Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2016, 10:37   #1

Blackburn Rd. since 1940

I'm researching a short film about Accrington to be used in local schools to support the history curriculum. The area of study is the shops in Blackburn Road, and I'm looking for photographs (exterior) and information about any of the shops, but especially the Co-op, McDonalds, Burtons, the Maypole Dairy, Boots, or any stores opposite the Town Hall. They need to be post 1940 and can be long views of the street or shots of the frontages, they might be of royal events, processions, Christmas etc., anything. All photos will be returned. If you have any information about shop owners too, that would be great. If you prefer, you can take your photos to the Heritage office on the first floor above the Market Hall to be scanned.

thanks very much!
Triz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2016, 11:42   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Blackburn Rd. since 1940

Contact Gary Martin or Atarah Hindle on Hyndburn Chat on Facebook, they have loads of old photos of Accrington

Last edited by maxthecollie; 17-07-2016 at 11:44.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:39   #3
Senior Member+

The library have photos filed under street names. Possible to buy copies. Some of the businesses would have advertised in the Observer and in various year books - all these in the library. Theseare pictorially interesting.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 17:38   #4

thank you very much _ I've visited the library and found quite a bit to be going on with.
Old 07-08-2016, 17:39   #5

Thank you, those names are new to me and I'll follow them up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..