Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2006, 10:55   #1
Junior Member+

Calico Print Works in Baxenden

Does anyone know which calico print works were situated in Baxenden between 1820 and 1860?

My ancestors were "calico block printers" all living in Baxenden during those years and I am just trying to put a bit of "flesh on the bones"!
Oddbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2006, 12:01   #2
Member.

Re: Calico Print Works in Baxenden

There is a thread discussing this subject that might give you some answers, I’ll have a look around and post a link……Good Luck.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 12:04   #3
Member.

There you go.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13669

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 13:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod
Does anyone know which calico print works were situated in Baxenden between 1820 and 1860?

My ancestors were "calico block printers" all living in Baxenden during those years and I am just trying to put a bit of "flesh on the bones"!
There was a Calico on the Broadoak site, where Caligen foam is now, back of Accy college. Caligen got it`s name from two works that use to be there the first from Calico but can`t remember the second. And the site leads up to Baxenden.
Old 01-05-2006, 21:45   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod

There are 156 Blkock Printers in the 1851 census of Accrington.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:20   #6

Did you find the thread that Doug told you about?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 17:10   #7
Junior Member+

Hello,
I am the person that started the previous thread about Turkey Red Dye works in Baxenden, the site is now a scrapyard, there are lots of interesting pictures to see on the old thread. My ancester was a foreman on Red turkey dye around 1879, but maybe you are looking for the previous firm that was there before 1960.
Hope you find it.

Wendy

Last edited by adlersparker; 29-05-2006 at 17:15. Reason: mistake re wrote
adlersparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 17:11   #8
Junior Member+

Hello,
I am the person that started the previous thread about Turkey Red Dye works in Baxenden, the site is now a scrapyard, there are lots of interesting pictures to see on the old thread. My ancester was a foreman on Red turkey dye around 1879, but maybe you are looking for the previous firm that was there before 1860.
Hope you find it.

Wendy
Old 29-06-2006, 00:36   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get`A`Grip
There was a Calico on the Broadoak site, where Caligen foam is now, back of Accy college. Caligen got it`s name from two works that use to be there the first from Calico but can`t remember the second. And the site leads up to Baxenden.
Caligen Foam was a joint company set up by the Calico works which was there and the General foam corporation of America. So Cali + Gen. When I worked at Caligen there were some emloyees who had previously worked as engravers at the Calico works, before it closed.
deantwerpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 16:04   #10
Junior Member+

Hello there, I am the one who started a thread a while back about the print works in Baxenden. Red Turkey dye works. My ancestors also worked there from around 1860 - 1890 if you find anymore information, I would love to hear from you. My ancestor was James Delaney some type of manager.
Old 25-01-2012, 03:43   #11

WOW! James A Delany (the extra "e" was added in the 1881 census!) was my 2x great grandfather! He was an industrial chemist and worked as a manager in the Turkey Red Dye Works. If you have any information on him, the Delan(e)y family or the Catlows I would love to know more.
NatalieROZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:37   #12
Junior Member+

HI there, nice to meet you looks like we are related, James Ashworth Delaney is my Great Great Grandfather too, I have lots of info on him, is there anyway you can send pm then i can give you my e mail? Im a descendant of his daughter Bestsy. Would love to hear more about you Natalie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..