Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2004, 00:30   #1

Clayton history In 50s & 60s

Any Claytonians past or present. I know this site is mainly devoted to Accrington, but living in Clayton for the first 21yrs of my life, you cant have Accy without Clayton, so to start this nostalga bit off, any body remember the Star Cinema, ( later Carlton ), Empress Cinema, Load of mischief Pub, Doras fish & chips, across from star, Nori & quarry, Pillings f&chip shop, Hackings F & C shop, Clayton youth club, down bottom end in Aurthur st, run by ex cop John Garner, Old Catholic church in Altham, the old swing bridge across canel, where you can walk from dill hall to Blackburn rd, Bottom end. Villabe Blacksmith pub, Forts Arms. Shops on Whalley rd, Frank Scambers grocers, Hoyles Long Row, Ramsbottoms, Tildslys, Youngs bakers, Varlys Bakers ( Friday Buttered Pies ). Just to kick this off, anybody remember any other, people, places, or things.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2004, 07:36   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Clayton history In 50s & 60s

hi, alan i remember going into varleys for my dinners , when i worked at broadleys print works, although i lived in church i had a few friends in c-l-m, do you remember pauline smith, cathy cannie, vivien briggs,pat lennon, just to remember a few, i also remember going bopping up the vic , on victoria st , mm showing the age now
Old 20-05-2004, 23:37   #3
mez
God Member

alan just been talking to cathy cannie who now lives in auss & she vagually remembers you //
Old 20-05-2004, 23:54   #4

Mez, Yes I remember Broadleys print works, my mum used to work at the Cambridge Press, in Whalley rd, I remember Vivien Briggs, She was married to John Garner, also Pat Lennon, I was in the same class as her brother Mathew. I was good friends with Viviens brother Martin, who married a girl called Susan Tootle, Lost touch in 1970s, wish I coudl get in contact again, they move to South Africa, his mum & dad went over to visit in early 70s & was killed in a car accident. I used to work with Martin at Brockhall in 60s. Pauline Smith rings a bell, but not Cathy, she might mean one of my brothers. More to Jog memory, Gittens news agents, Thornbers chemist, Meyercocks Tobaconist, next door to varleys.
Old 23-10-2004, 02:50   #5
Junior Member+

I remember most of those places. How about Woods fish & Chips (near Top Club)

I lived next door but one to the Top Club # 12 Whalley Road. What about dancing at the VIC, it was owned by Fred Skinner. do you remember Johnny Kid and the Pirates preforming there?
I went to Mount Pleasant School from Infants to leaving, 1946 (aged3) to 1958 (aged15)
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 05:24   #6

What about the river stink Alan having come from Rishton lol had a few scraps with the clayton lad in our younger days and then ended up marrying a Clayton girl.
Old 23-10-2004, 12:40   #7

Anybody remember Freddie Gorton?

He lived near Broadleys and use to frequent the "Top Club" and the Hare & Hounds. Worked with me at Allspeeds in the 60's. He also played football for Altham amongst other teams.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 21:46   #8
mez
God Member

darby did he have a brother who worked at broadleys i think his name was frank
Old 23-10-2004, 21:59   #9
mez
God Member

alan, martins mum is still alive & got remarried a few yrs ago, viv& john are doing very well, hes just got a o.b.e from the queen for his work for charity. ill try to find viv's telephone no for you & pm it to you mabe then you can conntact martin again .
Old 24-10-2004, 19:47   #10
Beacon of light

Hi there Alan......
are you/were you related to Rose Gilmartin? I worked with Rose at the Carborundum from about 1969 to 1974. Joe Pilling who had the chip shop in Burnley Road is still around. My husbands mother Isobel Pilkington used to work at the Cambridge Press.
David and I married in 1966......so I remember George Hoyles Shop......and did Dora's F&C shop become Chans Chinese chippy. We lived at the bottom of Henry St.....Did you know Florence and Bob Pollard? John Oldham and his wife bought a little haber dashers next to or next but one to Hoyles...... I think it became a betting shop later.
Aaaah happy days!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 00:18   #11

Thanks, Mez & Margaret. It would be great if I could contact Martin again, its been over 30yrs. To answer other Questions. Woods F&C shop, they had a son in the RAF, as a pilot, he died flying, ( red arrows ?? ). Fred Skinner ( liked boys ) At one time my uncle Ted Talbot owned the Vic club. My anuty Rose Gilmartin, Dads sister, she died in 1969 of cancer, daughter Margaret lives in Clitheroe, Shiela in Gr Harwood. My mum work at the Carborundum at the same time as rose. Joe Pilling must be 90 now. My mum also worked at Cambridge Press, with aunty Kathleen Walkden. Yes Dora's became Chan's chippy. REmember Ramsbottons Sweet shop, Tildslys, potted meats, Youngs & Varlys Bakers. Frank Scamblers Grocers. Starkies Ironmongers, Gittens Newsagents, Hoyles, long row. John Garner was always a nice guy, He was asked to leave the police force, when he divorced his first wife. They had to back then. He used to run clayton youth club in the late 60s, down Aurthur St.
Old 25-10-2004, 00:24   #12

Sorry I have repeated myself here, But that first post was in May. Did'nt read it till now.
Old 25-10-2004, 00:37   #13
Junior Member+

Red face Re: Clayton history In 50s & 60s

The Woods son that was killed flying with the RAF acrobat group was Stanley, and was actually Walt Woods brothers' son. There were two boys, and the youngest son Trevor was adopted by Bertha and Walt, but not Stanley.(He was the eldest) I knew them really well, living next door but one to the F& C shop.
I also used to go in the toffee shop George Holyes on my way to school.

Kathleen Walkden, I knew her, didn't she marry Tony Walkden?

Henry Steet used to be called "Long-Row" didn't it?
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 05:14   #14

Kathleen, you mention is the daughter of my aunty kathleen & Jimmy Walkden. Tony is her Brother, he lives in Ossy and Kathleen lives up Dill Hall Lane, she married Dennis Parker. Uncle Jimmy is still living and lives in the house next door to where I was born in Atlas St, Number 58. ( have a look at photos, Mary's Music ) and take a look at Tommy Robsons door. Do you remember Joe Bracewell milkman and his horse and cart and Hacking's chippy just further down from Woods on left hand side.
Old 25-10-2004, 06:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
darby did he have a brother who worked at broadleys i think his name was frank
I don't know Mez...I only ever went drinking with Freddie, well apart from playing football and the fact he worked at Allspeeds! Thanks anyway!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..