order to get experience on artics for the next 15 years covered the country carrying mostly at first manchester liner containers and then the firm devoloped into storage stayed there till they closed down 1982

you will know me old mate then keith? Fred Greer.:)

jaysay 20-02-2009 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 682747)
you will know me old mate then keith? Fred Greer.:)

Fred Greer cashy, knew his brother Gottle of:D

bondi38 20-02-2009 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 682435)
Was your dad Bernard Keogh?

Yes it is the same....The firm was taken over by Robinsons.
Arthur and Cecil Bolton were the owners of Ribblesdale.

Fred Kirkham had Kirkhams Coaches at the bottom of West End.
I think they still operate but now in Haslingden by Fred's son Geoff.
Fred was killed in a traffic accident on his way back from the Motor Show.

Albert Benson had Eagle Coaches in Ossy and sold out to Frasers who were then at Antley.

Kirkhams sold out to Rigbys coaches about 5 years ago .
You are right about Fred. Sadley all Geoffs family were killed in plane crash some years ago and Geoff now lives in Gt Harwood

cashman 20-02-2009 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683091)
Kirkhams sold out to Rigbys coaches about 5 years ago .
You are right about Fred. Sadley all Geoffs family were killed in plane crash some years ago and Geoff now lives in Gt Harwood

yeh yer right it was the "Stockport" air crash think mid-late 70s a tragic episode fer many.

bondi38 20-02-2009 17:53

No cashy i am almost sure it was on a flight going into tenerife but i could be wrong it is so long since but i am sure someone will come on and put us right if i am giving false information as they always do.

MargaretR 20-02-2009 17:55

I remember it as Tenerife too

Stumped 20-02-2009 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 681690)
Sad times!

Atarah

Hi Atarah, do you still reckon it's a good idea to book a package holiday with Frazer Eagle?

Royboy39 20-02-2009 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683210)
No cashy i am almost sure it was on a flight going into tenerife but i could be wrong it is so long since but i am sure someone will come on and put us right if i am giving false information as they always do.

Marian...you are a mine of information:...you are right of course.

when the Dan Air jet crashed into a mountain in Tenerife, claiming 146 lives.
They included her dad, former Accrington Stanley soccer star Bob McNichol, her mum Marjorie and her nine-year-old brother Robert, who lived in Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle.
With them were Marjorie’s mother, Mrs Anne Kirkham, 71, and her brother and sister-in-law, Fred and Margaret Threlfall.
Mrs Kirkham was the widow of Fred Kirkham, who had founded the family firm Kirkham’s Coaches.

They were all very good friends of mine.....Marjorie was my cub mistress at Church Kirk....Fred Kirkham was my boss...Fred Threlfall, he was know as uncle Fred was the mechanic and was very badly injured in the accident that killed Fred Kirkham. Jean, Freds other daughter died a couple of months ago, leaving Geoff and his family...I wish them well.

keith 20-02-2009 19:11

ksh I remember les blackburn nickname whirlybird he use to be coming back from yorkshire with his first load before any of the other gilbraith drivers had got out of bed and I worked at gilmartins the same time as frank hargreaves he lived on charter street then but would only drive a four wheeler despite bobby martins the managers pleas big blow for les losing his licence after the big fog crash on the m6 cash For a period at jacks I was shop steward and attended many meetig with fred mostly at manchester where he was to finish up anyway as a fulltime officer we had some hairy meetings moreso with our brothers from liverpool last time I heard of fred he was living in bury but when I knew him he lived in owen street

K.S.H 20-02-2009 19:16

New Les had a nickname but couldn't remember it, never heard owt about him since I finished there about 23 year ago, know Frank died, that would be 20 year ago probably, still lived on Charter St up to his death

Stumped 20-02-2009 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 683237)
Marian...you are a mine of information:...you are right of course.

when the Dan Air jet crashed into a mountain in Tenerife, claiming 146 lives.
They included her dad, former Accrington Stanley soccer star Bob McNichol, her mum Marjorie and her nine-year-old brother Robert, who lived in Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle.
With them were Marjorie’s mother, Mrs Anne Kirkham, 71, and her brother and sister-in-law, Fred and Margaret Threlfall.
Mrs Kirkham was the widow of Fred Kirkham, who had founded the family firm Kirkham’s Coaches.

They were all very good friends of mine.....Marjorie was my cub mistress at Church Kirk....Fred Kirkham was my boss...Fred Threlfall, he was know as uncle Fred was the mechanic and was very badly injured in the accident that killed Fred Kirkham. Jean, Freds other daughter died a couple of months ago, leaving Geoff and his family...I wish them well.

The northern airport on Tenerife has recently been reopened to tourist flights after runway improvements following the collision of the two aircraft, saving holidaymakers wanting to stay in Porta-de-la-cruz a 2-hour transfer journey. Understand it is restricted to Lufthansa at the moment but soon to be opened to other tour operaters.

bondi38 20-02-2009 19:23

Roy i am now going to put you right on Robinsons they were taken over by Holdsworths in 1947 who still own them today and they are just a subsidary company .
The coaches are not green anymore they are dark bue with yellow Robinsons name on them .
Holdsworths are a very big multi millionaire company and i have spent many nights out with their daughter when she comes to Gt Harwood to do buisness with them they did have the Holdsworth name on them but it was a mistake so Mr Holdsworth had them take it off suprising who and what i do know but i dont publish my private life to all and sundry on here dont pay to let everyone know what i am up to but i live life to the full here today maybe gone tomorrow.

MargaretR 20-02-2009 19:30

Coach trips to Holdsworth hotels are a major part of Robinsons business and at least 2 of their drivers have gone on to be hotel managers.
The one who manages their Torquay hotel (Abbey Lawn) is making a very good job of it.(based on my visit 3yrs ago)

Royboy39 20-02-2009 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683262)
Roy i am now going to put you right on Robinsons they were taken over by Holdsworths in 1947 who still own them today and they are just a subsidary company .
The coaches are not green anymore they are dark bue with yellow Robinsons name on them .
Holdsworths are a very big multi millionaire company and i have spent many nights out with their daughter when she comes to Gt Harwood to do buisness with them they did have the Holdsworth name on them but it was a mistake so Mr Holdsworth had them take it off suprising who and what i do know but i dont publish my private life to all and sundry on here dont pay to let everyone know what i am up to but i live life to the full here today maybe gone tomorrow.

Marian....you are absolutely spot on.
Did you know Alan Robinson?

panther 20-02-2009 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 683266)
Coach trips to Holdsworth hotels are a major part of Robinsons business and at least 2 of their drivers have gone on to be hotel managers.
The one who manages their Torquay hotel (Abbey Lawn) is making a very good job of it.(based on my visit 3yrs ago)

Wasnt one set on fire!?

MargaretR 20-02-2009 20:12

Yes - this one
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ire-32971.html

bondi38 20-02-2009 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 682385)

John Robinsons are now dark blue new coaches with robinsons name on in yellow not owned by robinson family anymore they have been owned by Holdsworths multi millianair company own gold mines and haulage company took them over in 1947.
I am in contact with their daughter who i have known for years we go out regulary when she is over here doing promotions for the holidays.

bondi38 22-02-2009 11:40

Alan retired in 1967 went to live in Malta died in about 1975.

bondi38 22-02-2009 11:47

Roy Alan retired in 1967 went to live in Malta and he died round about 1975 if my memory serves me right.

MargaretR 22-02-2009 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683855)
Roy Alan retired in 1967 went to live in Malta and he died round about 1975 if my memory serves me right.

Since this thread is about Fraser Eagle I feel the need to say that this refers to Alan Robinson and not Alan Dyson (owner of Fraser Eagle)

cmonstanley 22-02-2009 12:26

so whats the update on fraser eagle then..

bondi38 22-02-2009 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 683856)
Since this thread is about Fraser Eagle I feel the need to say that this refers to Alan Robinson and not Alan Dyson (owner of Fraser Eagle)

Oh dear i must get my facts right i understand Alan Dyson was just a Director not the owner .
Very sorry madam.

cashman 22-02-2009 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683210)

thanks fer putting me right bondi38, in fact the stockport one was late 60s n it was a couple from blackpool. that i knew from that, got me wires crossed.:)

MargaretR 22-02-2009 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 683868)
Oh dear i must get my facts right i understand Alan Dyson was just a Director not the owner .
Very sorry madam.

It is but a thin line between ownership and directorship
EN for Business - Fly like an eagle
extract-
Dyson is now sole owner of the original group businesses, although management have stakes in some recently-formed subsidiaries. Dyson very much takes a back (non-executive), seat in the running of the business nowadays, according to Dean: “It has to be quite a clinical relationship because otherwise it can get quite sentimental at times.”

jedimaster 22-02-2009 23:33

alan was the owner when they were at tanpits
but is now a mere director and has been for some time
as the whole op was taken out of his hands and run by accountants

cashman 22-02-2009 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedimaster (Post 684136)
alan was the owner when they were at tanpits
but is now a mere director and has been for some time
as the whole op was taken out of his hands and run by accountants

therein could lie the reason?

MargaretR 22-02-2009 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 684149)
therein could lie the reason?

Old age - and spends at lot of time in his house at St Juliens Bay Malta

Ps I cant access the records at Companies House until tomorrow
http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/

shillelagh 23-02-2009 01:57

Well coming back yesterday from spuggies there was coach transfer from lockerbie to lancaster train stations and it was Frazer Eagle doing it. Also there was frazer eagle management consultants hanging around making sure you got on the right coach. I didnt travel on the Frazer Eagle coach .. it was full .. went on one that they'd hired in their name.

coachman 28-02-2009 08:56

they have lost that contract too

lancsdave 04-03-2009 18:38

Heard a rumour that they have actually gone in to administration today.

coachman 04-03-2009 19:45

yes its true .fraser eagle in administration ..but its not down to credit crunch just poor bad management .

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2009 20:49

I am really sorry about that, I have had some really good trips with this firm....and their customer service (IMO) was second to none.

cashman 04-03-2009 20:58

its always the staff were my sympathy falls, one of our members was one.

yerself 04-03-2009 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I have had some really good trips with this firm

I didn't know they dished out magic mushrooms on these old biddies' coach excursions.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2009 21:23

What makes you think that I am an old biddy?

yerself 04-03-2009 21:26

Quote:

What makes you think that I am an old biddy?

Isn't it a prerequisite of booking a coach excursion that you must be over 65?:D

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2009 21:30

No, that is a sad misconception....you don't have to be over 65.
I act as a carer for my elderly mother and I have to say that some of the older generation really do know how to enjoy themselves. They certainly don't need the help of recreational drugs, like magic mushrooms.

A lot of those taking these tours could be classed as middle aged, and sometimes there are children on the tours.

Atarah 04-03-2009 21:54

Fraser Eagle

1 Attachment(s)
Such a shame.
Such lovely coaches! Here are some of the older style ones which I am sure some of you will remember

Atarah

Atarah 04-03-2009 21:55

Fraser Eagle

1 Attachment(s)
And some of the more modern ones

Atarah

yerself 05-03-2009 07:07

Quote:

and sometimes there are children on the tours.

They're with their grandparents, the old biddies.:D:D

Atarah mentions lovely coaches, does anyone remember Peter Hicks? They were always the poshest coaches in Accy.

lancsdave 05-03-2009 14:35

Now official;

BBC NEWS | England | Lancashire | Club's sponsors in administration

pipinfort 05-03-2009 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachman (Post 688871)
..but its not down to credit crunch just poor bad management .

I think the credit crunch is taking the blame for a lot of `bad management` if you ask me, its being used as an excuse to cut cost in quite a lot of still profitable companies.:o

Stumped 05-03-2009 18:49

Visited Fraser Eagle, Padiham on Monday to view some holiday brochures having booked my annual holiday with them for the past six or 7 years. Was told that the computers were down, but if we left a selection of destinations they would be looked up and details phoned to us. Heard straight from the horses mouth today (Thursday) that the company has set liquidation proceedings in motion and it would not be advisable for me to book any holiday with them at this moment in time. I am saddened at the confirmation as Fraser Eagle have always come up trumps for us in the past and their hard working staff are to be commended for all that they have done. They will be sorely missed if indeed the firm goes under as looks very likely. Shame - they should never have moved from their Blackburn Road site.

:wave::wave::wave::wave:.

cmonstanley 05-03-2009 20:21

yep company who tried to sprint before they could jog .the management are to blame for this not the recession.relocating must have cost them the earth in loans. wonder if the downturn in car sales contributed in the loans to start the car side of business.instead of that they should have started a taxi service how come other holiday companies say they arent affected or are they telling lies /dont think ill go abroad for another 2 years to see how the holiday firms steady out..feel sorry for the workforce as i have expierenced redundancy 3 times.......management buy-out?could it be a plan:confused:

jedimaster 05-03-2009 21:07

yes other holiday firms are being hit
as you probably know iwas working for alfa holidays for the past year,
we saw more continental (and uk) tours cancelled last season than any in their history
due to lack of passengers, and in fact many that did run were seriously under booked i must have done at least 5 tours to cornwall with between 12 and 15 people on them last spring, these were obviously run at a loss, and these weren't the only examples,
and I know for a fact that fraser eagle were running tours with less than that
looks like I got out of frasers at the right time (not that it helped my situation much lol)

kingedward 07-03-2009 23:37

i remember trips to the lights with my mum back in the 70`s, then tipping the driver on the way back. good times.

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2009 09:26

On a very recent coach trip with another firm......I overheard the Drivers talking and apparently Alfa are buying up three hotels to add to their empire.......and that Shearings are struggling and have a time limit, by which, if business doesn't improve they will throw in the towel too

jedimaster 08-03-2009 09:40

dont pay too much attention to what drivers say - most of it is idle gossip
all the tour companies are struggling at the moment fighting for fewer and fewer passengers. But this doesnt stop them

Shearings' £5m profit hit by sterling's fall - Travel Trade Gazette

Shearings unveils a brand new look - Group Travel Organiser - Group Travel News, Articles, and Events

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2009 09:44

Well, ma and i travel on these trips quite a bit and we have been on those coach trips where there have only been 14 folk on board....so we know that they must be running at a loss.

The high cost of fuel during last year must have been crippling for the companies too.

Atarah 10-03-2009 06:34

Deary deary me. Make yourself a brew and just read the comments section.

Fraser Eagle to appoint administrator (From Lancashire Telegraph)

click on this link, it does work!

MargaretR 10-03-2009 09:56

Those comments on the Telegraph website echo the rumours that have been doing the rounds - well worth the long read - shame that ordinary workers suffer whilst the eagle feathers its own nest

cashman 10-03-2009 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 690939)
Those comments on the Telegraph website echo the rumours that have been doing the rounds - well worth the long read - shame that ordinary workers suffer whilst the eagle feathers its own nest

agree lets hope they get a result.

Atarah 10-03-2009 20:42

The staff got the BAD news today

R.I.P. Fraser Eagle 10th March 2009

Macca35 14-03-2009 12:11

Those of us who work in the travel industry all know things aren't good, the tragic demise of Fraser Eagle was indeed a very sad day for the trade. I personally know a family who have been directly affected by the collapse of FE, and my thoughts are with them, and everyone else who has lost their job as a result of the collapse.

Atarah 27-03-2009 22:10

Fraser Eagle

1 Attachment(s)
What a sad, sad sight. It should be buzzing, not lying empty! Poor Fraser Eagle, such a good place to work for. Am really missing the place.

cashman 27-03-2009 22:14

heard a whisper they are starting again wi coaches under a new guise,? may be just crap, but if true won't do any good fer most of the poor sods that lost their jobs.:(

lancsdave 27-03-2009 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 697606)
heard a whisper they are starting again wi coaches under a new guise,? may be just crap, but if true won't do any good fer most of the poor sods that lost their jobs.:(

Was reported in the telgraph. Scandalous is about the politest word I can think of :rolleyes:
Fraser Eagle boss has a new firm (From Lancashire Telegraph)

cashman 27-03-2009 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 697610)
Was reported in the telgraph. Scandalous is about the politest word I can think of :rolleyes:

funny how the rules always help the money people n do sod all fer the poor sods left in the crap.:mad:

jaysay 28-03-2009 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 697610)

I've always though that was a load of crap, people being able to start a new business, whilst the company they once owned owes creditors oodles of cash, but I suppose that's why they open limited companies. I don't know what it costs now, but in the early 80s you could buy a shelf company for around £250

Tealeaf 28-03-2009 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 697724)
I've always though that was a load of crap, people being able to start a new business, whilst the company they once owned owes creditors oodles of cash, but I suppose that's why they open limited companies. I don't know what it costs now, but in the early 80s you could buy a shelf company for around £250

The term used in business for this type of scam is that of a 'phoenix' company. I suppose this is the first time the eagle has risen from the ashes.

gigglemal 01-04-2009 18:39

Apart from the employees who lost their jobs, and all the suppliers/creditors who have been caught up in this, it's that this Connect Point 'phoenix' company are trying to take over the FE assets, contracts and order book whilst trying to hoodwink the same suppliers into working for them - without acknowledging they are still a Fraser Eagle business.

As if it's not bad enough that the administrators have seemingly let the FE coaches be 'appropriated' by another company, they're letting whatever saleable assets they do have slip by from under their noses.

Shocking.

MargaretR 01-04-2009 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigglemal (Post 699172)
Apart from the employees who lost their jobs, and all the suppliers/creditors who have been caught up in this, it's that this Connect Point 'phoenix' company are trying to take over the FE assets, contracts and order book whilst trying to hoodwink the same suppliers into working for them - without acknowledging they are still a Fraser Eagle business.

As if it's not bad enough that the administrators have seemingly let the FE coaches be 'appropriated' by another company, they're letting whatever saleable assets they do have slip by from under their noses.

Shocking.

I heard that some coaches had been given to creditors before the receivers were called in.
Frasers subcontracted other coach firms to do rail replacement work and many were complaining they hadn't been paid for months on end in the year leading up to them folding.

gigglemal 02-04-2009 05:51

That's only the thin end of the wedge Margaret.

How about all the cars from FE cars being 'given' to a director and allowed to form up as Martholme Motor Company, and continue trading on the same premised in Gt Harwood?

How about at least 3 coaches still running around with Walton Swift banners in, just with the FE name removed from the sides?

How about the forward coach order book being in the hands of Walton Swift?

How about the taxi contracts being fulfilled by Connect Point UK, the renamed Fraser Eagle Business Solutions?

The administrator has not received a penny yet, in fact Connect Point have not put a penny into the business. They've borrowed up to 600k, intend paying 100k professional fees, 100k for the fixtures and fittings of Malta offices, yet what assets does the business have if the cars, coaches, contracts are all in the hands of others?

Taxi firms - many of which are creditors are FE - have been approached by Connect Point, the phoenix company of Kevin Dean, who trade from Malta, in the FE offices there, with FE staff and FE assets.

Sadly, some of these taxi firms are unaware who they are actually dealing with, as they are asked to invoice a third company (Glenvale Walk Limited) which just happens to have Kevin Dean as a Director, as well as Iain Campbell, whose financial planning partnership are the registered office of the company.

FE's accounts payable are estimated (conservatively) to be at least 4 million, including HMRC. Connect Point estimate the Virgin Trains contract to be worth 6 million alone, and they are relying on Invoice Finance to capitalise their operation once their initial borrowing has funded the scam.

Never mind that FE were clearly trading insolvent since at least last Summer, Kevin Dean simply should not be allowed to get away with this. Hopefully more people will become aware of this situation, and make the appropriate complaints.

Apparently, both BERR & the SFO have received a large amounts of complaints pertaining the conduct of the Directors, especially Kevin Dean. Away from the corporate responsibility aspect, or the lack of conscience, he may think he's got away with it in Malta with his new yacht and villa. However, the amount of money owed and the amount of creditors won't simply go away - no matter what he thinks.

One also has to question the conduct of the administrators in allowing external companies to pillage any potential saleable assets, including the contracts, order book etc., to be appropriated without any revenue? Even if they managed to find a buyer, what value is left?

Anyone with any interest in the Fraser Eagle debacle should check out the| Fraser Eagle Administration Forum

jaysay 02-04-2009 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigglemal (Post 699172)

Shocking.

There should be a law that stops people who were directors of a limited company that goes bust, from forming another company for a minimum of two years, or even longer:(

katex 02-04-2009 18:41

Have you gone into that link link that Gigglemal put up put up ? Was fascinated .... lots of emotions in there which reflects how employees/daughter (?) of M.D./taxi firms of Fraser Eagle feels .. good read.

gigglemal 02-04-2009 22:17

sorry for posting twice earlier folks :-( Didn't know how to delete it - apologies.

The thread Katex refers to is quite interesting, there's a general consensus that the '17 yo daughter' was in fact Kevin Dean, rather than his daughter. It certainly seemed coincidental that several pro-FE posts were put up at similar times, whilst attempting to slight some of KD's detractors.

Best of all IMO was when someone who claimed to be a 'voice of reason' against the scapegoating of Kevin and FE turned out to have been working from Malta all along, under the Connect Point phoenix company.

Glad you like it Katex, it's their to help, get the story out and hopefully engage others to contribute. It's already stopped a couple of taxi firms (that were owed money by FE) being taken in by the Connect Point scam.

katex 02-04-2009 22:36

I didn't feel that the posts by the 'supposed' posts by Rachel Dean, 17 year old daughter of Kevin Dean, were anything but her Gigglemal .. maybe with someone over the shoulder at most ... too juvenile.

I understand perfectly how you feel here having worked for a company that went into administration last June .. luckily bought by another company, but without loss of people's jobs, and the directors still coming out smelling with roses ... associate company was Oswaldtwistle Mills.

They did fight hard to keep the company going .. well the Chairman at least .. but a little more of the truth to staff at least 6 months before they folded would have not gone unresponded .. they would have done anything to help if the directors had had the guts to admit they were in trouble. Ok .. they did a bit ... but not the full truth.

jaysay 03-04-2009 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 699769)
I didn't feel that the posts by the 'supposed' posts by Rachel Dean, 17 year old daughter of Kevin Dean, were anything but her Gigglemal .. maybe with someone over the shoulder at most ... too juvenile.

I understand perfectly how you feel here having worked for a company that went into administration last June .. luckily bought by another company, but without loss of people's jobs, and the directors still coming out smelling with roses ... associate company was Oswaldtwistle Mills.

They did fight hard to keep the company going .. well the Chairman at least .. but a little more of the truth to staff at least 6 months before they folded would have not gone unresponded .. they would have done anything to help if the directors had had the guts to admit they were in trouble. Ok .. they did a bit ... but not the full truth.

The thing is kate its not the directors who are in trouble, its their company that's got the problems and the people they employ. If the firm folds they walk away unscathed, with their bank balance, house and car intact, then they just start again on Monday morning like nothing has happened, they don't give a monkeys for anybody but themselves:(

Atarah 05-04-2009 18:57

Has the link been taken off? I cant access it????? I wanted to read it too.
Atarah

Atarah 13-04-2009 15:23

Would appear that a few of the FE drives have got fixed up with Walton Swift, Preston area, so thats good to hear.

Atarah

MargaretR 13-04-2009 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 703921)
Would appear that a few of the FE drives have got fixed up with Walton Swift, Preston area, so thats good to hear.

Atarah

Do you know if John T (Dellboy) is one of them?