Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 18:42   #1
I am Banned

Old Accrington

Found this whilst searching for a soldiers obit in the Accy Observer 1917.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mount Pleasant Terr 11-17.JPG (312.9 KB, 175 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2009, 20:41   #2

re: Old Accrington

I think this is the terrace far right with The Hargreaves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manchester Road Accrington.jpg (354.3 KB, 69 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 15:42   #3
Senior Member+

Hi Wadey, yes that is the terrace shown on the old photo supplied by Retlaw. This terrace is known as Bank Terrace and was built 1834. Certainly the oldest elevated terrace in Accrington.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 16:41   #4
Senior Member+

Old Accrington

Glad you put that photo on Retlaw. Has made me at last get round to giving some information I have intended doing for a while. Its sad that sometimes people are mis-led about historical information, not always intentional.
Your photo shows a rounded building (in the centre of the photo). This was the Toll Bar (Manchester Road and Grange Lane being on each side of it). At the other side of the road, between Grange Lane and Wellington Street, was another rounded building. This, many years ago, was known as Bew's Shop, then it became Riley's shop, then it was used as a small nursing home, then North Lancs Training Group used it, now its a house I believe. But ... somewhere along the line, someone has probably looked at pictures such as the one you have shown here Retlaw, and .. assumed ... it was the Toll bar and have now had a lovely plaque put on the wall saying it is the Toll House. WRONG!
Its the premises of Bew's shop. The sad thing is, people moving into the area will accept that this once was the Toll bar/house, cos they wont know any different.
But .. at least WE all know now, eh? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bewsshopoct09.jpg (514.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg bewsshopcloseupoct09.jpg (518.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 16:42   #5
Senior Member+

Old Accrington

Glad you put that photo on Retlaw. Has made me at last get round to giving some information I have intended doing for a while. Its sad that sometimes people are mis-led about historical information, not always intentional.
Your photo shows a rounded building (in the centre of the photo). This was the Toll Bar (Manchester Road and Grange Lane being on each side of it). At the other side of the road, between Grange Lane and Wellington Street, was another rounded building. This, many years ago, was known as Bew's Shop, then it became Riley's shop, then it was used as a small nursing home, then North Lancs Training Group used it, now its a house I believe. But ... somewhere along the line, someone has probably looked at pictures such as the one you have shown here Retlaw, and .. assumed ... it was the Toll bar and have now had a lovely plaque put on the wall saying it is The Old Toll House. WRONG!
Its the premises of Bew's shop. The sad thing is, people moving into the area will accept that this once was the Toll bar/house, cos they wont know any different.
But .. at least WE all know now, eh? :-)
Old 10-10-2009, 19:31   #6
I am Banned

[quote=Atarah;752258]Glad you put that photo on Retlaw. Has made me at last get round to giving some information I have intended doing for a while. Its sad that sometimes people are mis-led about historical information, not always intentional.

Yes, do you remember when it was being done up, I could hear some one working in the bottom floor, you can only see the to 12" of the windows. I shouted down and asked him what he was doing. Result was I nipped home for my camera and he let me take photos of the old fire places and some of the things he had found.
They also built that wall at the front which encroached onto the pavement, they were supposed to knock it down but its still there.

Another misnamed building is at the bottom of Timber St, which says Cow Houses, its over 700 yards from Cow Houses, which in the 1841 and 1851 census returns, is actually an area of Accrington centered round Black Abbey, not a specific building.
Were you there on the day went into Cow Houses with Walter Haworth and took photos and made detailed drawings of it

Retlaw.
Old 10-10-2009, 19:39   #7

Thanks for the info
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 20:30   #8
I am Banned

Re confusion at top of Grange Lane and Wellington St, hope these pictures clear things up once and for all.

Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grange Lane before 1930.jpg (133.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Grange Lane Bews Shop.jpg (229.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Grange Lane Bews Shop-1.jpg (180.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Grange Lane Old House.jpg (288.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-10-2009 at 20:32.
Old 10-10-2009, 20:37   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I think this is the terrace far right with The Hargreaves
Do you mean this.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bank Terrace. .jpg (270.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-10-2009, 23:31   #10

Thats just the end of my street !! the "Toll house" was a old folks home in the 1990s and then nltg took it over for offices , i haven't seen the sign saying cow houses though !!
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40   #11
Senior Member+

The sign Cow Houses is on the bottom cottage in Timber Street. Probably just trying to re-create a bit of old Accrington and its possibly mentioned on their deeds, you never know.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:09   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
Thats just the end of my street !! the "Toll house" was a old folks home in the 1990s and then nltg took it over for offices , i haven't seen the sign saying cow houses though !!
ian
I thought the picture would have explained that the property at the top of Wellington St and Grange Lane was NOT the "Toll House" It was Bews Shop, old folks home etc.

The TOLL House was demolished when they built the Fire Station Houses.
Look at the pictures again, the frontages are entirely different.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-10-2009 at 10:12.
Old 11-10-2009, 13:58   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
The sign Cow Houses is on the bottom cottage in Timber Street. Probably just trying to re-create a bit of old Accrington and its possibly mentioned on their deeds, you never know.
I doubt it is mentioned on their deeds, all that land surrounding the Christ Church area was part of Grange Farm, which belonged to Lawrence Duckworth.
The farm buildings were situated where Kemp & Murrays butchers shop was.
The word Cow House Post was only mentioned in the 1841/51 census directions, for the census takers benefit.

Retlaw
Old 05-02-2011, 00:40   #14

Much fun and amusement with this thread! I am the current owner of the wrongly attributed Toll House!! Very appreciative of the comments and the fact that my husband let you, Retlaw, see what state its in at the moment. We are trying our best to be sympathetic to the buildings former uses and hope to have some exciting plans for it in the future. We will not be removing any original features. If anyone can help with any further history of the building, as I really do love it, it would be great. NLTG left behind some framed articles and pictures - of which have been posted on here- but it would be nice to hear locals stories. Thanks again for clearing up mistakes. It's a pain to know that we will have to take out the etched glass which states 'The Toll House' in the outside lamp though!!!
Atarah likes this.
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:31   #15
God Member

Err...why do you have to take out the etched glass?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..