Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2006, 00:14   #1

culvert street

Hi Just wondered if anybody knows were culvert street was located in accrington probably about 1900

julia
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2006, 22:55   #2
I am Banned

Re: culvert street

Yes it ran from Manchester road to Grange Lane, it is still there part under the Fire Station tower in Manchester Rd. the properties were not totally demolished, just enough to bring them down to 3 feet below the Fire Station yard, holes were made in them for the concrete pillars that support the fire station tower. By the way there was another street under the fire station yard, known as Brook St.
Walter
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 18:53   #3

Thanks Walter, that's very useful information. I'll see if I can find it on old maps now I know where I'm looking. My wife's g-g-grandmother was apparently living there (No 1) at the time of the 1861 census.

Alan
earthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 20:00   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog View Post
Thanks Walter, that's very useful information. I'll see if I can find it on old maps now I know where I'm looking. My wife's g-g-grandmother was apparently living there (No 1) at the time of the 1861 census.

Alan
Bloomin Eck this threads over 4 years old.
This was Culvert St looking from Grange Lane, to Manchester Rd.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Culvert St..jpg (203.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 27-01-2010, 20:03   #5

Well that's even better, ta very much. Looks quite nice doesn't it? I love all the names, dates and places in ancestry research, but photos really bring it all to life. Thanks again.

Alan
Old 27-01-2010, 20:22   #6
Senior Member+

Hi - what was your relatives surname? You never know, some of us may know something about her, you just never know! :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 20:31   #7
Senior Member+

Atarah - this person is posting from Windsor - is it possible that we have Royalty members who come from Accrington. I hope the answer is summat common like Hindle.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:18   #8

Sorry to disappoint, I don't live up at the big 'ouse, and Liz hasn't invited me for tea yet. Maybe to do with the fact that I was dragged up on a council estate in Rugby.
Old 27-01-2010, 21:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi - what was your relatives surname? You never know, some of us may know something about her, you just never know! :-)
This particular ancestor was Ann Jackson, though she was from Hull. She married Edward Burrow soon after the 1861 census and, as far as I know, remained in Accrington after that. Their daughter was Elizabeth Burrow and she married William Henry Woods. Their daughter was Edith Woods who married Benjamin Walter Cotter. Finally, their daughter was Mildred Cotter, my mother-in-law. There's a few names to go on with, I'd certainly be interested to hear from anyone with connections.

This is a great forum BTW, I got some help from the community a while back, see this thread:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-35639-2.html

Alan
Old 27-01-2010, 22:39   #10
I am Banned

Benjamin Walter Cotter.

Benjamin Walter Cotter.
L/Cpl. 17831. 11th East Lancs.
Original Accrington Pal.
Wnd 01-07-1916.
Lived in Mount Pleasant St, Oswaldtwistle.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-01-2010 at 22:41.
Old 28-01-2010, 07:00   #11

Oh thanks, yes that's him. And here he is (see attached). I've seen his listings on the Pals web site (absent voters and officers and men lists). Do you know of any other good sources of information? I suppose the obvious thing to look for would be what he was up to at the time he was wounded. Where might I go to find that do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg benjamin_walter_cotter.jpg (192.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 28-01-2010, 11:12   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Oh thanks, yes that's him. And here he is (see attached). I've seen his listings on the Pals web site (absent voters and officers and men lists). Do you know of any other good sources of information? I suppose the obvious thing to look for would be what he was up to at the time he was wounded. Where might I go to find that do you think?
You won't find much of any thing on that web site
and its full of mistakes, several of the Pals who fought at the battle of the Somme are missing.
And he does'nt have the true figures for the killed and wounded, just guesses, which is miles out.

Ben was wounded during the battle of the Somme
July 1st 1916.
There is an obituary for him in the paper in November 1941.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cotter. B.W. L-Cpl..JPG (301.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 28-01-2010, 11:21   #13

Yes, he was still quite young when he died, my mother-in-law (his daughter) was only about 15 at the time. Thanks for the pointer about the obituary, I'll see if I can get a copy. I guess the local library might hold copies or microfilms of the newspapers? I'll see what they say.

I'll get onto the relevant museums to see what information they hold.

Thanks once more for your help.
Old 28-01-2010, 11:22   #14

Sorry, I only just saw the attachment. That's marvellous!
Old 28-01-2010, 11:31   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Yes, he was still quite young when he died, my mother-in-law (his daughter) was only about 15 at the time. Thanks for the pointer about the obituary, I'll see if I can get a copy. I guess the local library might hold copies or microfilms of the newspapers? I'll see what they say.

I'll get onto the relevant museums to see what information they hold.

Thanks once more for your help.
You will only find a copy of his obit in Accy Library, your local library won't have it, the only other source could be the British Libary which is down in your area.
There is a mistake in the obit which says he enlisted in Sept 1914.
His service number wasn't issued until after Dec 8th 1914.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-01-2010 at 11:34.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..