Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 08:11   #16
Mog

Re: old st peters school crown street

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Would that be Len's chip shop on Ranger Street ?

One of the best .
No Lens was at the top end of Ranger street. This was a little house come chip shop. The very last house on Crown street on the left hand side going up from Willows Lane before Ranger street. Think it was next door to either the Gillfoyles or the Bartholomews, Didn't last for long they couldn't compete with Len. Mind you they were crap.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47   #17
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
This was a little house come chip shop. The very last house on Crown street on the left hand side going up from Willows Lane before Ranger street.
Would that be across the road from Tony Boardman's house ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:27   #18
Mog

Quote:
Would that be across the road from Tony Boardman's house ?
No mate it was on the corner of Crown Street and Ranger street. Tony was my mate for years, He lived in the first house coming up Crown street and I lived in the 4th house. Did you know Tony well, Do you know where he lives. I have not seen him since 1969. Is he still about do you know.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
No mate it was on the corner of Crown Street and Ranger street. Tony was my mate for years, He lived in the first house coming up Crown street and I lived in the 4th house. Did you know Tony well, Do you know where he lives. I have not seen him since 1969. Is he still about do you know.
Suggest you put him onto Missing Friends/Family thread with his name as header
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 15:57   #20
JCB

Quote:
I was in the same class as Tony at St Oswald's Infants . Then I would see him after that when we were both altar servers at the Sacred Heart church .

The last I heard of him was from his dad whom I saw in the Willow Mount in the early 1970s .

If I remember rightly , Tony had joined the army . That's about all I know .
Old 09-11-2014, 15:47   #21
Super Moderator

Len's chippie was on the corner of Ranger Street and Eden Street, opposite the side of St Peter's School. Definitely, best chippie ever, anywhere.
JCB likes this.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 09-11-2014 at 15:49.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 15:52   #22
Super Moderator

St Peter's Institute was on the corner of Richmond Street and Higher Antley Street. Used to go to the youth club there around '63/'64.
Old 09-11-2014, 15:55   #23

Quote:
Would that be Len's chip shop on Ranger Street ?

One of the best .
My Grandma lived at 57 Ranger St. Len's chippy was on the corner of Eden Street and Ranger St, across the road was St. Peter's school, I used to go there on Sundays after Church. I have a photo of me and my brother on one of the church processions standing on the slope going into the school.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 15:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
St Peter's Institute was on the corner of Richmond Street and Higher Antley Street. Used to go to the youth club there around '63/'64.
Wasn't that also the Mothers Union Club? I think my grandma used to go there when I was little.
Is St.Peters Church still being used as a Church? lol
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 19:47   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Wasn't that also the Mothers Union Club? I think my grandma used to go there when I was little.
The Institute was used for all the various societies and groups from St Peter's Church - the Mothers' Union, the Mens' Fellowship, the youth club etc. Not been up that way for a long time, so no idea whether or not it's still being used as a church.
Old 09-11-2014, 20:17   #26
Senior Member+

I think they had a few sham weddings at St. Peters.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 20:20   #27
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Yes St. Peter's church is still up and running .

The priest , who was ordained about 6 months ago , lives in the vicarage now on Park Crescent , just before Bullough Park .
Old 09-11-2014, 20:23   #28
JCB

Quote:
The Institute was used for all the various societies and groups from St Peter's Church - the Mothers' Union, the Mens' Fellowship, the youth club etc. Not been up that way for a long time, so no idea whether or not it's still being used as a church.
What was the Institute is now a building used by Muslims .
Old 10-11-2014, 01:41   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes St. Peter's church is still up and running .

The priest , who was ordained about 6 months ago , lives in the vicarage now on Park Crescent , just before Bullough Park .
Glad to hear the old place is still going strong, Colin. I was an altar boy there about a million years ago.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:47   #30
JCB

Quote:
Glad to hear the old place is still going strong, Colin. I was an altar boy there about a million years ago.
Wyn , you can probably remember a priest who was at St. Peter's a million years ago .

I can picture him walking down Willows Lane to the school in his cassock and wearing a biretta . More Catholic than the Pope .

I pass it sometimes on my way up from town . I see Peter Crook , I think that's his name , going into the church . He used to live in Willows Lane near the top of Ormerod Street . When I was living up Fern Gore I would often have to go down the lane to Ingham's butchers and Whittaker's confectioner's . Peter's mum would be outside their front camping . Come back in two hours , and she would still be there camping .

Days when people had time and were not caught up in the frenzied rush of our 21st century life .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..