Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   The Pubs of Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/the-pubs-of-accrington-66768.html)

kenn 01-07-2017 02:30

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Great map with wonderful memories. Thank you.
I had my first ever pint at 15 years old in the Stanley Arms at the corner of Stanley St and Washington....staggering distance from the Dyers and Finishers WMC. We paid 1s and 5p for bitter served by the Grandad of one of my mates, Barry Kirby who lived further down Stanley St. My Grandma live a couple of houses further up Stanley St.
Not sure if you have this on your map.
Ken

Bob Dobson 01-07-2017 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenn (Post 1196692)
Great map with wonderful memories. Thank you.
I had my first ever pint at 15 years old in the Stanley Arms at the corner of Stanley St and Washington....staggering distance from the Dyers and Finishers WMC. We paid 1s and 5p for bitter served by the Grandad of one of my mates, Barry Kirby who lived further down Stanley St. My Grandma live a couple of houses further up Stanley St.
Not sure if you have this on your map.
Ken

Which map are you referring to, Kednn ?

I have come across an 1845 reference to the New Inn, Blackburn Rd
Where was this >

cashman 02-07-2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1196670)
Which brewery owned the Spread Eagle on Blackburn Rd ? Had it ever been a Thwaites' house ?

Not to my knowledge was a John Smiths house when i was a lad.thats a definate. Plus was still the same when i did the disco yon in my late 30s to early 40s.

Bob Dobson 03-07-2017 08:35

One day, I'll mention a place in Acc where Cashy hasn't worked.

cashman 03-07-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1196788)

Yeh may manage that Bob, but yeh will struggle to mention one i aint supped in.:D By the way Isobelle @ Jack had the Spread early 60s.;)

ferret man 03-07-2017 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1196788)

Don't think you will Bob, on most of the sites that I look at, and Cashy has been on quite a lot of those saying he worked at this place or that place, by my reckoning he will be about 150 years old. Unless he only stayed for a short time at each job.

cashman 04-07-2017 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferret man (Post 1196811)
Don't think you will Bob, on most of the sites that I look at, and Cashy has been on quite a lot of those saying he worked at this place or that place, by my reckoning he will be about 150 years old. Unless he only stayed for a short time at each job.

Well i did start at 2 firms on the same day way back.:D

ferret man 04-07-2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1196839)
Well i did start at 2 firms on the same day way back.:D

You could do that in the good old days

Bob Dobson 06-07-2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1196670)
Which brewery owned the Spread Eagle on Blackburn Rd ? Had it ever been a Thwaites' house ?

I ask the same question about the Spread Eagle at West End, close by Spread Eagle Street - which brewery owned it ?

Bob Dobson 09-03-2018 15:03

Altham has long been regarded as a suburb of Accrington, even though it was in Burnley Rural District Council area until 1974, It is unlikely that The Walton Arms has been mentioned on here before.

I have long wondered why the pub is so called. Today I found out. I was reading an 1844 gazetteer of the county, and Altham's entry tells that the place has 349 inhabitants and the church of St James is a perpetual curacy with an income of £117, its patron being Mr RTW Walton, Esq. What do we know about him ?

Mark2009 09-03-2018 17:18

Richard Thomas Wroe Walton is mentioned in the British History website. He died unmarried in 1845.
Townships: Altham | British History Online

Mark

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 06:32

I have added The Walton Arms and also added another venue, dear to many of our hearts, Martholme Grange. If you think of any more, please let me know.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-03-2018 07:00

I have also added a picture of The Crown on Whalley Road from back in the 1930s when a member of our family, Henry Docksey, was Landlord, he took over from Charles Cooper.

Bob Dobson 11-03-2018 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark2009 (Post 1209888)
Richard Thomas Wroe Walton is mentioned in the British History website. He died unmarried in 1845.
Townships: Altham | British History Online

Mark

Mr Walton was a great benefactor to the parish and its poor, as were his sisters after his death. He is buried in Altham His funeral was attended by hundreds. He lived in Marsden Hall, Nelson and owned land in Altham. His father was a vicar. The family was linked through marriage to the Banastres of Barrowford.

Retlaw 12-03-2018 14:09

Just spent ages reading thro this old thread, and it brings up a question or two or three, one I asked Dobbo years ago, the Railway pub on Blackburn Rd facing Eagle St was in existance before the railways came to Acc in the middle 1840's, What was its name, don't think Dobbo came up with the answer.
Donkeys years ago when I was indexing parish registrs and the local census returns, I started to create a list of all the names of Yards, Courts, Terraces. Ginnals, Back streets, Pubs, Clubs and ale houses, by that I mean any premisis that sold Camel Pee and needed a licence, I think Doobo borrowed it once fur summat, not sure where it is now appen int library. Final question mainly for Cashy how many Atlantic Oceans have you drank an peed during your life. I can just imagine when they put you in your final resting place, you'l have a pint glass in each hand, and your coffin lined with bottles of your favourite tipple. Just a pity coffin lid won't be big enough to have the names of all your drinking holes on it. Long may ye drink yu owd swigger.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...cons/icon7.gifhttp://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...cons/icon7.gifhttp://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...cons/icon7.gif