Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 22:31   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Changing face of Abbey Street

That should help drag what used to be a good row down further.
Old 10-05-2011, 20:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just look what a fine building we once had on the corner of Abbey Street and Stanley Street - and look what we have now! I know which I prefer!
Ha, picture 3 has mi mates jag in it !!lol
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 16:45   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just look what a fine building we once had on the corner of Abbey Street and Stanley Street - and look what we have now! I know which I prefer!
I do remember the Co op building, also Egan's. My mum who was a very smart dresser used to get lots of her clothes from there (and hats - she loved hats). I had one of my first grown up outfits from there, a lemon yellow wool two piece (we probably called it a costume in those days). Probably looked a right sight but we all ended up dressing like our mothers in those days!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 18:18   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I do remember the Co op building, also Egan's. My mum who was a very smart dresser used to get lots of her clothes from there (and hats - she loved hats). I had one of my first grown up outfits from there, a lemon yellow wool two piece (we probably called it a costume in those days). Probably looked a right sight but we all ended up dressing like our mothers in those days!
I didn't susie
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58   #20
God Member

I believe the old "Black Horse" on Abbey Street should be re-opening on or around Nov 11th if rennovations are completed - it will be a deli and cafe.
Bob Dobson likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:09   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I believe the old "Black Horse" on Abbey Street should be re-opening on or around Nov 11th if rennovations are completed - it will be a deli and cafe.
Thank god somebody got to it before Dorothy
Old 02-11-2011, 09:49   #22
God Member

It's being done-up by the butcher who used to be up at Oaklea, can't remember his name but is very famous for his sausages, I think he may have a stall in Ossy Mills...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's being done-up by the butcher who used to be up at Oaklea, can't remember his name but is very famous for his sausages, I think he may have a stall in Ossy Mills...
Dave Paintin
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Dave Paintin
Yes - that's the name....should be a good place from all accounts.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-11-2011, 11:05   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Since the ones sold in Ossy Miils were only awarded one * (urgent improvement necessary), for food hygiene standards....they could be.

Food Standards Agency - Search for food hygiene ratings
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-46712-3.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55   #26
God Member

Oh dear - my mum used to get all her meat off him at one time (my parents left Accy 8 yrs ago now though) - she used to rave about his sausages!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 09-05-2020, 17:22   #27

Shops I remember on Abbey St a chippy Marsdens? next to a bank or building society, an electricians (can`t remember the name but one of my mates was courting the younger daughter) George Taylor barber. Hothersalls chemist, next to a paper shop. A former pub used as a tyre fitters (I recall a fitter being killed in there when a tractor tyre exploded) a sweet shop set back from the road opposite Oak St owned by the wife of Frank Kithener the editor of the Observer also a chiropodist near to little Blackburn Rd.
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
Shops I remember on Abbey St a chippy Marsdens? next to a bank or building society, an electricians (can`t remember the name but one of my mates was courting the younger daughter) George Taylor barber. Hothersalls chemist, next to a paper shop. A former pub used as a tyre fitters (I recall a fitter being killed in there when a tractor tyre exploded) a sweet shop set back from the road opposite Oak St owned by the wife of Frank Kithener the editor of the Observer also a chiropodist near to little Blackburn Rd.
The Fitter who was killed there was "Mick Bartram", he was in the same year as me at Woodnook School in the late 50s/Early 60s.
Yours, Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:58   #29

We also played in the School football team together under the tuturlidge (think thats spelt right), of Marge Pilkingtons favourite maths and sports teacher. Mr Milton Suthers.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 21:22   #30

Does anyone have any pictures of the Oak Tree Inn, Abbey Street or any information. My great-grandparents, James & Sarah Ramsbottom were shown on the 1901 census as publicans.
Thanks!
patb255 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..