Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 17:48   #16
dam

Re: does anybody know

It used to take clay from the clay quarry at the top of burnley rd, under burnley road down to the brick works. then there was an accident involving children so they built the cable system which carried the buckets of clay over burnley road.

the reason i asked if anyone new of it is because i wanted to know if its still there.
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2011, 18:08   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam View Post
It used to take clay from the clay quarry at the top of burnley rd, under burnley road down to the brick works. then there was an accident involving children so they built the cable system which carried the buckets of clay over burnley road.

the reason i asked if anyone new of it is because i wanted to know if its still there.
The cable system isn't I'd have noticed the last time I went to a funeral
Old 09-03-2011, 18:23   #18
Senior Member+

for Dam - how it used to be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redacbricksacos Burnleyroad.JPG (13.1 KB, 39 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:26   #19
Full Member+

That looks more dangerous than a tunnel under the road.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 00:01   #20

^^Agreed. Looks really unsafe. A good blast of wind and your car/horse is covered in clay. Any idea what the accident was? A cave-in seems unlikely beneath a major road - engineers would have been castrated.

Thanks for the pic Atarah - I've never seen that.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam View Post

well if you wanted to know if it was still there you should have told us where it was and someone could have gone and had a look for you
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52   #22
Senior Member+

Grief Mick, you got out of bed the wrong side?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:56   #23
Senior Member+

Whilst I cannot come up with the date, I do know that the fatal acident involved a Huncoat policeman's child in the tunnel, and resulted in the overhead sysrtem being initiated. There is a photo of the system in the boojk 'Hncoat Uncoated' by John Goddard, which I published.

I have just looked at the book - the photo we have been discussing is in it (p33) and tells that the system was dismantled in the 60s.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..