Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accrington Railway Station (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accrington-railway-station-50207.html)

Atarah 31-10-2009 16:51

Accrington Railway Station

3 Attachment(s)
They are now "refurbishing" our station.
At the moment, the bridge is totally out of bounds. Anyone for Leeds direction has to go Paxton Street way, anyone for Preston direction, has to use Eagle Street.
Wonder what the end result will look like?

Photo 1 - long time ago
Photos 2/3 - Oct 09

shillelagh 31-10-2009 19:11

Re: Accrington Railway Station

This isnt going to be fair ...will have to go and by my ticket at the ticket office and then have to walk back round to catch the train to preston .. and yes i have to get my ticket at the ticket office otherwise i wont get the discount from the railcard i have!!! Will have to make sure im half an hour earlier than the train im to catch now. Thanks atarah .. otherwise i wouldnt have known about it.

Neil 31-10-2009 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759049)
This isnt going to be fair ...will have to go and by my ticket at the ticket office and then have to walk back round to catch the train to preston .. and yes i have to get my ticket at the ticket office otherwise i wont get the discount from the railcard i have!!! Will have to make sure im half an hour earlier than the train im to catch now. Thanks atarah .. otherwise i wouldnt have known about it.

The exercise will do you good :p:D

Why are you showing as invisible tonight?

shillelagh 31-10-2009 19:48

im in hiding!!!!!:D:D:D

cashman 31-10-2009 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759049)

No ya won't, just walk across the line jen.;) i sure as hell will on 16th.:D

shillelagh 31-10-2009 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 759089)
No ya won't, just walk across the line jen.;) i sure as hell will on 16th.:D

well tell me how you get on walking across the line .. my appointments the 17th .. that way i'll know you not in RBH suffering from electrocution .. :D:D:D

Atarah 02-11-2009 12:39

Just found this, does this mean we may become "posh"?

ACCRINGTON GOES PV IN BERLIN « Community Rail Lancashire

Judith Addison 07-11-2009 23:13

Photo of Accrington Station long ago - I believe my grandfather, James Addison, may be on this photo - he was porter and ticket collector. He was born about 1870. I think this photo was early 1900s. May be from a book produced by Brian Ashton, former Accrington Librarian. My Dad said Accrington Station was very important in those days. The Station Master had his own house on the site, with private tennis court.

cashman 08-11-2009 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 759097)
well tell me how you get on walking across the line .. my appointments the 17th .. that way i'll know you not in RBH suffering from electrocution .. :D:D:D

sorry no can do, away fer 3 days then.:)

Mancie 08-11-2009 22:56

Accy station is a nightmare.. is there still the long slippy ramp that goes down to the Blackburn road end?..if so then it's a health hazard.. last time I was up them parts I ended up walking across a field of mud where the old carpark used to be.

Atarah 17-12-2009 22:46

Accrington Railway Station

4 Attachment(s)
Update on Accrington's railway station. Bridge apparently re-opens tomorrow, so that will be good news for some folk.

I find the "walkway" a bit scary looking (on the Blackburn/Preston side of the track).

BERNADETTE 17-12-2009 22:51

They have also been excavating the car park, lories queuing up last week to take the excess soil.

cashman 17-12-2009 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 770575)
Update on Accrington's railway station. Bridge apparently re-opens tomorrow, so that will be good news for some folk.

I find the "walkway" a bit scary looking (on the Blackburn/Preston side of the track).

gotta say that looks crap, the walkway will make many feel unsafe when quiet, plus what happened to the "Covered" walkover, much better in bad weather.:rolleyes:

Atarah 19-12-2009 14:15

Can I just mention that tomorrow (Sunday only)from Hebden Bridge all the way to Blackburn and the return journey, it is COACHES. So be prepared! This includes Burnley Manchester Road and Accrington. The bus stop at Accrington is by The Imperial Pub. Anyone needs more info, just pm me.

Atarah 15-01-2010 20:49

Bit of history for you.

Forgot to mention this when I started this thread ....... it is written in a 1935 newspaper article - "On the site of the Accrington Railway Station was a rough piece of land, spoken of as the "Fance (or Faunce) Pits" for some unknown reason a spot of superstitious fear to the old inhabitants of Accrington. The only cause for this, in my opinion, is that there had been handed down in oral tradition stories of it having been the place of burial for those who fell victims of the plague, which is not recorded, but there was an ominous drop in the population of Accrington during the later part of the 17th century which cannot be accounted for otherwise than by an epidemic".

Hey, sounds like "Time Team" material!

Wonder if its true?