Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2013, 22:30   #1

Another one for Retlaw!

This has nothing to do with Accrington soliders but as you seem very good on military history I was wondering....

If a solider sent a medal back would you be able to find out why and even retrieve it?

My Great Grandfather (Harry Henry Curtis) was a Desert Rat (beyond that the family knows nothing.. born in Acton, London in 1912, dying at 214 Whalley Road, Accrington in 1992). He never talked about his experiences but I know that he got some sort of medal and sent it back. I don't know a regiment number or even a way of finding out that's cost free. If you have any thoughts about how I can go about figuring out the story I would be very grateful.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2013, 10:15   #2
I am Banned

Re: Another one for Retlaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekibird View Post
This has nothing to do with Accrington soliders but as you seem very good on military history I was wondering....

If a solider sent a medal back would you be able to find out why and even retrieve it?

My Great Grandfather (Harry Henry Curtis) was a Desert Rat (beyond that the family knows nothing.. born in Acton, London in 1912, dying at 214 Whalley Road, Accrington in 1992). He never talked about his experiences but I know that he got some sort of medal and sent it back. I don't know a regiment number or even a way of finding out that's cost free. If you have any thoughts about how I can go about figuring out the story I would be very grateful.
There is a way to find out, WW2 personal military records are still intact, they are not held at Kew. I don't know the address of the place, but ring Fulwood and they will know, on his papers will be all you need to know about his military life warts & all.
The reference to Medals sent back.
On a medal card you sometimes see an entry Medals Returned, but that does not mean the soldier returned it, its army slang for medals unclaimed after 10 years, and they are sent back to the foundry.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-06-2013 at 10:19.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 10:23   #3

Re: Another one for Retlaw!

Where do I get contact details for Fulwood and what do I say? I don't know any of his regiment numbers or anything so do you think I will need to find them out first?
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..