Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 19:00   #16

Re: Park Road, Accrington

The soldier connection: I've found a photo in William Turner's book 'The Accrington Pals: A tribute to the men of Accrington and District... Who Volunteered, Fought and Died in the Great War, 1914-1918' (ISBN 1-871236-16-9) on page 7 showing recruits for the Pals Battalion. Caption reads "No.3 Platoon 'B' (District) Company, ready for 'Swedish Drill' (physical training) in front of Hyndburn Park School, September 1914."

At a glance the photo seems to show them right where the glass bmw/mini building is, but this does seem to suggest they used open ground in the area for training so maybe your spot of land was used too? Might be worth PM-ing Retlaw and asking if he has more specific info; he seems to be the man for Pals details.

Admin: am I allowed to scan and post an image from a book?

Oh, and on the subject of "feeling a presence"; in my experience, it's usually a dodgy curry
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2011, 19:43   #17

Work it out from Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image5.jpg (100.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Image6.jpg (267.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Image7.jpg (264.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Image8.jpg (260.5 KB, 40 views)
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 20:56   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
The soldier connection: I've found a photo in William Turner's book 'The Accrington Pals: A tribute to the men of Accrington and District... Who Volunteered, Fought and Died in the Great War, 1914-1918' (ISBN 1-871236-16-9) on page 7 showing recruits for the Pals Battalion. Caption reads "No.3 Platoon 'B' (District) Company, ready for 'Swedish Drill' (physical training) in front of Hyndburn Park School, September 1914."

At a glance the photo seems to show them right where the glass bmw/mini building is, but this does seem to suggest they used open ground in the area for training so maybe your spot of land was used too? Might be worth PM-ing Retlaw and asking if he has more specific info; he seems to be the man for Pals details.

Admin: am I allowed to scan and post an image from a book?

Oh, and on the subject of "feeling a presence"; in my experience, it's usually a dodgy curry
The picture on page 7 was taken in front of the school, the school building is in the back ground, Sgt Wood is kneeling in the foreground.
Several of those men in the picture, never made it farther than Carnarvon, and several of them never made it past the 1st July 1916.
As for feeling a presence, it only takes one silly beggar to feel a bit off colour, and before you know it every body claims they felt sumat, mild form of mass hysteria.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-10-2011 at 20:59. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 06:27   #19
God Member

Thanks everyone, think a trip to the library is the next step - and yes, I too am a little sceptical about the 'presence' some of our staff have felt/seen especially if they've been at the wrong end of a long shift at work but I'm keeping an open mind about it and at the very least it's made for more interesting topics of conversation round the dinner table than we usually have
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:05   #20

My mum used to have a garage on the land opposite the school. In the 50's there used to be I would guess 10 garages on that land, I think behind them was the reservoir, now gone. The garages were behind the small gatehouse and went virtually all the way back to the bottom of princess st. I think the gate house was named Hyndburn cottage and in the 60's those that lived there were called Coulson.

My aunt, now 92, used to worship in the Chapel and confirmed tonight it was the Bethel.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:09   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

They were called that, Viven used to come in the Big Crown.
Old 18-02-2012, 13:46   #22

Viv and Ken Coulson still live local
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:13   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
They were called that, Viven used to come in the Big Crown.
and the Spread Eagle.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..