Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 15:32   #16

Re: Bit of a local history puzzle

Were there buildings built on the current road line originally and that is the width of the cobbled road between them?
If you look at the line of Manchester Road as it passes The Park Inn it seems to follow straight on down Grange Lane thus making the bit between there and the Hargreaves a later re-alignment. There may well have been buildings there originally.

De-bunk at will!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2009, 17:18   #17
God Member

these large stones become very slippery in the wet so were place there for when criminals ran out of court seeking refuge in the pub

they would slip on the stones and be dragged back into court

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 17:22   #18
Resting in Peace

I'm just with the theory that they were just extensions of the originals, but would love to hear Atarah's hearsay.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 20:40   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
Were there buildings built on the current road line originally and that is the width of the cobbled road between them?
If you look at the line of Manchester Road as it passes The Park Inn it seems to follow straight on down Grange Lane thus making the bit between there and the Hargreaves a later re-alignment. There may well have been buildings there originally.

De-bunk at will!!
I have contributed to other threads on the subject of Grange lane, in the area of the Fire Station, plus photographs. Grange lane as you see it now, was impassable until the Fire Station was built in 1934, opened in May 1935. The Lane had to be raise twelve feet, to meet the bottom of Timber St & Manchester Rd.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-04-2009 at 20:40. Reason: spell
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:51   #20

Well and truly de-bunked

Old 07-04-2009, 10:18   #21
Senior Member+

Bit of a local history puzzle

Hi, well you have all guessed what I would probably have guessed (and it is probably the correct explanation) - but here is what I was told:-

For the old fashioned pram!! (perambulator) - for the mums talking their new off spring for a Sunday afternoon stroll, on their way up Manchester Road, to Oak Hill Park - must have been an extrememly bumpy ride anyway for the poor child, but slightly less bumpy on the section near the Hargreaves Arms Pub.

what do you think about that explanation?
Atarah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pramnearhargreavesarms.jpg (42.0 KB, 1 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22   #22
God Member

With those coach built prams you needed all the help you could get.
The thought of pushing one up Manchester Rd reminded me of the effort I used to make pushing one up Dill Hall Lane (I lived at the top)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
what do you think about that explanation?
Atarah
I'd say codswallop!!

Old 07-04-2009, 13:46   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
I'd say codswallop!!
Your gonna get debunked again.
Its what I said, an extension of the pavement from Adelaide St to Bank Terrace.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 13:56   #25

LOL!! I meant the pram explanation!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 14:57   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
With those coach built prams you needed all the help you could get.
The thought of pushing one up Manchester Rd reminded me of the effort I used to make pushing one up Dill Hall Lane (I lived at the top)
I pushed the twins in their double pram up manchester road a few times and nearly killed myself each time I did it!!
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:05   #27
God Member

Well if it is right they had better people on the council them days than they have now, can you imagine them being as thoughtful nowadays? I can't, but I'm sure they would think of a way of charging/taxing you to push a pram up there

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 15:14   #28
Give, give, give member

Are they ancient ley lines, proving that Accrington was the centre of the old world, and Camelot was on Warner Street?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 16:57   #29

Thers a similar track near Cowm Reservoir at Whitworth, we were told by the local historian that the cobbles were for the horses hooves to grip, the slabs for the cartwheels.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 22:15   #30

Hi everyone....nice to see the Hargreaves getting some tongues wagging I have just bought the place in an effort to stop a succession of breweries running it even further into the ground. It s a stunning property and i want to try and do it some justice in renovationg it and opening it up as good bar again.... with the hope of opening upstairs as a restaurant at some point. Im looking for info though, as much as possible into the history of the place... any links or infor would be welcomed in my hunt for its past...the place is brimming with charachter from celler to tp floor, i feel privalidged to have it to be honest, a true part of accringtons history. Im not some rich city developer, im an accrington lad born and bred, so would love you guys to help in getting some nfo together.......please please please.
Cheers
Justin
whitecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..