Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2011, 16:11   #1
Senior Member+

Changing face of Abbey Street

Just look what a fine building we once had on the corner of Abbey Street and Stanley Street - and look what we have now! I know which I prefer!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2011, 17:53   #2
God Member

Re: Changing face of Abbey Street

I noticed the buildings were tideied up. Are they by any chance being used by Maundy Grange ( as everything that becomes empty on abbey St seems to be )
Old 20-03-2011, 21:51   #3

^^I know which one I prefer too Atarah. Makes you sad doesn't it. Another building with character that made way for a shanty shack.

Always baffles me as to why so many old buildings are knocked down to make way for, well, crap to put it bluntly. I know a change of purpose sometimes requires such things, but I think a lot of those decisions in our area have been poor. I know that in the post-war era budget was key in such decisions (I'm assuming that's when this one happened); but even today, we still slowly give away these well built and aesthetically appealing buildings in the name of 'progress'. No matter what state of disrepair a building is in, it's almost always cheaper to repair than to demolish and rebuild.

The knocking down of terraced houses for new 'town houses' is another one that puzzles me. Obviously something needs to be done when an area becomes delapidated, but spending millions to end up with poorer quality houses, and less houses in the same area is total insanity.

Sorry for the moody post and topic wandering, but it is a real pet hate of mine. Thanks for the pictures - I've never seen that before.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 08:33   #4
Resting in Peace

How old is the first photo Atarah, and the row of shops, is that hairdressers where Plus Two moved too from across the road
Old 21-03-2011, 16:35   #5
Senior Member+

Hi jaysay, Plus 2 is just a little higher up the street, there is that gap between Platts opticians and then Plus 2.

Many years ago (around the 1930s and 40s) some of the well known shops around that section of Abbey Street were:-
No. 1 was a Mr HACKING, bespoke tailor and gentlemen's outfitters - now Imposta Cafe. His two daughters did all the sewing and alterations. Jim Crabtree was manager of the outfitting department and took over the business when Mr Hacking retired. The business was later owned by a Mr Trotter.
No. 3 was a ladies fashion shop called Lovells, then changed to Le Dell Fashions (they also had a shop in the market hall). I remember many years ago going all the way to Manchester for an outfit for my works do, couldnt find owt, came home to Accy, when I got off the bus, I nipped into Le Dells as a last resort, and found just what I wanted! Wasted journey to Manchester!
No. 5 was Farmerys, sadlers and leather goods, they repaired and sold all types of leather goods and accessories (that must be where Ken Cleggs radio and TV shops now is. He of course started off life near the old Black Bull pub on Bull Bridge).
No. 7 was Abbey Decorations. In the 1950 , one of Accrington's first D.I.Y. shops
No. 9 was Mr John Connard, clogger and shoe repairer.
No. 11 Croasdale's sewing machines and repairers (see photo below) - I still have my gran's sewing machine with the Croasdale badge on. They were also along Blackburn Road, just under the railway arch.
No. 13 Co-op butchers and No. 15 Co-op grocers and provisions (this must be the photo in the first thread). Managed for a long time by a Tom Scott. Above both were meeting rooms available for hire. The entrance was in Stanley Street.
No. 17 Hoyle Bros. decorators, before they moved to Blackburn Road. Then Jack Ellis Carpets, then Egan's Fashions from the 50's to 1989.

and thats just about where we are up to on Abbey Street .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croasdaleabbey.jpg (79.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 21-03-2011, 17:39   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi jaysay, Plus 2 is just a little higher up the street, there is that gap between Platts opticians and then Plus 2.

Many years ago (around the 1930s and 40s) some of the well known shops around that section of Abbey Street were:-
No. 1 was a Mr HACKING, bespoke tailor and gentlemen's outfitters - now Imposta Cafe. His two daughters did all the sewing and alterations. Jim Crabtree was manager of the outfitting department and took over the business when Mr Hacking retired. The business was later owned by a Mr Trotter.
No. 3 was a ladies fashion shop called Lovells, then changed to Le Dell Fashions (they also had a shop in the market hall). I remember many years ago going all the way to Manchester for an outfit for my works do, couldnt find owt, came home to Accy, when I got off the bus, I nipped into Le Dells as a last resort, and found just what I wanted! Wasted journey to Manchester!
No. 5 was Farmerys, sadlers and leather goods, they repaired and sold all types of leather goods and accessories (that must be where Ken Cleggs radio and TV shops now is. He of course started off life near the old Black Bull pub on Bull Bridge).
No. 7 was Abbey Decorations. In the 1950 , one of Accrington's first D.I.Y. shops
No. 9 was Mr John Connard, clogger and shoe repairer.
No. 11 Croasdale's sewing machines and repairers (see photo below) - I still have my gran's sewing machine with the Croasdale badge on. They were also along Blackburn Road, just under the railway arch.
No. 13 Co-op butchers and No. 15 Co-op grocers and provisions (this must be the photo in the first thread). Managed for a long time by a Tom Scott. Above both were meeting rooms available for hire. The entrance was in Stanley Street.
No. 17 Hoyle Bros. decorators, before they moved to Blackburn Road. Then Jack Ellis Carpets, then Egan's Fashions from the 50's to 1989.

and thats just about where we are up to on Abbey Street .......
Thanks Atarah
Old 23-03-2011, 18:24   #7
Senior Member+

Was it not Charley Browns before (Photo says was kwick fit)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I noticed the buildings were tideied up. Are they by any chance being used by Maundy Grange ( as everything that becomes empty on abbey St seems to be )
Rummor says the street to be renamed Maundy Street.
Old 23-03-2011, 18:40   #8
Senior Member+

oops, your are right about it being Charlie Browns. I never used the place and was going off memory which let me down this time, eh? Thanks for that. Will alter my own notes.
Old 23-03-2011, 19:26   #9
Resting in Peace

Can't for the life of me remember that Co-op building. Was it still the Co-op prior to it being demolished.. ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:09   #10
Beacon of light

I can't remember it either Kate........and I used to run along Abbey Street to get to Avenue Parade on my way to Peel Park school.......mind you if was earlier than '55/56, then that would account for it.
I do remember Egans Dress shop though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 20:27   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't remember it either Kate........and I used to run along Abbey Street to get to Avenue Parade on my way to Peel Park school.......mind you if was earlier than '55/56, then that would account for it.
I do remember Egans Dress shop though.

Yes, me too ... the mother of a very good friend of mine worked in there for years.

Also Le Dells .. have had some lovely dresses from there in my late teens.
My lifelong friend was only very tiny, and very tight dresses had just come into fashion.. you know the ones that went right under yer bum on the curves. She had to have lots of her clothes altered to fit. Have had many arguments (in support) with the lady that did the alterations as she would express her disapproval of this look, whilst we instructed "Tighter, tighter !" Had to learn how to do very tiny steps though
Old 23-03-2011, 20:44   #12
Beacon of light

Yes Kate, I remember Le Dells too.......I was once invited to a very swish Christmas 'do'......bought myself a fire engine Red Chiffon and lace dress from there......it fit where it touched, and it touched everywhere.
I felt like the 'bee's knees' in that frock.......and my red high heeled shoes.....pointy toes.

Ma's comment was 'Red shoes...no knickers' :.........wasn't true!
Old 23-03-2011, 20:53   #13
Resting in Peace

Lady in Red, eh .. bet you looked stunning.

I bought a dress there which was practically backless... did have to go to Manchester though to get a bra that didn't show the straps, and still supported me boobs.. LOL.

Sorry, Atarah, think we may be thread wandering and bringing the tone down a bit.
Old 23-03-2011, 21:11   #14
Beacon of light

Yes Atarah, very sorry...but it is about one of the shops you mentioned.........
Old 09-05-2011, 22:27   #15
Senior Member+

Another change to Abbey Street is about to happen. Two of the shops, next to the Canine Club, which Maundy Grange occupy, are being emptied of their furniture, and appear to be moving - just across the street into what was the lovely Platts Furniture shop. I thought Platts had "returned" to their old premises when I drove past and could make out furniture again in the window. Think the date it opens for Maundy is 20th of this month.

Last edited by Atarah; 09-05-2011 at 22:29.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..