Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2011, 10:35   #16

Re: Help with a couple of slides please

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
the 2nd picture looks like rough hey farm, as viewed from the bottom of Broadfield.rd fern gore...but thats before they were put the right way round..could they have been correct in first place?
Unfortunately I don't know. These slides were not mounted in proper sleeves and with the others I could work it out with the writing etc on shops and vehicles but not with these 2.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2011, 21:48   #17

I have found a farm which on many fronts fit the picture... and if I'm right Retlaw was incredibly close with his initial shout of West's Farm. Turning left at the very top of Sandy Lane instead of right you will come to Moleside End Farm. The layout of the building, roofline and workshop extension is right and the location of an electricity pylon and wires visible to the rear right of the farmhouse is also correct. The large tree visible over the roof however would have to be 130m behind the building. Thoughs anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newfarm3b.jpg (55.9 KB, 51 views)
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 21:20   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
I have found a farm which on many fronts fit the picture... and if I'm right Retlaw was incredibly close with his initial shout of West's Farm. Turning left at the very top of Sandy Lane instead of right you will come to Moleside End Farm. The layout of the building, roofline and workshop extension is right and the location of an electricity pylon and wires visible to the rear right of the farmhouse is also correct. The large tree visible over the roof however would have to be 130m behind the building. Thoughs anyone?
I think its leafield farm sandy lane accrington , i have just finished re pointing the front of it and the date stone above the door has been replaced with a new one as the old one crumbled when we were hacking out around it.The letters were EANR which i believe stands for Edward, Albert ,Nuttal ,Royd as in the street names,sorry cant remember the date on the stone sorry
Old 26-08-2011, 22:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
I think its leafield farm sandy lane accrington , i have just finished re pointing the front of it and the date stone above the door has been replaced with a new one as the old one crumbled when we were hacking out around it.The letters were EANR which i believe stands for Edward, Albert ,Nuttal ,Royd as in the street names,sorry cant remember the date on the stone sorry
I think that's a good call. The land is falling the right way if the extension is next to Sandy Lane (looking up Sandy Lane). This aspect bothered me re Moleside End. Looking at Street View which just covers Leafield I think youve got it spot on.
Looks like the big tree has long gone though!
Old 27-08-2011, 12:13   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Doesn't remind me of Leafield, I used to pass that farm pretty often on my way to West farm.
Leafield was then owned by the Wright Family, who moved from Hambledon Hall.
Leafield was a much bigger building that the one on the slide.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 13:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Doesn't remind me of Leafield, I used to pass that farm pretty often on my way to West farm.
Leafield was then owned by the Wright Family, who moved from Hambledon Hall.
Leafield was a much bigger building that the one on the slide.
Retlaw.
How much bother might I be in if I posted an image from Google Earth's street view. It's copyrighted but I would credit them?
Old 27-08-2011, 14:46   #22
I am Banned

Just out of curiosity I went up Sandy Lane two hours ago, the lane up to New House isn't too bad, but I couldn't drive any further. Went over the bypass and came in from the top. Spent ages talking to two of the residents of property's in Sandy Lane.
Pictures attached.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broad Oak Fold.JPG (365.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Leafield Farm oldest part..jpg (313.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Leafield Farm Sandy Lane..jpg (266.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Leafleld farm date stone..JPG (159.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg New House Farm Sandy Lane.jpg (579.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Whithams.JPG (271.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Neil; 28-08-2011 at 12:27. Reason: Replaced a picture as requested
Old 27-08-2011, 15:09   #23

Nice pics Retlaw, and you got some sunshine to boot. The street view pic is just like your 4th picture but before it was repointed / rebuilt. I think both of Anzac's pics are now identified.

Just for info, when I was on the post in that area Sandy Lane was hard to negotiate (late 80's) I used to use the track that traversed the valley from High Riley Brox to New Field Farm and Barn.
Old 27-08-2011, 15:13   #24

Thanks everyone for your help.

Now that we sort of know the area I will pass the slides on to Accrington Community History Department along with the others.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 10:32   #25

Retlaw, The farm buildings in your pic identified as High Riley Brox is actually Lower Whithams Barn (foreground) and Heights Cottages just behind. High Riley Brox would be a couple of hundred meters to the right of your picture. Cllr Strak lived in one of the cottages back when I was up there. The track up from Broad Oak passes between the two.

Ian
Old 28-08-2011, 11:03   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Retlaw, The farm buildings in your pic identified as High Riley Brox is actually Lower Whithams Barn (foreground) and Heights Cottages just behind. High Riley Brox would be a couple of hundred meters to the right of your picture. Cllr Strak lived in one of the cottages back when I was up there. The track up from Broad Oak passes between the two.

Ian
Your right Ian, it is Lower Whithams & Heights Cottages, I should have used my own head insted of relying on what passing locals told me.[/FONT]
I will amend the picture.
Thanks.

(I have changed the picture as requested by Retlaw - Neil)

Last edited by Neil; 28-08-2011 at 12:28. Reason: Requested to change a picture by Retlaw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..