Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2004, 14:48   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Hardly the gates of paradise

There was a lodge/reservoir off Blackburn Rd, where the new houses are being built now. Maybe at some stage those houses overlooked it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2004, 14:50   #17
Resident Waffler

Ah now that's an idea. It was probably the other side of those two houses that actually had the view.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2004, 18:58   #18
Senior Member+

Savoy Street runnung parallel to Blackburn Road
Old 24-10-2004, 23:43   #19
Senior Member+

Lower and Higher Antley Halls

Hard to imagine we have had "Halls" in Accrington, eh?

Lower Antley Hall - Everything long since gone. Was situated near the railway line between Lonsdale Street and Newark Street. For many centuries the home of the Rishton family. In structure, Antley Hall was in the Tudor style of stone-built houses of the lesser gentry of the 16th and 17th centuries. This hall consisted of the middle block with two gabled wings. The windows were square-headed, divided by mullions with moulded head dripstones. There was no date on the hall itself, but the figures 1614 appeared on the stable wall. The west wing had two mullioned windows of six lights, with a window of three lights in the gable. The east wing had mullioned windows of three lights in the gable. The east side had a one-storey porch, probably built at a later stage than the hall itself. The row of cottages was built at a much later date, at a time when the hall itself had been divided into seperate tenements. Lower Antlley was one of the most ancient halls in Accrington

Many of our old halls have vanished from our view, and we have no pictures to look at, thank goodness this painting was done. An old book printed in 1928 says that a Mrs Mawer, who used to be landlady of The Antley Inn, used to have a painting of the hall. Maybe you know someone who is related to this person, the painting could still be in Accrington somewhere?

Higher Antley Hall - like many of the "lesser important" halls, this eventually became a farmhouse. It occupies a prominent position on the crest of the hill adjoining Bullough Park. It is one of the houses of the 17th century, so well built that it still survives today. It was from an old quarry, near this hall, that the stone for Broad Oak Mill (better known as The New Factory) was quarried. (Still there, top of Church Street, now used By Broughtons)

PS - Apparently Tewitt Hall (mentioned recently in a thread) was reputedly a building of a similar type to Higher Antley.
PPS - I am well interested in the tale of the Roman Road, just never heard of this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowerrantleyhall.jpg (77.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Higherantleyhall1_resize.jpg (98.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 24-10-2004 at 23:44.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2004, 10:09   #20

There was a lodge there, it went from the back of rists wires down to church traffic lights, now a new build housing estate. I spent many happy hours playing at the lodge when I was but a girl. I think it was called lower antley reservoir.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2004, 18:14   #21
Junior Member+

there used to be lodge on the other side of the houses that belonged to Lower Antley Mill dont know what they made though
diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 14:22   #22

Smile Re: Hardly the gates of paradise

The lodge was behind the cottages, it stretched from Church traffic lights up to the back of Rists Wires & Cables,now a site for new build homes. We spent many happy hours playing at the lodge when we were children.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 21:43   #23
I am Banned

If you go back far enough in history, all that part of Accrington was known as Antley. I'm talking about back in the 1300's, it was eventually split into Higher & Lower when the copy holds were drawn up. Check the Halmote Court Rolls.
Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Wow A-b do you think we can persuade the council to dig down to the Roman Road - get Time Team in! We can have a real tourist attraction there, very historical.

It has always amused me that Higher Antley Street and Lower Antley Street are so far away from each other but it makes sense when you think that both are named after halls and originally there was probably very little in between.

I love these history lessons.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 22:16   #24

anyone any pics of the antley reservoirs??
Andrew69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:15   #25
Senior Member+

The presence of the paperbag manufacturers interests me. A visitor to Accrington in the 1870s(?) wrote of such a manufacturer and inferred that he, the manufacturer, was the inventor of them.I seem to recall that the factory was on Dale St. I have not been able to find more about it. Perhaps an Accrington man had applied for a patent. How long had Hyde's been going? In 1951 the owner, Ernest Hyde, lived 147 Willows Lane.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:42   #26
Senior Member+

Nice to see this thread which Acrylic Bob started has been given a "new lease of life". This fascinates me about a Roman road, never heard this before and still none the wiser. "There is also a Vicinial Roman Road in the area, about four feet below the present ground level". BOB, WHERE ARE YOU???? COME BACK TO ACCY WEB and give us more detail please!!!!
I have a photo of the old Lodge, just having trouble locating it, then will post. Its one Owd Bert took many years back.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:10   #27
Senior Member+

I hate to be a spoil sport, but the likelihood of this being a Roman road is very low. There is no record of them having crossed through Accrington, never mind having made a road. It could be an old track, but Roman? - no. Medieval? -possibly. Mythology along the lines of tunnels leading to Whalley Abbey.

Incidentally, the next meeting of the Local History Society is on Thursday 7th Jan in the library and is about the Roman Army, especially the soldiers based at Ribchester.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 13:58   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post

Incidentally, the next meeting of the Local History Society is on Thursday 7th Jan in the library and is about the Roman Army, especially the soldiers based at Ribchester.
Yes, I am going to that, mainly about the cavalry in Ribchester, given by Lt.Col. Charles Jackman from Fulwood Barracks. Been to the last two, and really enjoyed them.

Atarah .. what does Vicinial mean ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 17:12   #29
Senior Member+

Aint a flippin clue! Tee hee. Just copied what Acrylic Bob had said

Cousin Bob Dobson has just sent me these details - Vicinal is the correct spelling by the way.
In this instance, it means a minor roadway/street., not as important as a main highway.ie a by-road or cross-road used by common right.

Hey, you ask the question at that Local History Meeting in January. Maybe the speaker knows!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif happy1.gif (27.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 29-12-2009, 17:39   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

Cousin Bob Dobson has just sent me these details - Vicinal is the correct spelling by the way.
In this instance, it means a minor roadway/street., not as important as a main highway.ie a by-road or cross-road used by common right.

Hey, you ask the question at that Local History Meeting in January. Maybe the speaker knows!!!!!
Ah yes, comes up in the dictionary now :

vic⋅i⋅nal

vicinity

–adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or belonging to a neighborhood or district. 2. neighboring; adjacent. 3. Crystallography. noting a plane the position of which varies very little from that of a fundamental plane of the form.

(Pity this online one can't spell neighbourhood or neighbouring !)

Now going to look up 'Chrystallography' LOL.

Last edited by katex; 29-12-2009 at 17:43.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..