Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2010, 21:30   #1

Antley 1900 "Not missed once"

Here's a photo someone might be interested in. It's the pupils of Antley that never missed school during the year.

The boy holding the chalk-board is Alfred Woods and the girl one to the right (to Alfred's left that is) is his sister, Edith Woods.

Any further information would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antley_1900.jpg (283.6 KB, 72 views)
earthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2010, 06:21   #2
God Member

Re: Antley 1900 "Not missed once"

what a great picture
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 06:25   #3
Senior Member+

I have never seen this photo. Please ensure that you give a copy to Accrington Local Studies Library. I have a mate who knows a lot about Antley chapel. I will enquire of him. A seach of the 1901 census will reveal where the family lived. It is possible, because they are so well dressed, that this is a Sunday school photo rather than a day school one. Without looking it up, I don't know if Antley had a day school, My suspicion is that they didn't.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 07:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have never seen this photo. Please ensure that you give a copy to Accrington Local Studies Library. I have a mate who knows a lot about Antley chapel. I will enquire of him. A seach of the 1901 census will reveal where the family lived. It is possible, because they are so well dressed, that this is a Sunday school photo rather than a day school one. Without looking it up, I don't know if Antley had a day school, My suspicion is that they didn't.
Bob, yes I can do that, could you give me details of where to contact the local studies library, is is part of the main library? If you had a named person, that would be helpful. And thanks for the suggestion it may have been a Sunday school, I'm certainly not in possession of any information to contradict that. As for the two children I named, I know a lot about them as individuals, Edith Woods was my mother's grandmother.

Thanks again for the responses.

Alan
Old 22-05-2010, 08:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog View Post
... Edith Woods was my mother's grandmother.
Sorry, it's early, Edith Woods was my wife's grandmother.
Old 22-05-2010, 20:20   #6
Senior Member+

In the library - go upstairs, turn right. At the desk, you will [probably see John or katherine. There is a book by Hargreaves on history of methodism ibn acc,. I cannot find my copy. There was a brochure issued on Antley's centenary or perhaps the rebuiding. It will have some information in.

I am having a search done for their address. They could have lived in Church, Acc or Ossie - or even Clayton as they are all not far away to walk.
Old 22-05-2010, 20:36   #7

What, do you mean the address of the Woods family? They may have been at 27 Leyland Street in 1900 since that's where they were on the 1901 census. And by the time of the 1911 census, they were at 74 Monk Street.

I'll have to make contact remotely with the library, I'm in Berkshire.

Alan
Old 22-05-2010, 21:02   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog View Post
What, do you mean the address of the Woods family? They may have been at 27 Leyland Street in 1900 since that's where they were on the 1901 census. And by the time of the 1911 census, they were at 74 Monk Street.

I'll have to make contact remotely with the library, I'm in Berkshire.

Alan
Send it to Miss Katherine Walsh, Accrington Central Library, St James St, Accrington.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 00:58   #9
God Member

Just a few observations about this picture. Look closely at it and you will notice that - with the exception of the girl in the white blouse, all the other 17 kids look roughly the same age - I would say 9 or 10. This suggests they are from the same class (year). Yet the sign they are holding just refers just to the school. Were there several other pictures of different years/classes were the kids had not missed a day off?

They are certainly dressed in their 'Sunday Best' for the occaision - the lads' boots are well shined - but whether this was a sunday school job is somewhat speculative.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 06:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Send it to Miss Katherine Walsh, Accrington Central Library, St James St, Accrington.

Retlaw.
Retlaw, thanks for the info. I'll do that.
Old 23-05-2010, 06:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Just a few observations about this picture. Look closely at it and you will notice that - with the exception of the girl in the white blouse, all the other 17 kids look roughly the same age - I would say 9 or 10. This suggests they are from the same class (year). Yet the sign they are holding just refers just to the school. Were there several other pictures of different years/classes were the kids had not missed a day off?

They are certainly dressed in their 'Sunday Best' for the occaision - the lads' boots are well shined - but whether this was a sunday school job is somewhat speculative.
This is the only picture we have I'm afraid, it came down through the family. As for the ages of the two children we know about, during 1900 Edith Woods had her 9th birthday, and Alfred his 7th or 8th. So these two at least were close in age.

Alan
Old 23-05-2010, 20:37   #12
Senior Member+

I have learned that there was a day school at Antley.I am still of the opinion that it is a Sunday School photo rather than one taken on a midweek day after the kids had been told to come in their Sunday best. It is interesting too that there is no teacher or head teacher on the photo. Is there a photographer's name on the photo?
Old 23-05-2010, 21:13   #13

No identifying marks of any kind I'm afraid, neither front nor back.
Old 23-05-2010, 21:44   #14
Senior Member+

I really love this photograph and keep coming back for another look. My Nana´s family lived in the area and her older sisters could be on there. She was born in 1899 and was the youngest of eleven. It would be lovely to know their names.

Looking at the two girls dressed in black, right side back row, I reckon they are of the same family. Good luck x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 06:47   #15

I've just sent a copy to the library. If any useful information comes back I'll post it here. Glad you liked the photo. Those two girls could be sisters couldn't they? Looks like they're wearing the same outfits.

Tags
1900, antley, school, woods

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..