Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2008, 19:45   #1
Senior Member+

Holland Street

If anyone is in the area with a camera over the next few days could they take some snaps? I lived at 14 for a few years and it sadly looks like demolition time has come! All the windows were boarded up when I went past on the bus the other day.
It's a real shame, it was a lovely little house that. You can bet that the pine doors and the fireplaces have gone already.
Old 22-02-2008, 21:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Holland Street

I would appreciate some photos too as I lived at number 32 until I married. To be honest I felt such a lurch when I saw Lyndsay's post as I have lots of memories of the area.

I'd love to see it again for one last time.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 21:33   #3
Senior Member+

It looks really sad June, I loved that house the moment I walked thru the door on the first viewing and to think of it now all dark and empty is quite upsetting.
Old 22-02-2008, 21:36   #4
Senior Member+

My Mum bought ours in the late fifties and I remember that her mortgage was 350 quid. No bathroom or any luxuries but we were happy enough. Lots of memories.

Old 22-02-2008, 21:44   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
I would appreciate some photos too as I lived at number 32 until I married. To be honest I felt such a lurch when I saw Lyndsay's post as I have lots of memories of the area.

I'd love to see it again for one last time.
i have quite a few memories of the area around there, both of em were fit.
Old 22-02-2008, 21:47   #6
Senior Member+

There are a couple of photos of Holland St on the Accrington uncovered site , in the Project Phoenix bit, they are the last 2 on. Must have been a while back though as that huge conifer you can see on the first one was in my garden and it was chopped down about 3 years back!
Old 22-02-2008, 23:30   #7
Senior Member+

I remember that the white house at the top was a little shop when I was a kid and the lady next door was called Annie. I also remember that there was a chap half way down who had a train set in his bedroom. No-one ever saw it but it earned him the name of 'puffing billy'.

We were on the same side of the street but in the top half. There was a Mrs Hirst who had a dog called Peggy. She never knocked but would walk in shouting 'it's only me'. Alderson, Dawson and Shorrocks are the names that I can recall.

Old 23-02-2008, 08:46   #8
Resting in Peace

Have a look at these i took this morning for you sat 23/02/08 i will add more as they pull them down

Holland st- Accrington Gallery
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 09:09   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Have a look at these i took this morning for you sat 23/02/08 i will add more as they pull them down

Holland st- Accrington Gallery
I see you got a picture of my old backyard Mick,when I left a year ago the yard was empty and the wall was still up! Looks like it's been used as a landfill site now, it must be full though because they have started using the front garden for tipping as well.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 13:51   #10
Resting in Peace

more photo's added as i got the wrong address the first time added number 14 and 32 holland st
Old 23-02-2008, 20:02   #11
Senior Member+

Thank you so much Mick. So sad to see it go but I suppose that it had to happen at some point. My Mum was buried from there and I left it on my wedding day.

It would be appreciated if you follow the progress and thanks again xxxx

Old 24-02-2008, 19:42   #12
Senior Member+

Thanks Mick, what a crying shame ! Those houses were a decent size and it was a decent area when I moved there in 1993 , strangely no mention of project phoenix when I bought it !
Old 24-02-2008, 20:23   #13
God Member

It is nice to remember pleasant times in houses once lived in, and sad to see them demolished.
I have lived in 11 different houses in my lifetime. They have varied between 200 years old and brand new - 2 flats, 6 terraced, 1 semi, 1 bungalow and 1 cottage.

It is very easy to get sentimental and attached to a place that has happy memories, but we need reminding that it is only bricks and mortar, and as times and we change, the house style we need changes too.

What matters most is the people we knew and loved when we lived there, and that will stay with you as long as you have the memory.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 20:47   #14
God Member

are there actually folk still living in a couple of them ?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 20:59   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
are there actually folk still living in a couple of them ?
yes two of the property's are still occupied

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..