Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2008, 15:19   #16

Re: Accrington Acclaimed - new book

Think i might buy this book sounds good xx

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2008, 16:17   #17
Resting in Peace

Have ordered one and knowing other publications I've bought off Bob should be excellent
Old 22-11-2008, 12:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have been asked to explain my absence from the forum for many weeks. I have had to put all my time into preparing a new book - Accrington Acclaimed.It is a book of photos with captions, and this posting is a public thank you to the members of the site who have been particularly helpful in the preparation - Atarah, Retlaw, Owd Bert,Jeffboldstreet .
I will keep you posted over the book's progress. It is being printed at Nayler's but is running late due to problems at my end.
I should mention that my pal geoff taylor ('accyjeff') is my co-compiler. Even though he lives in France, his heart's in t'reyt place - Accy
Have just received a copy of "Accrington Acclaimed" and am pleased and delighted in its professional presentation and the nostalgia it brings to myself having lived in ASustralia for some 44 years.

Last edited by keith higson; 22-11-2008 at 12:12. Reason: spelling
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 14:49   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

fully endorse what khigson says, fer anyone with any interest in accy, this book is a "Must".
Old 23-11-2008, 12:04   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

as n afterthought, anyone wanting the book can P.M. bob n he will sort ya one out, theres a great picture of the Hargeaves Arms many years ago on the cover, also n accy character (Arthur Mortimer) who i knew on page 32, Bob n Geoff also will be in Accy Library on Tuesday 25th from 12 till 2-00pm signing copies, so thats a must fer me.

Last edited by Mick; 23-11-2008 at 12:20.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 19:34   #21
Resting In Peace

no one has said the price of a book , this may help the sale.
i will be at the library on Tuesday see you there cashy.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 20:58   #22
Senior Member+

The book is on sale in the library., also the peel Park pub. It is unlikely to be on sale in WH Smiths, as they don't deal with small publishers. I am trying to get it into other places. I can email you an attachment if you will email me direct at

[email protected] This is easier for me than a PM through accyweb.

Bob Dobson
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:13   #23
Resting in Peace

I have been buying books published by Bob for quite a few years now and they are excellent to say the least, I have just got my copy of Accrington Acclaimed this morning and have just had a quick flick through and I have to say it is another gem form Bob and Co
Old 25-11-2008, 11:47   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just been to library with mick, Bob n Geoff are there signing books, until 2-00, a great chance to ask/tell about any pic of accy.
Old 26-11-2008, 04:39   #25
Resting in Peace

Bob and Geoff kindly signed my copy too also Bob very kindly brought 2 other books for me about old Preston and signed them too Thankyou BOB very interesting books i am reading them now.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56   #26
Senior Member+

I have been asked for a copy of one of the old pub photos in the book. I referred the enquirer to the library. As a result, the library are going to publish all their pub photos onto the library website. This will take a while, but is good news.

On page 48 of the book is a photo of some schoolchildren with the Granville Slack sports trophy. I have learned that they attended Woodnook School, and the headmaster is Mr Barton ( who was succeeded by his son as headmaster)
Old 04-12-2008, 11:36   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have been asked for a copy of one of the old pub photos in the book. I referred the enquirer to the library. As a result, the library are going to publish all their pub photos onto the library website. This will take a while, but is good news.

On page 48 of the book is a photo of some schoolchildren with the Granville Slack sports trophy. I have learned that they attended Woodnook School, and the headmaster is Mr Barton ( who was succeeded by his son as headmaster)
Which Woodnook School are you refering too. There were two.

Woodnook Council School, which in the 1930 had Frank Heys as Headmaster, I went to that one.

Woodnook St Mary's, which was in Belfield Rd, my father went to that one, when he wasn't playing truant following the Accy Pals round the town, his brother was a Pal.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 22:57   #28
Resting in Peace

A lovely publication Bob .. showing more events in the town than past publications which I can relate to, and have found connections to my past.

Noticed you have included my ex husband's grandfather's garage advertisement on Bull Bridge .. sure Charlie would be well pleased.

Also the float of St. Johns's walks, think have spotted a few friends there.

Not sure if my father was on the trip for Peel Mill ... would be only 11 at the time, but still ... got me in nostalgia mood.

Thank you.

x

Last edited by katex; 05-12-2008 at 22:59.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:16   #29
Resting In Peace

Excellent publication with some photo's that I have not seen before. Well done Bob & Geoff.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 20:12   #30
Senior Member+

A few mistakes have been brought to my attention in this book, published late November. I admit them, and mention them here before somebody else does.
Firstly: the photo (p32) of the Birtwell's icecream cart was taken in Garden Street, not Ramsbottom St. The detective who spotted this knows that the houses in Haywood Rd have different windows further up the row.
next: (page 36) the text refres to the town's 100,000 population. This is clearly way too high, although it just could be that it was swelled to 100,000 on that day when Lord baden-Powell came to open the Ambulance Drill Hall.

There's another that I am enquiring about. If you've seen the book, please do not hesitate to question me. I will likely blame Geoff Taylor, the co-author.

I don't feel embarassed about these mistakes, though I did feel it badly when I wrote my first book. In this (c1979) I placed the position of the Big Lamp in Union Road, Ossie ( above which one born can claim to be a true Gobbin) outside the Palladium instead of the Library. My dad's words as I walked in the houses expecting to be praised ..."Tha's bloody well let me deawn" He had received some ribbing off his mates in the Bridge pub, Church. ..."If he's getten that wrong, heaw many more mistakes is there in t'book ?"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..