Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2010, 21:11   #16

Re: MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals

I have recently found out my great uncle was a Corporal in the Accrington Pals, he was John Dickinson of 30 Clifton Street, Rishton if anyone has any information on him

Carol
genialcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2010, 21:43   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by genialcarol View Post
I have recently found out my great uncle was a Corporal in the Accrington Pals, he was John Dickinson of 30 Clifton Street, Rishton if anyone has any information on him

Carol
John Dickinson.
Pte. 15481. 11th E.L.
enlisted age 19. 18 Sept 1914.
did not go with Pals to Egypt & France.
Transferred to the 12th E.L. T.R. & 75th T.R., as Cpl.
Transferred as Gunner 146325. R.G.A. 19-12-1916.
Transferred as Sapper 252627. R.E. 28-5-1917

Discharged from the army 18th May 1919. 30 Clifton St, Rishton.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 17-05-2010 at 21:46.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 19:32   #18
Senior Member+

Went to Holden Vale Antique Centre last week and spotted this seat, in Bill's honour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holden Vale June 2010.jpg (361.4 KB, 35 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 08:48   #19

Bill produced a book on the Men from St Stephens Church (Now Holden Wood Antiques) who died in both World Wars. When the centre opened in 1995 a memorial was unveiled by The Mayor of Rossendale to the men which was still there the last time I went up.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 10:17   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Went to Holden Vale Antique Centre last week and spotted this seat, in Bill's honour.
Mrs Turner spoke to the owner of the site last year, and he allowed her to have the bench and plaque installed. Mrs Turner paid for it, in memory of Bill.

Retlaw.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:45   #21
I am Banned

On Monday July 5th it will be 4 years since Bill Turner died.
94 years ago on Wednesday July 5th 1916, the remaining men who had spent the last few days bringing in the wounded and burying the dead gathered in Rowland trench, when R.S.M. Stanworth called the roll, 43 men asnwered their names, they then marched back to B.HQ and into the reserve, it was nearly December before the Battalion was back up to full strength, 775 men joined the battalion in batches, most of them coming from the former 12th reserve battalion, renamed 75th T.R. Some officers and senior N.C.O's were transfered from other regiments. The Accrington Pals was no more, just the 11th Battalion East Lancs.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Mick; 06-07-2011 at 17:05.
Old 05-07-2011, 23:07   #22
I am Banned

IN MEMORIAM.

In Memory of William Turner "Accrington Pals"
Who died four years ago.
Sadly missed by his
Wife Ruth, daughter Loise,
and friend Walter.

Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 06-07-2011 at 13:02. Reason: edited as requested
Old 04-07-2012, 23:12   #23
I am Banned

IN MEMORIAM.
In Memory of William Turner "Accrington Pals"
Who died Thursday July 5th 2007

Sadly missed by his
Wife Ruth, daughter Loise,
and his researcher Walter.

Retlaw.

I have now completed the work on the men who served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, 4292 men served in the Battalion from its formation in September 1914 to its disbandment in October 1919. Bill Turners publishers have now informed me that its unsailable, that they would need to sell a minimum of 300 copies to break even, and who would buy a near 400 page book of genealogy
information just to look up their grandad.
Old 04-07-2012, 23:30   #24
Super Moderator

Bill Turner - an immensely knowledgeable bloke who never blew his own trumpet.

I'd buy a copy, firstly, because I'd find it interesting and secondly, simply as a memorial to these brave lads...and to Bill.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 04-07-2012 at 23:33.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It would be a terrible shame to let all that hard work just disappear so why not make it into an e-book available free for all those who are interested?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36   #26

This sounds like a case for Bob Dobson and Landy Publishing. Can we not do it by subscription? I'm sure many of us would contribute.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I would certainly have one, if twas possible.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52   #28
Resting in Peace

That's a slap in the face for Bill and Walter, I would certainly buy one, I have seen the work Walter has put in to fulfill the work that Bill started, and it shouldn't be left on a shelf
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It would be a terrible shame to let all that hard work just disappear so why not make it into an e-book available free for all those who are interested?
First off whats an e-book, 2ndly there are 1/2 dozen so called Pals experts out there, that I know of, they would just love to get their grubby hands on all that work for nowt, and then claim they did it.

I have considered one alternative but its expensive, & long winded, printing one copy on a special paper, if some one tries to photocopy it or scan it, it turns black, trouble is its 100 quid a ream.
One of the main things which aggravate me is most people never realise how much it has cost in time and money, just so they can view the information with little effort on their part.
Bill & I spent 100's of hour travelling round, collecting names from Rolls of Honour, & War Memorials, travelling down to the Public Record Office in London for a week a a time, travelling to Preston to their Record Office & Fulwood Barracks, into Yorkshire viewing newspapers & memorials for the 78 Yorkshire men who were transferred into the 11th in May 1916, computers & their maintainance isn't free either.
I'm supposed to give it away for free, I should coco, I'll wipe the bluudy discs first.
Retlaw.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
........I have now completed the work on the men who served in the 11th Battalion East Lancs, 4292 men served in the Battalion from its formation in September 1914 to its disbandment in October 1919. Bill Turners publishers have now informed me that its unsailable, that they would need to sell a minimum of 300 copies to break even, and who would buy a near 400 page book of genealogy
information just to look up their grandad........

......I'm supposed to give it away for free, I should coco, I'll wipe the bluudy discs first.
Retlaw.
If the publishers say it is unsaleable and you don't want to give it away to those that would like to see it you might as well wipe your disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
First off whats an e-book, 2ndly there are 1/2 dozen so called Pals experts out there, that I know of, they would just love to get their grubby hands on all that work for nowt, and then claim they did it.
Here is a link to some info about publishing your own ebook.

How to self-publish an ebook | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

As for people stealing your work, they would do that whatever format you publish it in.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..