Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2013, 16:23   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Other Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I am reading about the Con Club, which seems to be in a sorry state. What about the oppositions other club and hall?.
I am talking about another fine building, The Liberal Club which was also the Arts club on Willow Street, and the Labour Hall on Blackburn Rd, facing Willows Lane, where Joe Mortimer had his dancing school, and then Bullough's took it over when they closed their club on the corner of Cannon and Chuch Street. It was Bullough's when we left Accy in 1975.
Are they still standing, and if so , what are they today.
I remember Joe Morts next to the railway arch in the '50s, and I believe that it was formerly the Alexandra Billiard Hall. Pretty certain the the Liberal Club was indeed on Eagle St.
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2013, 17:40   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I remember Joe Morts next to the railway arch in the '50s, and I believe that it was formerly the Alexandra Billiard Hall. Pretty certain the the Liberal Club was indeed on Eagle St.
It is in Eagle St, on the corner with Willow St, but no longer used by the liberals.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 17:48   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
It is in Eagle St, on the corner with Willow St, but no longer used by the liberals.
It ain't been used by the Liberals since the 70s Retlaw
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 18:52   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I was thinking the liberal club came around into Eagle St, and next to that was where my next door neighbour worked, AccringtonCorporation Treasurers Department. From memory there was also a entrance to the liberal club on Willow St
Ignore me Irene, i was at the wrong end of willow st.
Old 30-05-2013, 19:22   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i was at the wrong end of willow st.
Is that a euphemism, Cashy?
Old 30-05-2013, 19:37   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

From 1869 to 1876 the Liberal Club was in Abbey Street but in the latter year removed to this building in Bank Street. The same year the Conservatives took over the premises then vacated by the Liberals. The Liberals remained in Bank Street until the present fine club was erected in Eagle Street and which was opened by Lord Harrington on October 30th, 1885.
Rob1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 19:39   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
That building you refer to was originally built for the Baptists who came from Macpelah on Hyndburn Rd. (Allom Lane) before they moved to Cannon St.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 23:26   #23

The former Liberal Club in Eagle Street was the Arts Club for many years before it became Lah-de-Dars night club and now the Gladstone House flats. The Registrar's is indeed in the former Mechanics' Institute. Also on Willow Street was the Baptist Sunday School which became a function suite and then a night club. I'm trying to think what it was called in the 1980s - it was a well-known venue then for 21st birthday parties, etc. It was the building facing the top of Birch Street. I think it was last called "Opium" before it closed as a night club. May be part of the flats now?
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 23:30   #24

I'm answering my own question - I think it was called "The Berkeley"
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
The former Liberal Club in Eagle Street was the Arts Club for many years before it became Lah-de-Dars night club and now the Gladstone House flats. The Registrar's is indeed in the former Mechanics' Institute. Also on Willow Street was the Baptist Sunday School which became a function suite and then a night club. I'm trying to think what it was called in the 1980s - it was a well-known venue then for 21st birthday parties, etc. It was the building facing the top of Birch Street. I think it was last called "Opium" before it closed as a night club. May be part of the flats now?
Thats correct Judith, Just after the war, the old liberals had a reading room, and my husband used to deliver the Telegraph and Manchester Evening News night papers there. The Arts club was there then. Was the building owned by the Liberals, or could the Arts Club have been renting from them, or would it have been jointly owned at that time?.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I'm answering my own question - I think it was called "The Berkeley"
Yeh twas, remember having a couple of works Christmas Dos yon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..