Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2011, 19:52   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Library

After being closwed for several months following a roof leak, the Local Studies room in the library is about to re-open.
Saturday 5th february (10am-4pm) will be the official opening. The staff are putting on an exhibition of some of their treasures and rarely-seen items.

Must be worth a visit.

Accrington is the only library in the county ( I think) which has a room devotyed to Local studies AND staff too. John and Kath share the job. They haven;'t been doing it all that long, but do have a good knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm.

I feel sure that there will be people there from the local history society and the family history society to help with any queries.

It maya bee too that members of the Lancashire Authors Association will be there too, showing off the society's collection , which is housed in the
'back room'.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2011, 20:42   #2
I am Banned

Re: Accrington Library

Accrington is the only library in the county ( I think) which has a room devotyed to Local studies AND staff too. John and Kath share the job. They haven;'t been doing it all that long, but do have a good knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm.

It is also the only library in the County with a designated WW1 & WW2 collection. John has been there about 3 years and young Kathy nearly 7, so they have quite a lot of knowledge about what they have in Local Studies.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 18:41   #3
Resting in Peace

Will try and make this ... sounds interesting.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 19:32   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Will try and make this ... sounds interesting.
Oi snakehead, you keep your grubby hands of those WW1 books, I haven't read them all yet.
Retlaw.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:26   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Oi snakehead, you keep your grubby hands of those WW1 books, I haven't read them all yet.
Retlaw.
Will bear that in mind.
Old 31-01-2011, 09:07   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Retlaw.
Be careful Retlaw there's no known ant-toxin for her bite
Old 31-01-2011, 11:01   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Be careful Retlaw there's no known ant-toxin for her bite
O yes there is, I've got some Kryptonite.
Old 05-02-2011, 19:33   #8
Resting in Peace

Well done to the staff at Accrington Library, was well set out exhibition, and lots of things to view with people on hand to help you out.

Was very careful with your WW1 stuff Retlaw .. my goodness, how hard you and Bill Turner have worked.

Did enjoy the book donated by Phyllis Smith showing 'photos, programmes, newspaper reports from the Arts Club. Remember her very well .. she gave me my first bit of advice in my first part there when I was playing Ruby 'Birtle' (hahaha) in 'When We Are Married' .... "Can't hear you, she shouts out from the back row at rehearsal, wasting your breath if the audience can't" ...

Lots and lots more ... had never seen the Water Board map before .... just wished I had gone earlier .. could have spent hours looking, but can always ask to look at their treasures, I am sure. Think most of it will be on display for a while ?

Again... 1st Class.
Old 05-02-2011, 19:37   #9
Give, give, give member

I second Katex's statement.

Very informative, interesting, and brightened a dull afternoon.

You couldn't find more helpful, friendly, and well informed folk, in any library in the country.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:24   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Shame would love to have gone down, sadly had to collect summat from outa town today.
Old 06-02-2011, 16:03   #11
Senior Member+

We called in yesterday - excellent, our thanks to all involved with the exhibition. Lots of memories from the photographs, maps and documents. May I also commend the staff, helpful, considerate and welcoming.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..