Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 23:15   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The area I grew up in. Woodnook

there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath. unless it was just a siding or run off?
Old 02-03-2009, 23:15   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Im loving this thread with the then and now pics .. what great photoes of grange lane.
anyone got any of the cottages on manchester road. My grandad used to live in one of them
Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:21   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
there used to be tramlines veered off down there from the "Tramway Inn" i remember sitting outside the tramway one sunny afternoon, when they were re-placing the tar-mac n you could see line track imprints underneath. unless it was just a siding or run off?
Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.
Old 02-03-2009, 23:27   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Do you mean Daisy Hill, if so which side of Manchester Rd, there were cottages on both sides from Bell Shop Lane to Oak Hill Park gates.

Retlaw.

Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:31   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Never. I have photo's of Manchester Rd showing that area, and they never ran down Grange lane, theres nowt on the photo of Grange Lane, it was raised as much as 12 ft to bring Grange Lane up to Manchester Rd level, thats why the bottom floor of those houses got buried.

Tha must have had a fair amount of stagger juice if tha saw tram lines in Grange Lane. What would be the point of a siding down there anyway.

Retlaw.
i definately saw em from outside the tramway retlaw, was sure they went down yon, but i don't doubt yer word, musta been Manchester Rd then, in my defence Pint Crystals were a lovely bottle.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39   #21

Quote:
Yes in Bugle Yard, there use to be a joiners workshop there before they built the garage.

Retlaw
Thanks for that
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 15:24   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Ummm not sure if they had a name or if so what it was . I was only young. but do remember them being the ones on the right going up , Past the fire stationa nd the little pub on the corner.
This is the only picture I have around that area. Its at the bottom of Hollins Lane, the first cottage of Daisy Hill is on the left, its since been demolished.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daisy Hill-1900..jpg (174.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 18:38   #23
Senior Member+

The area I grew up in. Woodnook

Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008nov7.jpg (260.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 03-03-2009 at 18:41.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:41   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks for that
Found a picture showing the joiners shop, its in the background, in Bugle yard, it was taken in 1933, when they laid the foundation stone for the Fire Station in Manchester Rd.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire Station 1933..jpg (159.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 22:48   #25
I am Banned

This picture is for Atarah.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nuttall St. 1964..jpg (141.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 22:52   #26
God Member

Quote:
This picture is for Atarah.

Retlaw.
The photo looks older than 1964 retlaw.. I moved to Hudson St at the top of South St in 1968 and Nuttal Street didn't look like that.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 23:03   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

what was the "Church" across from the police station?, think Central Motors took the land when demolished.
Old 04-03-2009, 00:12   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, I think I know which you mean. The ones on the right hand side going up, after the Park Pub and after you have crossed the bottom of Hollins Lane. Used to be known as Daisy Hill
Here is a recent photo, just showing the last two of the row (owned by one owner now) looking down towards the top of Grange Lane area
Atarah

Yes I think they are the ones.
My grand dad lived in one further up . I think it was the 2nd from the top. They all looked so small from the outside too with little windows and all had green front doors.
I remember they were small and cosy inside too. and they shared a communial back yard.
Old 04-03-2009, 00:15   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

was it one of that row where Iassac lived?
Old 04-03-2009, 00:17   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was it one of that row where Iassac lived?
Dont know cashy, I was only little , and my brain was only small too so wouldnt have remembered much .
HEHEHE not much changed really i know i know thats before ya say owt

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..