Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42   #1
Senior Member+

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Hi, here are a couple of old views of my childhood area.
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Littlefairs.jpg (145.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Nuttallstreet3.JPG (36.8 KB, 107 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2009, 13:55   #2

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Great photos, will you put them in The Gallery?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 14:09   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
You must remember Littlefairs newsagents. I used to help one of the paperboys on his route around the area (Arnold Hymes). I vaguely remember an old lady who lived in, think it was Angle Court - it was through the entry facing The Star Pub (it was a quick way through to Clement Street) - she used to go to the pub with an old white handled jug, and get her beer for the night in it.

Atarah
Your last view of the Star Inn.
Remember it.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star Inn 1966..jpg (161.5 KB, 99 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 14:15   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cheers atarah n retlaw great pics, the star was n owd watering hole of mine mid 60s. when Thwaites did have a good pint.
Old 02-03-2009, 15:05   #5
I am Banned

Quote:

Atarah
Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wellington St. 1910..jpg (187.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Wellington St. 1985..jpg (116.2 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-03-2009 at 15:12.
Old 02-03-2009, 17:47   #6
Senior Member+

Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah
Old 02-03-2009, 17:48   #7
Senior Member+

Where did you live Atarah? I lived on the corner of Nelson and Napier in the early 50s. My grandparents lived on Grange St and I used to visit and old chap on the corner of Wellington st. and South st. called Jack. We used to play cricket somewhere at the back of the fire station between some old garages. Seems like a lifetime ago.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 17:52   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Another view of Wellington St.
Retlaw.

Blimey how times have changed
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 17:56   #9
Senior Member+

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

South Street - thats where I grew up!

Atarah
Old 02-03-2009, 20:45   #10

Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:50   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Great thread, didn't they build the Police garage between Grange Lane and Wellington Street?
Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw
Old 02-03-2009, 21:17   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Hi Retlaw, thanks for photo of when The Star was just about to be demolished. Arrgh, brought back lovely memories of my childhood. The shop at the opposite end to the pub was last owned by a Mr Cooper if I remember correctly. I remember as a kid going down past the side of his shop, it led you to Grange Street. On the corner of this street was Tommy Murray's butchers. Many a time over the years I have wished for that shop to be back!
The before and after views of Welly Bob Street are sad to see, I much prefer the "before" view, even though well before my time. Anyone remember "before" The Poplar Working Mens club was built? I seem to recall rather a nice house, the front of the house NOT on the street side, and an elderly lady who went to Christ Church Street living there??????

Atarah
That butchers shop were actually Kemp and Murray's. Tom Kemp had West Farm in the post and pre war period.
Heres another reminder of the past and present.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grange Lane before 1930.jpg (133.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Grange Lane after..jpg (123.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-03-2009, 21:25   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before. Did the Tramlines not run down there though?
Old 02-03-2009, 23:03   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Fabulous photo of grange lane pre 1930, never seen that before. Did the Tramlines not run down there though?
Nay coffin dodger.
Why the eck would tramlines leave Manchester Rd to go down Grange Lane, where would they be going, there were nowt at bottom, only Sykes St, which is now called Spring Gardens. The original Spring Gardens was in Abbey St. If you compare the two photo's you'l see where the bottom floor of the houses on the right, were lost when Grange Lane were made up for the Fire Station.
I have some photo's of the inside of one of those cellars
Took them about 20 years ago when the owner was doing the property up.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-03-2009 at 23:04. Reason: add
Old 02-03-2009, 23:11   #15
God Member

Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..