Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accrington Railway Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accrington-railway-station-50207.html)

Miaowzinzara 26-10-2010 04:15

Re: Accrington Railway Station

nice pics

BERNADETTE 27-10-2010 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 855327)
Don't make much difference which side the ticket office is if you need to cross over to the other to get your train.. it's up the ramp or over the bridge...had someone come visit a few weeks ago who could not make the way up from Eagle street and over the bridge... I know that has been the way for donkeys years but surely if you make a major re-construction of the station you would take the chance to improve it for everyone..those who made the deal with Tesco could have, and should have, considered the older less able people of Accrington and those who just visit.

Agreed but as most people don't use public transport do they really care??? :(

cashman 27-10-2010 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 855656)
Agreed but as most people don't use public transport do they really care??? :(

thing is though, many disabled n elderly can't drive, i use trains very little, but care about those who need too.;)

carlsbergaddict 29-10-2010 21:06

No wind turbine is to be installed now as it was not 'in-keeping' with the local enviroment.

carlsbergaddict 29-10-2010 21:07

Also, from next year the ticket office is going to be open longer, staffed by two people.

lancsdave 29-10-2010 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsbergaddict (Post 856515)
as it was not 'in-keeping' with the local enviroment.

Wonder if they noticed that friggin great building being built next door :D

yerself 03-11-2010 11:04

Here's one for the anoraks: The Tin Bath Extra

Steamer through Accy on Sunday (7.11.10) at 17.04.

Wynonie Harris 03-11-2010 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 858293)
Here's one for the anoraks: The Tin Bath Extra

Steamer through Accy on Sunday (7.11.10) at 17.04.

A "Black Five", brilliant! Cheers for the heads up, Yerself. Might nip down to Victoria to see it on Sunday. :)

garinda 03-11-2010 16:24

Is there stil a carpark at the station?

Someone asked us yesterday in town, and we didn't know.

I think they were genuine.

They didn't look like doggers.

cashman 03-11-2010 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 858386)
Is there stil a carpark at the station?

Someone asked us yesterday in town, and we didn't know.

I think they were genuine.

They didn't look like doggers.

well you should know.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

garinda 03-11-2010 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 858387)
well you should know.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

I've not parked there...to catch the train, for about seven years.

:D

garinda 03-11-2010 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 858390)
I've not parked there...to catch the train, for about seven years.

:D

Seriously, is there still a carpark?

I never go up that way.

heth 03-11-2010 16:46

Yes there is still a car-park there :D

lancsdave 03-11-2010 17:06

The new car park is a big improvement

Atarah 03-11-2010 17:35

Accrington Railway Station

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how the new car park looks now. Not bad, eh?

garinda 03-11-2010 17:39

Thank you all.

I shall be able to be more helpful, when next asked, by a stranger to these here parts.

Tealeaf 03-11-2010 17:45

I suppose Network Rail (100% owned by the taxpayer) could have saved a few bob, by instead of building a new ticket office, let Tesco's flog the rail tickets. That way you would have had a ticket office open 24/7 and a few more jobs.

shillelagh 03-01-2011 23:48

2 Attachment(s)
went to see the spugster off today ... theres already problems with the flags they put down ...

carlsbergaddict 04-01-2011 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 873130)
went to see the spugster off today ... theres already problems with the flags they put down ...

The flags are in fact fine...this is were the new cycle stand is going to be built shortly.

heth 05-01-2011 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsbergaddict (Post 873249)
The flags are in fact fine...this is were the new cycle stand is going to be built shortly.

Wonder y they didnt just build the cycle stand in the first place??? Do they just like making work for themselves and wasting money? :rolleyes:

heth 05-01-2011 07:01

:D Just realised what a stupid question I have just asked :D

;)

walkinman221 05-01-2011 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by heth (Post 873336)
Wonder y they didnt just build the cycle stand in the first place??? Do they just like making work for themselves and wasting money? :rolleyes:

Yep:rolleyes::D:D

Atarah 06-01-2011 23:44

Can I just mention you could find it is a rail replacement coach service on Sunday 9th, between Accrington and Colne and Accrington and Preston. From Preston to Blackpool is also a coach service. This service could be operating every Sunday until mid Feb. Best to check with the station office.

Atarah 08-01-2011 13:15

Just been informed also a coach service towards Hebden Bridge, calling at Burnley Manchester Road station.

carlsbergaddict 08-01-2011 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 874124)
Just been informed also a coach service towards Hebden Bridge, calling at Burnley Manchester Road station.

Just a quick note - the rail replacement buses are now scheduled to pick up/drop off on the new station car park adjacent the new ticket office, NOT outside the Imperial, as in previous years.

shillelagh 01-03-2011 16:37

1 Attachment(s)
was on there today .. now im sure i saw an accywebber walking along the platform .. been to tesco ... there was salt/grit all sprinkled over the walkway across the new carpark .. do they know something we dont know ... and saw this as well ....

Neil 06-09-2011 13:47

Looks like they might be shutting the new train station. Read the LT story here Ticket office closure plans for Lancashire railway stations (From Lancashire Telegraph)

cashman 06-09-2011 14:06

seems to me a rather stupid decision after whats just been spent on it,:confused: still thats nowt new these days.:rolleyes:

Tealeaf 06-09-2011 14:40

I seem to recall that LCC and possibly HBC bunged a fair bit of dosh into this development; I assume that if the closure does go ahead, they'll get it back. Then what? I think it would make a good undertakers - a bit of competition for the new 'un up Ossy or failing that, what about another dodgy nightclub or Wetherspoons, seeing as that sort of nonsense now appears to be the growth engine of the local economy.

shillelagh 07-09-2011 16:16

theyre saying why theyre shutting them is because 2 thirds of all ticket buying is on the internet .... but what about the third that isnt ... what if they dont have the internet or if they dont like giving out their payment details on the internet ...

i know when i go up to see the spugster i go down to railway station and buy my ticket from there rather than buying it on the net .. mainly because i dont buy things over the internet .. the last time i bought the tickets he told me the price ..and it was more expensive than what id been quoted on the net .. and he said that if its on the net then its at a special deal .. and i said it doesnt say that and he looked again and found it .. it was further down the list ... so according to that .. then if you buy on the internet it should be cheaper than what it is when you buy at the station .... BUT the spugster has found its actually cheaper going down to the railway station and buying his tickets there ... rather than going on the net ..

Neil 07-09-2011 17:11

If I go online now and buy tickets from Ossy to London I cant collect the tickets at Ossy because they is no machine that I know of so what am I supposed to do, drive to Blackburn to collect them first?

shillelagh 07-09-2011 17:52

they stick them in the post to your address dont they ...

garinda 07-09-2011 19:23

Thank goodness I no longer use the train regularly, as I did for twenty odd years.

They've priced rail tickets so much cheaper if you buy online, their plan seems to be for a railway with minimum staffing.

Much as is happening in the banks.

Everytime I go to the counter they have to ask why I didn't use a machine.

I always reply...
'To keep you in a job.'

Neil 07-09-2011 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 931908)
they stick them in the post to your address dont they ...

Not when my company booked me a train ticket from Warrington to Kings Cross they did not. Got a booking number to put into the machine at Preston as I swapped trains and it spat the tickets out.

Even if they post them to you its no good if you need to travel in a hurry.