Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The area I grew up in. Woodnook (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-area-i-grew-up-in-woodnook-45952.html)

Atarah 02-03-2009 09:42

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, here are a couple of old views of my childhood area.
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah

wadey 02-03-2009 13:55

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Great photos, will you put them in The Gallery?

Retlaw 02-03-2009 14:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687679)
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah

Your last view of the Star Inn.
Remember it.

Retlaw.

cashman 02-03-2009 14:15

cheers atarah n retlaw great pics, the star was n owd watering hole of mine mid 60s.:D when Thwaites did have a good pint.:)

Retlaw 02-03-2009 15:05

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687679)

Atarah

Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.

Atarah 02-03-2009 17:47

Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah

ossy kid 02-03-2009 17:48

Where did you live Atarah? I lived on the corner of Nelson and Napier in the early 50s. My grandparents lived on Grange St and I used to visit and old chap on the corner of Wellington st. and South st. called Jack. We used to play cricket somewhere at the back of the fire station between some old garages. Seems like a lifetime ago.

cherokee 02-03-2009 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687769)
Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.

Blimey how times have changed

Atarah 02-03-2009 17:56

South Street - thats where I grew up!

Atarah

wadey 02-03-2009 20:45

Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?

Retlaw 02-03-2009 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 687907)
Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?

Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw

Retlaw 02-03-2009 21:17

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687842)
Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah

That butchers shop were actually Kemp and Murray's. Tom Kemp had West Farm in the post and pre war period.
Heres another reminder of the past and present.

Retlaw.

cashman 02-03-2009 21:25

Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before.:) Did the Tramlines not run down there though?:confused:

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 687919)
Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before.:) Did the Tramlines not run down there though?:confused:

Nay coffin dodger.
Why the eck would tramlines leave Manchester Rd to go down Grange Lane, where would they be going, there were nowt at bottom, only Sykes St, which is now called Spring Gardens. The original Spring Gardens was in Abbey St. If you compare the two photo's you'l see where the bottom floor of the houses on the right, were lost when Grange Lane were made up for the Fire Station.
I have some photo's of the inside of one of those cellars
Took them about 20 years ago when the owner was doing the property up.
Retlaw.

cherokee 02-03-2009 23:11

Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them

cashman 02-03-2009 23:15

there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath.:confused: unless it was just a siding or run off?:confused:

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 687963)
Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them

Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 02-03-2009 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 687965)
there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath.:confused: unless it was just a siding or run off?:confused:

Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.

cherokee 02-03-2009 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687966)
Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.

Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.

cashman 02-03-2009 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687968)
Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.

i definately saw em from outside the tramway retlaw, was sure they went down yon, but i don't doubt yer word, musta been Manchester Rd then, in my defence Pint Crystals were a lovely bottle.:D

wadey 03-03-2009 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 687910)
Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw

Thanks for that

Retlaw 03-03-2009 15:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 687970)
Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.

This is the only picture I have around that area. Its at the bottom of Hollins Lane, the first cottage of Daisy Hill is on the left, its since been demolished.

Retlaw.

Atarah 03-03-2009 18:38

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah

Retlaw 03-03-2009 22:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 688119)
Thanks for that

Found a picture showing the joiners shop, its in the background, in Bugle yard, it was taken in 1933, when they laid the foundation stone for the Fire Station in Manchester Rd.

Retlaw

Retlaw 03-03-2009 22:48

1 Attachment(s)
This picture is for Atarah.

Retlaw.

Mancie 03-03-2009 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 688470)
This picture is for Atarah.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-st.-1964..jpg
Retlaw.

The photo looks older than 1964 retlaw.. I moved to Hudson St at the top of South St in 1968 and Nuttal Street didn't look like that.

cashman 03-03-2009 23:03

what was the "Church" across from the police station?, think Central Motors took the land when demolished.

cherokee 04-03-2009 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688322)
Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah

Yes I think they are the ones.
My grand dad lived in one further up . I think it was the 2nd from the top. They all looked so small from the outside too with little windows and all had green front doors.
I remember they were small and cosy inside too. and they shared a communial back yard.

cashman 04-03-2009 00:15

was it one of that row where Iassac lived?

cherokee 04-03-2009 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 688519)
was it one of that row where Iassac lived?

Dont know cashy, I was only little , and my brain was only small too so wouldnt have remembered much .
HEHEHE not much changed really i know i know :p thats before ya say owt

Atarah 04-03-2009 07:00

Hi, Issac lived on the row lower down than the picture I have recently shown of Daisy Hill. He lived a couple of houses below where the postbox is in the wall, corner of Manc Road and Christ Church Street. He is STILL living in the area. I remember Issac BEING IN CHRIST CHURCH CHOIR!

The photo which Retlaw has posted showing the group of people. This is a photo of the laying of the foundation stone of the Fire Station. My great uncle George Hindle is on it! He is the one standing to the left of the actual foundation stone (neXt to two upright pieces of wood). He was a stone mason for Cunliffe's the builders (thE foundation stone can still be seen by the entrance to the "Courts" on Manc Road)

Atarah

Atarah 04-03-2009 07:06

1 Attachment(s)
Although this is an old view, it does show The Wesley church. This was the one across from the Police Station on Spring Gardens and on the corner of Manc Road. I remember as a kid, they ran a "holiday club" from the church premises. Every Friday night I had a little job to do for my gran - taking the club card and the money to The Wesley! The other church which was across the way, also a car park area now, was The New Jerusalem, which you can just see on this photograph.

Atarah

cashman 04-03-2009 09:01

thanks atarah, the name had completely slipped my mind, do you remember the caravan, which was tucked away around the back end of the church? a couple of blokes i knew used to kip in it, one sadly croaked about 3 weeks ago.

Wynonie Harris 04-03-2009 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688568)
Hi, Issac lived on the row lower down than the picture I have recently shown of Daisy Hill. He lived a couple of houses below where the postbox is in the wall, corner of Manc Road and Christ Church Street. He is STILL living in the area. I remember Issac BEING IN CHRIST CHURCH CHOIR!

That's right, remember going round to his gaff a couple of times. The thought of Isaac as a choirboy is mindboggling!! :D

cashman 04-03-2009 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688568)

The photo which Retlaw has posted showing the group of people. This is a photo of the laying of the foundation stone of the Fire Station. My great uncle George Hindle is on it! He is the one standing to the left of the actual foundation stone (neXt to two upright pieces of wood). He was a stone mason for Cunliffe's the builders (thE foundation stone can still be seen by the entrance to the "Courts" on Manc Road)

Atarah

he was living on wellington street, before the pop club about 18 months ago, cos i was talking to him at his door.:)

Retlaw 04-03-2009 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 688473)
The photo looks older than 1964 retlaw.. I moved to Hudson St at the top of South St in 1968 and Nuttal Street didn't look like that.

It was taken in 1964, I have aalways written the date on photo when I developed them and took them out of the dryer. Those properties were demolished in 1966.
Look at the picture of the Star Inn that was 1966.
Retlaw.

Retlaw 04-03-2009 11:34

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the old Wesleyan Chapel, the site where the Fire Station was to be is on the left. The two black things at the top of the picture, are the over head supports for the electric tram wires.

Retlaw.

Retlaw 04-03-2009 11:46

1 Attachment(s)
Another picture of Nuttall St in 1964.

Retlaw.

cashman 04-03-2009 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 688660)
It was taken in 1964, I have aalways written the date on photo when I developed them and took them out of the dryer. Those properties were demolished in 1966.
Look at the picture of the Star Inn that was 1966.
Retlaw.

wasn't sure of the year, but i remember em still there in the 60s, started going in the Star around 63 so they were there mancie.:)

Atarah 04-03-2009 12:32

Remembering more ....... on Nuttall Street, on the block facing the Star Inn, was an Off Licence, we used to call them "selling out shops", owned by the McCartney family. I remember a daughter being called Janet. I used to go to Christ Church, no I will rephrase that, I "had" to go to Christ Church, we were made to do in those days. Even I was in the choir!!! Tee hee. Had to go twice a day, morning service and evening service. T'was the Rev. Wenter in those days. The Sunday School was in Belfield Road, St Marys.

Atarah

Atarah

Margaret Pilkington 04-03-2009 12:44

I grew up on Riley's Hill...went to the Wesley Methodist Church and sunday school.......can remember many of the places being talked about..... a lot of them were where we played out.
I remember Rev Wenter, and the Mc Cartney family......my dear old Gran used to come over from Sheffield and would stop off to have a glass of beer in the Star....and another on in the Britt....and was half kettled by the time she got to our house.

Ma still lives on Riley's Hill.

Wynonie Harris 04-03-2009 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688678)
we used to call them "selling out shops"

I remember when we called them that! There was one just round the corner from us in Willows Lane, owned by Mr and Mrs Britcliffe. They had a young son called Peter...wonder whatever happened to him? ;)

Atarah 04-03-2009 13:24

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo, just before demolition, of the old Sunday School we have mentioned - Woodnook St Mary's.
All I have in my head is an old old school room, with big old "joined" desks around 3 sides of the room, leaving the centre free for the teacher to walk infront of you (and probably scare you to death!)

Atarah

Taggy 04-03-2009 17:05

Atarah, are you getting mixed up between Christ Church School Hall and Woodnook St Marys School? The picture you show is as you say Woodnook St Marys, this was my junior school, but i'm pretty sure it was'nt used as a Sunday School, but the Church Hall next to Christ Church itself was, it was also used for Scouts/cubs too. Its now flats.

I wonder if anyone recalls the disabled man called Fred, who used to live in the house on Clement Street straight opposite Woodnook St Marys, he used to come across to the school and shake hands through the railings....and a damned strong grip he had too!, its the house that you can just see the corner of in your photo Atarah!

Best Regards - Taggy

Taggy 04-03-2009 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 687842)

Atarah

I recall Tommy Murrays butchers...best butcher in town. Always remember him giving the Chickens feet to us kids so we could pull the tendon and make the feet open and close!!

I also remember the lovely old house where the extension was built for the Pop club. It got rented out for a while after the old lady died but was'nt looked after properly and went downhill and was then demolished. Before the Pop club extension was built, this area was left as "spare ground" for a few years and we used to hold our Bonfire Nights there. The Pop club was always there prior to the extension being built but just consisted of a couple of terrace houses knocked through. I remember going on one of there Summer Trips to Southport! I used to live on Royds Street then, from being born in 1957 till 1987!

Best Regards - Taggy

ossy kid 04-03-2009 18:51

What great photo,s and memories everyone has. I used to go to the butchers on Grange St for a sheeps head for my granny on Friday for her tea. Anyone remember the Cotton club on Cotton St, we went there as kids on Saturday night, there was a room for us to gather while the "grown ups" played housy housy.

Atarah 04-03-2009 21:32

Hi Taggy, no, am not mistaken. We used to go to Woodnook St Mary's for Sunday School lessons, honest! And then we also used the Church Hall, now flats as you say, for other things as well, pantomines and jumble sales etc.

Taggy 05-03-2009 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 688931)
Hi Taggy, no, am not mistaken. We used to go to Woodnook St Mary's for Sunday School lessons, honest! And then we also used the Church Hall, now flats as you say, for other things as well, pantomines and jumble sales etc.

What years was this Atarah? I can only assume it was before i went there, have spoken to Magpie and she cant recall the Sunday school there either. They did have joined wooden desks, but they wer'nt around the edge of the room, they were set out in rows facing the blackboards. Mr Bartons class had small partitions dividing the room off, and there was another classroom divided by large floor to ceiling partitions which could also be rolled back. That room was used by Mr Phillips, Mr Clegg then Mr Whalley.

Was it Justin Wenter who used to take the school or not? He was the Vicar at Christ Church when i was born, in fact he Christened me! He used to like a drink or two i was told, apparently he stunk of drink at my Christening!!....This might explain something!!! LOL!! His daughter Vicky was later on a Stewardess at the Canine Club. George Storey took over at Christ Church after him....another vicar who loved a drop or two!!!

I also recall the club on Cotton Street, or Cotton Street Mission as i think it was called. I'm scratching my head trying to recall the name of the couple that ran it. They lived next door to my Gran on Belfield road, he was called Jim and was a Major in the Army.

Best Regards - Taggy

Ahh....just remembered there names Major and Mrs Jim Connor! There was also an old lady who used to help there called Mary Lyon.

Retlaw 05-03-2009 21:06

1 Attachment(s)
One of my Fire Brigade collection.

Retlaw.

Atarah 05-03-2009 23:26

1 Attachment(s)
Old view of Cotton Street School, all I can find at the moment

Re Woodnook St Mary's as a Sunday School. Think I have mentioned this before, but this is one of the few hymns which sticks in my mind from my childhood days ....."Dropping, dropping, dropping, dropping, hear the pennies fall. They belong to Jesus, he shall have them all". This we sang as someone went round with the collection Plate - a wooden box on the end of a "stick".

Atarah

Shaf 27-12-2009 23:22

Hey Everyone,
I used to live on wellington street ,then on royds street and finally on higher antley street, I also went to Wood Nook St Marys from about 1966-1970. Wnder if Anyone Remembers Me?

Shaf 27-12-2009 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 688682)
I grew up on Riley's Hill...went to the Wesley Methodist Church and sunday school.......can remember many of the places being talked about..... a lot of them were where we played out.
I remember Rev Wenter, and the Mc Cartney family......my dear old Gran used to come over from Sheffield and would stop off to have a glass of beer in the Star....and another on in the Britt....and was half kettled by the time she got to our house.

Ma still lives on Riley's Hill.

Hey ya ,
Are you one of the Duxburys , i remember coming to your house sometimes when i was little, used to be mates with your John.My names Shaf , have a older brother Imtiaz, Sister Yasmin, ANd younger Brother Shaz.Seems like a life time ago. See Ya.

cashman 28-12-2009 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaf (Post 772617)
Hey ya ,
Are you one of the Duxburys , i remember coming to your house sometimes when i was little, used to be mates with your John.My names Shaf , have a older brother Imtiaz, Sister Yasmin, ANd younger Brother Shaz.Seems like a life time ago. See Ya.

hi shaf, micks n owd mate of mine aint seen him fer about 12 months though.:);)

Margaret Pilkington 28-12-2009 09:33

Yes, but I had moved out by the time you visited my brothers.......I married in 1966 and moved to foreign places.......Clayton.
And yes Cashy......Mick duxbury is my younger brother.

cashman 28-12-2009 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 772661)
Yes, but I had moved out by the time you visited my brothers.......I married in 1966 and moved to foreign places.......Clayton.
And yes Cashy......Mick duxbury is my younger brother.

Bloody hell, aint that a turn up,:) we bin mates since 60s, small world,:)

Margaret Pilkington 28-12-2009 10:40

It is a small world Cashy......next news, we'll be related:D

shillelagh 28-12-2009 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 772712)
It is a small world Cashy......next news, we'll be related:D

Posted via Mobile Device now that would be scary! Headlines in accy observer Margaret p blogger extraordinaire related to cashy ... Ok it aint the over 18s ....

Margaret Pilkington 28-12-2009 13:55

Hey Jen....I didn't know I was blogger extraordinaire.......I'll have to get my doors widened now :D

shillelagh 28-12-2009 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 772787)
Hey Jen....I didn't know I was blogger extraordinaire.......I'll have to get my doors widened now :D

Posted via Mobile Device why would yr doors have to be widened? You've not put that much weight on over christmas have you? margaret your blogs are brill ... Just keep doing them please :-)

Margaret Pilkington 28-12-2009 14:24

No Jen......haven't had no naughty stuff...no trifle....no cake....no alcohol.
I'm thinking of becoming a nun.......I ain't had nun, I'm not getting nun and I don't want nun.

Glad you like the blogs though.......I have to say that I have run out of steam a bit of late.......going out right now for a bucket of coal.

And to the mods......sorry for the thread wander.

Shaf 28-12-2009 14:45

Hey Ya,
As i recall you had a lot of brothers did n't you? And i was mates with your mick,if you see him will you say hi from me .You would n't know where i could see some old photo's from my school days at wood nook st. marys would you , moved from England in 1979, been living in Copenhagen Denmark Since then ,soI've lost all contact, but not forgotten ,all those sweet memories. see ya.

Margaret Pilkington 28-12-2009 15:35

Yes Shaf, I have five brothers and a sister.......Peter. Michael, Philip, James, John, and Vanessa.
I don't see Mick much...he lives a fairly nomadic existence, he has no wife or children,
Peter lives in Sydney Australia,Philip lives locally and I see him now and again.......James lives near Ma.......I haven't a clue where John is......Vanessa lives in Brisbane.
We are not a family who live in each others pockets......we all get on with our very different lives.

I don't know where you would access any pics from your old School days....but my guess is that someone on here may know......and let you know

keith 28-12-2009 21:05

regarding the woodnook area maybe some onecan recall a family that lived on belfield road called jackson they are long lost relatives of mine lost touch with them years ago when my uncle herbert died he was a miner at huncoat pit his wife my auntie died not long after, my uncle was a very good dart player and played in the accrington club and pub league for the central working men club in the forties and fifties period When he died he left two children brian and joan as regards brian the only thing I remember was he had a bad motor cycle accident and was in hospital for a very long time but slowly got better and went on to get a good job away from accrington his sister my cousin joan was married to a motor mechanic who lost his life in a burnley road garage fire in the the fifties they had not been married long use to see her the odd time in accrington but lost touch when we moved to morecambe maybe some one can remember them would like to find out how there getting on

Retlaw 28-12-2009 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith (Post 773006)
regarding the woodnook area maybe some onecan recall a family that lived on belfield road called jackson they are long lost relatives of mine lost touch with them years ago when my uncle herbert died he was a miner at huncoat pit his wife my auntie died not long after, my uncle was a very good dart player and played in the accrington club and pub league for the central working men club in the forties and fifties period When he died he left two children brian and joan as regards brian the only thing I remember was he had a bad motor cycle accident and was in hospital for a very long time but slowly got better and went on to get a good job away from accrington his sister my cousin joan was married to a motor mechanic who lost his life in a burnley road garage fire in the the fifties they had not been married long use to see her the odd time in accrington but lost touch when we moved to morecambe maybe some one can remember them would like to find out how there getting on

I attended that fire, it was at White's Garage Burnley Rd, on Friday Feb 8th 1963 at 1508 hrs Fred Clarke & Edwin Davies were working in the inspection pit on the fuel tank of a Ford Cortina, we put the fire out quite quickly, but it was some time before we could get Fred's body out, the police and the coroner had to inspect the area first. Edwin who managed to get out, died later in hospital. There as an infra red heater fitted in the inspection pit and a portable parrafin heater.
The inquest was held on Monday March 11th 1963

Retlaw.

Shaun Davies 30-12-2009 03:16

Hi,

My name is Shaun Davies and Edwin Davies was my Grandfather. I was wondering if anybody has any more details on what happened that day. Also, any information on him personally would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Atarah 30-12-2009 08:05

Am sad to hear your grandfather was one of the poor men who was involved that day. Are you local? Our library will have the newspaper which can be read on microfilm. If you are not local, I can go and get it copied for you, and will post on. I worked with a lady many years ago at an engineering firm at Church. Apparently her husband was one of the poor men involved. She was called Mrs Wilding I think it was. Any relation?

Retlaw 30-12-2009 12:40

1 Attachment(s)
Fatal Fire Incident at Whites Garage.
Attached is the Log book entry for that incident.
A few days later a similar incident happened in Roberts St, this time there were no casuaties.
Retlaw.

Shaun Davies 31-12-2009 11:16

Hello,

I appreciate your quick response. I currently live in California so any help that you may be able to offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Shaun

Ellerby 10-12-2013 09:53

There are some great photos on here that I would like to share on a Facebook page I set up recently for Woodnook - Our Woodnook. I know F'book is like Marmite, you either like it or you hate it, but as a 'page' you don't need to have a F'book account to view it.

I've added quite a few from the Lancashire Archives, so do check it out when you have a moment and, if you are a Facebook'er, please like the page so it can grow into a useful community resource.

Here's the link - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-W...4189728?ref=hl

Shaun Davies 10 05-05-2020 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 773017)
I attended that fire, it was at White's Garage Burnley Rd, on Friday Feb 8th 1963 at 1508 hrs Fred Clarke & Edwin Davies were working in the inspection pit on the fuel tank of a Ford Cortina, we put the fire out quite quickly, but it was some time before we could get Fred's body out, the police and the coroner had to inspect the area first. Edwin who managed to get out, died later in hospital. There as an infra red heater fitted in the inspection pit and a portable parrafin heater.
The inquest was held on Monday March 11th 1963

Retlaw.

Hello guys,

Edwin is my Grandad. Unfortunately he died when my Dad was 5 years old and my Grandma was pregnant with twins when he passed.

Do you have information or stories on this? I've been trying to look for these lately. Edwin was former East Lancs Army and also served in the Desert Rats in El Alamein.

Really appreciate anything you can tell me with this. Appreciate your time.

Shaun Davies 10 05-05-2020 14:58

Brilliant! I just shared this with my family. I am sorry to say that I don't remember seeing this. Apologies, I wasn't being rude. Hopefully I can find more on this on the web, I know our family are keen to know more.

Shaun Davies 10 11-05-2020 06:31

Hello, this is Shaun Davies. My Grandfather is Edwin Davies who was involved in this incident. I thought I had messaged last week and didn't realize I had missed messages in 2009.

I would love to know more about this accident. I have spent a lot of time looking for Grandad Edwin's military records (East Lancs regiment and Desert Rats). Please do let me know if you have an email address that I could contact you on.

Really appreciate your time.

Shaun Davies 10 11-05-2020 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 773405)
Am sad to hear your grandfather was one of the poor men who was involved that day. Are you local? Our library will have the newspaper which can be read on microfilm. If you are not local, I can go and get it copied for you, and will post on. I worked with a lady many years ago at an engineering firm at Church. Apparently her husband was one of the poor men involved. She was called Mrs Wilding I think it was. Any relation?

Hello, I am not sure if Mrs. Wilding is a relation. I would love to find out if so.