Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accrington Railway Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accrington-railway-station-50207.html)

Atarah 31-10-2009 16:51

Accrington Railway Station

3 Attachment(s)
They are now "refurbishing" our station.
At the moment, the bridge is totally out of bounds. Anyone for Leeds direction has to go Paxton Street way, anyone for Preston direction, has to use Eagle Street.
Wonder what the end result will look like?

Photo 1 - long time ago
Photos 2/3 - Oct 09

shillelagh 31-10-2009 19:11

Re: Accrington Railway Station

This isnt going to be fair ...will have to go and by my ticket at the ticket office and then have to walk back round to catch the train to preston .. and yes i have to get my ticket at the ticket office otherwise i wont get the discount from the railcard i have!!! Will have to make sure im half an hour earlier than the train im to catch now. Thanks atarah .. otherwise i wouldnt have known about it.

Neil 31-10-2009 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759049)
This isnt going to be fair ...will have to go and by my ticket at the ticket office and then have to walk back round to catch the train to preston .. and yes i have to get my ticket at the ticket office otherwise i wont get the discount from the railcard i have!!! Will have to make sure im half an hour earlier than the train im to catch now. Thanks atarah .. otherwise i wouldnt have known about it.

The exercise will do you good :p:D

Why are you showing as invisible tonight?

shillelagh 31-10-2009 19:48

im in hiding!!!!!:D:D:D

cashman 31-10-2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759049)

No ya won't, just walk across the line jen.;) i sure as hell will on 16th.:D

shillelagh 31-10-2009 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 759089)
No ya won't, just walk across the line jen.;) i sure as hell will on 16th.:D

well tell me how you get on walking across the line .. my appointments the 17th .. that way i'll know you not in RBH suffering from electrocution .. :D:D:D

Atarah 02-11-2009 12:39

Just found this, does this mean we may become "posh"?

ACCRINGTON GOES PV IN BERLIN « Community Rail Lancashire

Judith Addison 07-11-2009 23:13

Photo of Accrington Station long ago - I believe my grandfather, James Addison, may be on this photo - he was porter and ticket collector. He was born about 1870. I think this photo was early 1900s. May be from a book produced by Brian Ashton, former Accrington Librarian. My Dad said Accrington Station was very important in those days. The Station Master had his own house on the site, with private tennis court.

cashman 08-11-2009 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759097)
well tell me how you get on walking across the line .. my appointments the 17th .. that way i'll know you not in RBH suffering from electrocution .. :D:D:D

sorry no can do, away fer 3 days then.:)

Mancie 08-11-2009 22:56

Accy station is a nightmare.. is there still the long slippy ramp that goes down to the Blackburn road end?..if so then it's a health hazard.. last time I was up them parts I ended up walking across a field of mud where the old carpark used to be.

Atarah 17-12-2009 22:46

4 Attachment(s)
Update on Accrington's railway station. Bridge apparently re-opens tomorrow, so that will be good news for some folk.

I find the "walkway" a bit scary looking (on the Blackburn/Preston side of the track).

BERNADETTE 17-12-2009 22:51

They have also been excavating the car park, lories queuing up last week to take the excess soil.

cashman 17-12-2009 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 770575)
Update on Accrington's railway station. Bridge apparently re-opens tomorrow, so that will be good news for some folk.

I find the "walkway" a bit scary looking (on the Blackburn/Preston side of the track).

gotta say that looks crap, the walkway will make many feel unsafe when quiet, plus what happened to the "Covered" walkover, much better in bad weather.:rolleyes:

Atarah 19-12-2009 14:15

Can I just mention that tomorrow (Sunday only)from Hebden Bridge all the way to Blackburn and the return journey, it is COACHES. So be prepared! This includes Burnley Manchester Road and Accrington. The bus stop at Accrington is by The Imperial Pub. Anyone needs more info, just pm me.

Atarah 15-01-2010 20:49

Bit of history for you.

Forgot to mention this when I started this thread ....... it is written in a 1935 newspaper article - "On the site of the Accrington Railway Station was a rough piece of land, spoken of as the "Fance (or Faunce) Pits" for some unknown reason a spot of superstitious fear to the old inhabitants of Accrington. The only cause for this, in my opinion, is that there had been handed down in oral tradition stories of it having been the place of burial for those who fell victims of the plague, which is not recorded, but there was an ominous drop in the population of Accrington during the later part of the 17th century which cannot be accounted for otherwise than by an epidemic".

Hey, sounds like "Time Team" material!

Wonder if its true?

katex 15-01-2010 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 778645)
Bit of history for you.

Forgot to mention this when I started this thread ....... it is written in a 1935 newspaper article - for those who fell victims of the plague, which is not recorded, but there was an ominous drop in the population of Accrington during the later part of the 17th century which cannot be accounted for otherwise than by an epidemic".

Wonder if its true?

Sure was some sort of epidemic Atarah, however, how many ? Couldn't have been huge in the 17th century .. not many people around here. Good stuff though.

Don't you go out digging madam, unless you have had all vaccinations .. the virus still lurks... :eek::D

Retlaw 15-01-2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 778645)
Bit of history for you.

Forgot to mention this when I started this thread ....... it is written in a 1935 newspaper article - "On the site of the Accrington Railway Station was a rough piece of land, spoken of as the "Fance (or Faunce) Pits" for some unknown reason a spot of superstitious fear to the old inhabitants of Accrington. The only cause for this, in my opinion, is that there had been handed down in oral tradition stories of it having been the place of burial for those who fell victims of the plague, which is not recorded, but there was an ominous drop in the population of Accrington during the later part of the 17th century which cannot be accounted for otherwise than by an epidemic".

Hey, sounds like "Time Team" material!

Wonder if its true?

Ask Frank Watson, he tried to convince me once that the victims of the plague in Accrington area were buried in a pit. By pit I don't mean Coal Pit.

Retlaw.

Atarah 24-01-2010 22:37

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of views of what can be seen behind the blue hoardings, at the bottom part of Eagle Street.

wadey 25-01-2010 14:31

Thanks for the photos

Atarah 25-01-2010 22:11

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ilway_station/

This article from The Lancashire Evening Telegraph gives a bit of an explanation of what is going to happen. (dated June 2009)

cashman 25-01-2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 782344)
‘Eco’ scheme for Accrington’s railway station (From Lancashire Telegraph)

This article from The Lancashire Evening Telegraph gives a bit of an explanation of what is going to happen. (dated June 2009)

if ya click comments (1) on the story, it says comments are closed, yet the comment has vanished? would love to know what it said, n why its been removed.:confused:

Retlaw 26-01-2010 14:18

1 Attachment(s)
Atarah wants this picture posted again.
Retlaw.

Atarah 26-01-2010 19:27

Thats brill Retlaw, I really meant on the NEW TESCO site, cos its really relevant to that particular site.

Would you mind also posting on there too. Thanks. You are BRILLIANT! :-)

Atarah 26-01-2010 22:39

1 Attachment(s)
Another view of whats going on "behind the scenes" at our Railway Station

Atarah 06-02-2010 20:27

3 Attachment(s)
Few photos taken today, of work going on at the Railway Station. They have now put on show a "view" of how the station will look.

shillelagh 06-02-2010 21:04

wheres the new bridge theyve just put up?

wadey 06-02-2010 21:31

Atarah, thanks for the new photos

yerself 08-02-2010 14:25

Attention all anoraks

There's a steamer due through Accy station at approx. 12.30 on Saturday. Details here: Steam Info

Atarah 08-02-2010 18:43

That should be wonderful to watch!

Atarah 08-02-2010 18:48

Again, thanks to Less for bringing to our attention this document:
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...L_DOCUMENT.pdf
go to page 43 and look at points 7.28/7.29/7.30/7.31 then look at the sketch on page 44

katex 08-02-2010 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 786075)
Attention all anoraks

There's a steamer due through Accy station at approx. 12.30 on Saturday. Details here: Steam Info

Thanks Yerself for reminding us about this .. know has been mentioned before with photographs, etc. Had forgotten about it. Have been on the other steam train railways ... but this is slightly different, isn't it ... actually going through our station. Am tempted to go and look on Saturday, although doesn't appear to stop ? Better to go to Blackburn. Would love to see it taking on water at Brighouse. Think I might have a tear in my eye as it enters our town ..just an old softie.

david1 08-02-2010 21:47

Get your arse over to Preston , They always water up in Preston , before thy go up to carnforth . You could get a nice photo Katex ???

Message - Accrington Gallery

katex 08-02-2010 22:14

Eeew thanks David .. knew there was some piccies on here somewhere. x

yerself 09-02-2010 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by david1
Get your arse over to Preston

Don't need, it stops at Blackburn for 45 mins to take water on.

Atarah 20-02-2010 17:42

2 Attachment(s)
Some more "new station" photos - actual building now starting to take shape.

LYNX1 21-02-2010 07:38

Not a lot of activity there Atarah.........did you scare them all off :D :D

wadey 21-02-2010 10:23

Thanks for the photos, will try and have a look next week

Gremlin 21-02-2010 19:18

Did anybody actually see the steam loco come through Accrington?
I went onto the top floor of the Arnedale car park with some other chaps with cameras and from 20 mins before and 45 mins after it should have come through there was no sign of it. Eventually we heard that it had failed at Eccles.
That's twice in three weeks the Scot has not been seen in Accrington.
I have seen plenty of other steam locos pulling "The Cotton Mills Express" but never a Scot.
One of the jobs we used to have at Gilbraith Tankers was to fill a clean tanker with water overnight Friday and meet the loco at Blackburn on Saturday lunchtime to top the tender up.
I never got the job and none of the other lads took photos. I don't know where they top up now. I try to keep away from Blackburn.
By the way the usual time through Accrington when they run is 12.31 pm.

Link to site. UK mainline steam rail tours 2010

Gremlin R.T.

Atarah 24-02-2010 19:21

1 Attachment(s)
Todays view of our new station

Atarah 23-03-2010 09:53

2 Attachment(s)
More up to date views, for those who dont live nearby

Tealeaf 23-03-2010 10:44

Blimey...it's beginning to look like a large Public Convieniance. Maybe they are recreating the 'Superloo' that used to lie on the car park off Union Street. I wonder if they will change the name of the station?

I can hear the announcement now...'The 11.10 train for Colne, calling at Rishton, Church & Oswaldtwistle, Accrington Bogs, Huncoat.........'

JEFF 23-03-2010 11:21

1 Attachment(s)
This superloo ?

Tealeaf 23-03-2010 15:11

Aye, that's it.....one of Le Corbusier's masterpieces.

Atarah 11-04-2010 12:45

8 Attachment(s)
More views showing how the new station office is beginning to look.

wadey 11-04-2010 20:24

projects - Cyril Sweett
worth a look

Atarah 15-04-2010 20:52

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more photos to share

Atarah 26-06-2010 20:11

3 Attachment(s)
Latest view of the new ticket office at Accrington station. Taking shape now! First two views taken as train was pulling out of station and 3rd view taken from passage way/platform for Preston side.

wadey 26-06-2010 20:54

Thanks Atarah

Tealeaf 27-06-2010 08:31

It looks like a post-modernist cow shed. I don't expect Prince Charles will perform the opening ceremony.

wadey 27-06-2010 10:42

Good

mallard 27-06-2010 20:56

I would have to have a look at that when iam passing that way a gain

Atarah 11-07-2010 13:27

2 Attachment(s)
Two views taken July 10th 2010

cashman 11-07-2010 13:39

looking ok, windows won't last 2 mins though if its n unmanned station 24 hrs.:eek:

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-07-2010 13:21

Stopped off in the old town last Wednesday and couldn't believe my eyes.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk/forum/accstat1.jpg

If this is a Tesco store then traffic on Eagle Street will be horrendous.
http://www.studiosoft.co.uk/forum/accstat1.jpg

cashman 20-07-2010 19:20

Traffics bad enough on eagle st now mate.:)

Tealeaf 20-07-2010 21:28

This may now be Accy's great opportunity to show it's radical, green credentials to the outside world; entrance and exit to the new Tesco should be by foot or bicycle only. That would certainly put us on the map and we would have every tree hugging, dolphin tuna-friendly, sandle-wearing veggie within a radius of 500 miles turning up to shop in the town; overall retail business would boom by a factor of 10. All it needs now is a little imagination and we've got it made.

cashman 20-07-2010 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 830258)
This may now be Accy's great opportunity to show it's radical, green credentials to the outside world; entrance and exit to the new Tesco should be by foot or bicycle only. That would certainly put us on the map and we would have every tree hugging, dolphin tuna-friendly, sandle-wearing veggie within a radius of 500 miles turning up to shop in the town; overall retail business would boom by a factor of 10. All it needs now is a little imagination and we've got it made.

Sod off T, theres enough beanheads in town already.:D

Mancie 20-07-2010 22:37

Good photo .. all good photos but something stands out a mile, there ain't anyone on the platforms...saying that it is an improvement, did Tesco pay for it?

BERNADETTE 20-07-2010 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 830206)
Traffics bad enough on eagle st now mate.:)

Don't I just know it:) Seems my move came at the best possible time, it was bad enough living there before, think it will be unbearable once Tesco opens. But did notice while going past the other week that there seem to be indications of them widening the top end of Eagle Street. Wonder if anybody else has noticed??

Morecambe Ex Pat 21-07-2010 07:50

The platform was empty apart from me and another chap who walked off when the York train came in - very curious. A few people caught the Preston train from the other platform.

Off topic but the service was excellent, caught 4 trains that day, Bare Lane to Lancaster, Lancaster to Preston, Preston to Accrington amd later Accrington to York. All on time and even arived in York 10 mins. early. Total journey time 3.5 hours and cost me £33.70 which I felt was a tad expensive.

jaysay 21-07-2010 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 830315)
The platform was empty apart from me and another chap who walked off when the York train came in - very curious. A few people caught the Preston train from the other platform.

Off topic but the service was excellent, caught 4 trains that day, Bare Lane to Lancaster, Lancaster to Preston, Preston to Accrington amd later Accrington to York. All on time and even arived in York 10 mins. early. Total journey time 3.5 hours and cost me £33.70 which I felt was a tad expensive.

They will be on time if no ones getting on um:rolleyes:

Morecambe Ex Pat 22-07-2010 08:05

Looks like nobody wants to leave.

shillelagh 30-07-2010 23:51

2 Attachment(s)
took these on tuesday .. when i went down with spugs to see him off back home .. well had to make sure he was on his way ... and he had one bad journey home .. anyway theyd shut the path from eagle st ... and we had to walk through the building site .. dont like what they've stuck on the steps to stop you from slipping .. pics were took from the bridge ..

Mancie 31-07-2010 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 832662)
took these on tuesday .. when i went down with spugs to see him off back home .. well had to make sure he was on his way ... and he had one bad journey home .. anyway theyd shut the path from eagle st ... and we had to walk through the building site .. dont like what they've stuck on the steps to stop you from slipping .. pics were took from the bridge ..

Is that from Eagle Street?.. looks like a bleedin long walk to the platform.. and then over the walkway if your heading Preston way... nowt much changed :eek:

Atarah 23-08-2010 15:57

4 Attachment(s)
A few more views of the new railway station office, also showing a new "steep" entrance from the bottom of Eagle Street.

katex 24-08-2010 14:53

Looking good ... :thumbsup:

Retlaw 24-08-2010 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 839656)
Looking good ... :thumbsup:

The local yobbery haven't redecorated it yet.

Retlaw

shillelagh 28-09-2010 15:04

5 Attachment(s)
Took these yesterday ... by the way was told by a worker that it opens in two weeks time!!!:D

Will make a suggestion tho .. anyone who is disabled instead of going the long way round should go along to where the old path to the platform is .. rather than going the long way round!!!

Tealeaf 28-09-2010 16:42

I've changed my mind. I don't think it looks like a cowshed any more; it looks like one of these happy-clappy chapels built by one of these crackpot non-conformist sects. Is that a bell tower on the right? Will they ring a bell every time a train is coming down the line?

shillelagh 28-09-2010 17:00

1 Attachment(s)
and heres another ... does anyone else think it dont look right .... :confused:

JCB 28-09-2010 18:47

I hope the new station encourages more passengers .

My experience over the last 12 months or so is that the trains keep excellent time , often to the minute .

yerself 28-09-2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Is that a bell tower on the right? Will they ring a bell every time a train is coming down the line?

They'll probably ring the bell when the train's gone, just to let you know you missed it.:D

Benipete 29-09-2010 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 848164)
and heres another ... does anyone else think it dont look right .... :confused:

You could have taken a picture of the bar.:rolleyes::D

MargaretR 29-09-2010 10:04

It looks very much like the 'park and ride' bus terminus at Southport - that is 'eco friendly' too. I dont think it has any 'architectural merit' - but I don't suppose it needs to.

cashman 29-09-2010 13:38

Shouldn't be too much trouble fer the yobs to vandalize.:rolleyes:

shillelagh 29-09-2010 15:32

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 848403)
You could have taken a picture of the bar.:rolleyes::D

it was shut when i went past .... :D:D:D

gynn 30-09-2010 20:40

Thanks to Atarah and Shillelagh for the pictures on this thread. Very interesting.

I spent many hours on Accrington Station in the 1990s waiting for the Preston bound express. It was always due a few minutes before the slow stopping train from Colne, and if it was running more than 5 or 10 minutes late, the train from Colne came in first. It was always a dilemma whether to let the slow through and wait hopefully for the express, or to jump on the slow train to await the express at Blackburn. In the absence of any form of announcements at Accy, the best option was always to get the slow train to Blackburn, where the information boards would indicate how late the express was running.

At Blackburn, if you were lucky, there was enough time to get off the slow train and change platforms via the underpass in time to meet the express coming in behind. On many occasions, the express was only just behind the slow train, and it became a race for time to reach the platform before the express left, and it was often a race that was lost, and the express came in an out of Blackburn in super quick time.

It was something that went on for the 14 years I was doing the journey, and it never ceased to amaze me that the staff at a station like Blackburn, which only has about 4 trains an hour, never ever cottoned on to the fact that, if the slow train came in just before the express, there was likely to be a stream of passengers in transit between platforms. They seemed to take a mordid delight in getting the express away as quickly as possible!

Happy Days, long since behind me!

Benipete 30-09-2010 20:56

Maybe they did it intentionally,It's the sort of thing bored people would do.

I know I would.:eek::D:D

Atarah 08-10-2010 18:21

10 Attachment(s)
Must be due to open soon. (Yerself should know).
The timetables are now on show. Anyone able to explain SIMPLY, how the solar panels will work please?

JCB 08-10-2010 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 850831)
Must be due to open soon. (Yerself should know).
The timetables are now on show. Anyone able to explain SIMPLY, how the solar panels will work please?

They still haven't put the wind turbine up yet , or at least I can't see it .

Alan Varrechia 08-10-2010 19:31

Hi Atarah. They take energy from the sun and convert it into electicity.:D:D:D:D

:hidewall::hidewall:

Gremlin 09-10-2010 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia (Post 850850)
Hi Atarah. They take energy from the sun and convert it into electicity.:D:D:D:D

:hidewall::hidewall:

and they even work on a cloudy day, now that's magic.

katex 09-10-2010 18:53

I am well impressed .. thanks Atarah.

Miaowzinzara 09-10-2010 20:01

But when it doesn't work and the power is down don't worry they will send a bus for you!!

Mancie 09-10-2010 22:07

It all looks good but has there been any improvement for invalid access?.. Accy station has to be one of the worst in the North West.. to get up to the Leeds bound train is a journey in it's self.. the ramp is a death trap in wet or icey conditions and any other route is a slog for even able people.. for those who have prams or wheelchairs it is a nightmare.. and it should not be that way.

BERNADETTE 09-10-2010 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 851136)
It all looks good but has there been any improvement for invalid access?.. Accy station has to be one of the worst in the North West.. to get up to the Leeds bound train is a journey in it's self.. the ramp is a death trap in wet or icey conditions and any other route is a slog for even able people.. for those who have prams or wheelchairs it is a nightmare.. and it should not be that way.

Got to agree, all the pics seem to be taken from Eagle Street side and very good it looks to. But if access at the other side hasn't been improved a lot of monies have been wasted IMHO:(

hedman2003 10-10-2010 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 851136)

There s no improvment to the access on the East bound platform wih the new works although there has been a long estblished ramp to that side of the station

In fairness I'm not really sure how they could have improved access at that side given the gradiant from Blackburn Road to the platform

The new building looks really good but it seems to have been ready (part from the wind turbine) for the last 6 - 8 weeks and the car park for slightly longer. I guessmthe car park is not open due to some issue regading liability or such like

As somebody who commutes daily Preston the issue of communication re late trains etc is still an issue having onl been informed about 5 times over the past 3 years when trains are running lateand yes we still have the issue of do I get on the skanky slow train and change at Blackburn or hope the fast train will turn up, nothings changed although sometimes they do inform the passengers on the slow train that the fast train will leave first

Neil 10-10-2010 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 851186)
In fairness I'm not really sure how they could have improved access at that side given the gradiant from Blackburn Road to the platform

What about a bridge across the line and a lift at each end of the bridge, would that help?

shillelagh 11-10-2010 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 851191)
What about a bridge across the line and a lift at each end of the bridge, would that help?

wonder how long that would last ... because the train station is unmanned from 3pm and trains are going through till about 11pm .. the kids and the drunkards on a friday saturday night ...

Benipete 11-10-2010 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 851146)
Got to agree, all the pics seem to be taken from Eagle Street side and very good it looks to. But if access at the other side hasn't been improved a lot of monies have been wasted IMHO:(

Looking on the plus side anything that dissuades people from going to Yorkshire can't be a bad thing.:hidewall::hidewall::D:D

Mancie 11-10-2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 851191)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 851468)
wonder how long that would last ... because the train station is unmanned from 3pm and trains are going through till about 11pm .. the kids and the drunkards on a friday saturday night ...

Lifts would be a great help.. It's all about cost.. as Shillelagh says the station is unmammed from mid afternoon and could be messed up by kids/drunkards.. then again the lifts in high rise blocks of flats are never manned but on the whole are kept in working order... maybe if Tesco had been pushed further they might have stumped up more money for better access to the supermarket from both the Preston and Leeds sides of the station.

Atarah 20-10-2010 09:30

Accrington Railway Station Office - the old and the new

4 Attachment(s)
Well, the new station office is up and running, since yesterday (Tues 19th October, 2010).

Some "before" and "after" photos, for posterity!

JCB 20-10-2010 09:38

Re: Accrington Railway Station Office - the old and the new

Good photos . Thanks .

Atarah 20-10-2010 09:50

Re: Accrington Railway Station Office - the old and the new

Forgot to mention, was told the old ticket office is to be demolished.

katex 20-10-2010 18:13

Looks good ... summat to be proud of. Thanks Atarah .. will try and get a look myself soon.

yerself 20-10-2010 18:35

For any of you railway anoraks I came across this site the other day. Plenty of pics of the old Accy station to look at.
East Lancashire Railway in Steam

cashman 25-10-2010 22:56

looks ok, but is it accessible fer disabled people?:confused:

Mancie 25-10-2010 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 855303)

Looks like the same old ramp and bridge..none are any use if you're in a wheelchair unless you have some help..so what happens to those in wheelchairs who usually get by on their own?.. even the ramp can be hard work for able bodied people and the bridge is not an option..the station is unmanned so no help there.. looks good but no change in access. :(

BERNADETTE 25-10-2010 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 855303)

Looks to me like the only thing thats changed is the ticket office is now on Eagle Street side, now when the office was at the opposite side it wasn't very accesible for disabled people. Can't see from the pics provided that things have changed, still a very steep ramp both sides for a wheeelchair user or their carer. Not very well thought out IMHO, unless somebody can prove me wrong:(

Mancie 26-10-2010 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 855322)
Looks to me like the only thing thats changed is the ticket office is now on Eagle Street side, now when the office was at the opposite side it wasn't very accesible for disabled people. Can't see from the pics provided that things have changed, still a very steep ramp both sides for a wheeelchair user or their carer. Not very well thought out IMHO, unless somebody can prove me wrong:(

Don't make much difference which side the ticket office is if you need to cross over to the other to get your train.. it's up the ramp or over the bridge...had someone come visit a few weeks ago who could not make the way up from Eagle street and over the bridge... I know that has been the way for donkeys years but surely if you make a major re-construction of the station you would take the chance to improve it for everyone..those who made the deal with Tesco could have, and should have, considered the older less able people of Accrington and those who just visit.