Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 15:08   #1

Talking Hi guys, could you give me a hand....Bridge House, Church? Does anyone know anything?

Hi,
I'm currently looking to find out about Bridge House, Church for my grandad. He said that initially one of the managers that worked at F.Steiners used to live there/own it. His aunt and uncle, eddie whittaker, lived there for some time, and he remembers playing there as a child. We have only one picture found in a memories of accrington book, but its only of the cottages that used to be behind it. The site where it used to be is where the sports centre is now, and thats across from the gift tree factory thing.
If anyone has any more information, pictures, memories, ANYTHING.....please please please get back to us. He really wants to find out some history and fill in the blanks!
Thanks very much
laura darcy
laurad2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2011, 15:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hi guys, could you give me a hand....Bridge House, Church? Does anyone know anyth

I cannot remember them, but in 1951 there were 3 Bridge Houses, occupied by L Williams/ H Whittaker, a merchant/ and Misses G&D Horrocks. They appear to have been next door to the Bridge pub. A check of the 1911 (& earlier) census may reveal more. They seem to have been at the very entrance to Nelson Square, about which there has been at least one thread. Look for it by clicking onto Search on the top line above. They didn't have a number, but the Bridge pub was 135 Henry St. Try Accrington library for a photo. At the top side of the Bridge pub was the Bridge Press, operated by Jim & Mary Clarke, and above that was the Wellington pub.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 07:14   #3
Give, give, give member

Re: Hi guys, could you give me a hand....Bridge House, Church? Does anyone know anyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I cannot remember them, but in 1951 there were 3 Bridge Houses, occupied by L Williams/ H Whittaker, a merchant/ and Misses G&D Horrocks. They appear to have been next door to the Bridge pub. A check of the 1911 (& earlier) census may reveal more. They seem to have been at the very entrance to Nelson Square, about which there has been at least one thread. Look for it by clicking onto Search on the top line above. They didn't have a number, but the Bridge pub was 135 Henry St. Try Accrington library for a photo. At the top side of the Bridge pub was the Bridge Press, operated by Jim & Mary Clarke, and above that was the Wellington pub.
Here's the thread anout Nelson Square.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...are-55927.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:08   #4

thanks for getting back to me yeah its very concievable as the house was split up into flats...any clue where i could find a picture of the place? ive been to accrington library but not had any luck :/
laurad2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 19:54   #5
Senior Member+

Having cast myu mind back, I seem to recall that there were 3 low, small houses there. Have a look into the Bridge pub to see if there are any photos on the wall. I suggest you put a thread on the forum (community?)which has a Church sub-section and direct readers to come to this one. Have a look at any census return It may well give a clue based on house numbers.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 22:43   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Having cast myu mind back, I seem to recall that there were 3 low, small houses there. Have a look into the Bridge pub to see if there are any photos on the wall. I suggest you put a thread on the forum (community?)which has a Church sub-section and direct readers to come to this one. Have a look at any census return It may well give a clue based on house numbers.
he'll have job bob, the bridge pub is completely gutted at the moment, been closed all year n longer.
Old 09-12-2011, 18:25   #7
Junior Member+

Lightbulb Re: Hi guys, could you give me a hand....Bridge House, Church? Does anyone know anyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
he'll have job bob, the bridge pub is completely gutted at the moment, been closed all year n longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurad2313 View Post
Hi,
I'm currently looking to find out about Bridge House, Church for my grandad. He said that initially one of the managers that worked at F.Steiners used to live there/own it. His aunt and uncle, eddie whittaker, lived there for some time, and he remembers playing there as a child. We have only one picture found in a memories of accrington book, but its only of the cottages that used to be behind it. The site where it used to be is where the sports centre is now, and thats across from the gift tree factory thing.
If anyone has any more information, pictures, memories, ANYTHING.....please please please get back to us. He really wants to find out some history and fill in the blanks!
Thanks very much
laura darcy
Eddie Whittaker was also my uncle, my mother is his sister (still batting at 91) Eddie died in 1973, and his son Terry Whittaker died in a motor bike crash in August 1963. I was born at Bridge House. Originally, my grandad Harry Whittaker wanted to buy Bridge House but the owners Steiners wouldn't sell it to him so he rented it. This was approximately 1936. He lived there with his wife Annie Whittaker, son Eddie and daughter Sylvia (my Mum). Annie died in 1947 (coronary thrombosis). Harry kept pigs and various livestock. He had a pen at the other side of the river and there was a little wooden bridge that crossed the river to it. Also he had a large garden with a Greenhouse to the side of Bridge House. Uncle Eddie ran a car repair business in the large workshops to the side of the house. Eddie and Annie moved in approximately 1954/56 to No.3 Dill Hall Lane. This place had large stables attached to it. After a few years he knocked this down and built a garage (Church Hall Garage) which still operates as a filling station today. The house next door to Bridge House was added to and split into two houses. The people in the front of the house were called Williams. The back part belonged to the two Horrocks sisters (I think I may have some pictures of my Mum in her 20s stood outside the front door and also sat in a car).
Thanks
Trev

Tags
bridge house, church, manor house, steiner.co

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..