Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 08:12   #1

Hippodrome

Further to the original Quiz No 4 here are three from Uncle Bert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227-Hippodrome&Car-A.jpg (82.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 231-Hippo-Dem-1972.jpg (79.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 226-HippodromePoster.jpg (83.0 KB, 146 views)
THOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2005, 22:25   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hippodrome

me late mam said she saw joseph locke at the hippodrome,any of the owd uns remember?love the photos.
Old 27-09-2005, 17:09   #3
Junior Member+

I've heard that - Josef Locke - also heard that Charlie Chaplin appeared there in his very early Fred Karno Circus days before he went to America - that must have been early 1900's.
KAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 18:39   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the middle photo brought back some sad memories,we used to play in there as kids,was trapdoors in the stage and we thought it was a great adventure, until one winters night when a lad that used to play with us slipped off the roof and fell into ellison street and was killed. in a strange sort of way i was lucky, me mam kept me in that night cos i was full of a cold- fell out with her cos i thought i was ok, its a strange life!
Old 29-09-2005, 12:35   #5
Senior Member+

I remember him cash, he used to sit next to me for English at Rhyddings. I remember feeling really strange because I hadn't come across death before.
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 21:52   #6
Resting in Peace

I remember my mum saying she saw Julie Andrews there, did an act with her mum and dad ... said real ugly kid !! ugly duckling turned into a swan though, didn't she ?
My dad was a part-time professional musician and played in the music pit on many occasions.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:01   #7

remembering the Hippodrome brings back many memories of performers, such as [The Frank Brothers ] [ Frank Randle] [ Nosmoking] , and what about all those wanderful shows that Bulloughs put on there, Felix Mendelson and his Hawian Seranaders was another Big show that used to come to town
Trevor B Williams
Trevis2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..