Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 17:26   #151
Resting in Peace

Re: Puzzle for kaytex

Eeew hek ... Clash of the Titans going on here ...

The Railway was also called this in 1849 too Bob ... according to maps.

The Highbrake Hotel in Huncoat became the Railway Hotel .. but was 1893 ... so maybe planning allowed this then. Is still difficult to get a property change name even today

Thing is .. this George Kendall was listed as an Inn Keeper in 1841 on Blackburn Street. Not sure how much of this was built though before became Blackburn Road .. he seems to be the only one ... more research I guess..

More to say, but off out soon .. where ?... meeting of the local history society on a lecture about the Leeds/Liverpool canal ... Have learnt plenty on this recent journey, awakened a new interest in me (still got the others though LOL).

Luvs ya' Ret Babe (he'll hate me for that) x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2009, 17:29   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Just because Katex and Dob Bobson can't find the evidence, and don't think the building was there, then tough.
Retlaw.
Oi you ... I am not doubting you .. just that Bob Dobson bloke (sorry Bob).
Old 12-11-2009, 18:21   #153
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Think what like, if my research is flawed then it is up to you to prove me wrong.

I don't have to prove anything to you.
Calm down, I'm not saying your research is flawed it just seems we might be at a standstill and thought you might jump at the opportunity to put one over the rest of us, what's the point of having information and not sharing it
TheWatsons likes this.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 18:22   #154
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Retlaw;762431] What am I supposed to do hold research classes in the library, teach them how to remove their 2009 glasses, and put their 1800 glasses on.
that might not be a bad idea, educate the oiks n make a bob or two out of it.
Old 12-11-2009, 19:41   #155
Senior Member+

Retlaw, you know we all love you (well, maybe not love .....lets say, think you're ok) but .... cos this has never been mentioned before, BY ANYONE EVER, we just want to try and find out if its true. Thats all :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 19:44   #156
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Eeew hek ... Clash of the Titans going on here ...

The Railway was also called this in 1849 too Bob ... according to maps.

Thing is .. this George Kendall was listed as an Inn Keeper in 1841 on Blackburn Street. Not sure how much of this was built though before became Blackburn Road .. he seems to be the only one ... more research I guess..

Luvs ya' Ret Babe (he'll hate me for that) x
Hate you B***h.
An example of wearing your 1840 glasses when doing research.
In 1841 there were just 20 properties from the end of Union St along Blackburn St, to Hyndburn House (where Freddy Steiner lived)
In 1851 there were 70 properties from Union St along Blackburn Rd, to Hyndburn House.

Now take your 2009 glasses off when you look at Blackburn Rd from Broadway to the railway viaduct, firstly very few of them were the shops and businesses that they are today, they were mostly houses, what you see today is the result of donkeys years of alterations, in both frontages and height.
If those properties had'nt been there along part of Blackburn St when the started to bring puffer trains to Acc, then there would not have been that dammed big S bend in the line running towards Burnley.

Switch on your mental time machine, and see things as they were, from the written evidence in the Census returns and other records.

And by the way back in 1841 there were two Accringtons, Old & New, the present day Railway Pub was in OLD Accrington, and there were no such thing as planning boards or the need for special planning permission to alter buildings and change names.
Read the Burgess report on the health of Accrington in the 1850's, about open sewers inadequate water supplies, cellar and other buildings unfit for habitation

Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 19:48   #157
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Retlaw, you know we all love you (well, maybe not love .....lets say, think you're ok) but .... cos this has never been mentioned before, BY ANYONE EVER, Because no one ever looked at things in depth before, how many things have you come across that no one else has noticed before. what was that building then in 1840, before anyone knew the puffers were coming to Accy.

we just want to try and find out if its true. Thats all :-)
Want to borrow my time machine, dogs using it at the moment but she should be back soon.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-11-2009 at 19:53.
Old 12-11-2009, 21:05   #158
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Calm down, I'm not saying your research is flawed it just seems we might be at a standstill and thought you might jump at the opportunity to put one over the rest of us, what's the point of having information and not sharing it
Ok, but for your informtion, I've been collecting info on Accrington for more years that a lot of Accy Webbers have lived.
I started with a card index of every name that was associated with Accrington, from Abbey St thro to Wulhyrst Yate. Then 18 years ago I computerised the records which have been added to time and time again, there are now 68 A4 pages, 3 colums per page, hundreds of entry's.
If I thought it was wrong it would never have been posed as a question for Katex, if its 1/2 a thou out its scrap.

Before you ask, the answer is no its never been printed, I do this for my own interest.

I doubt if it could be transferred from my computer in any readable form, it is in a 20 year old DOS program and Bill Gates's sh1te makes it into garbage, I've tried.

What makes me angry is why should I carry on doing this when people question its validity, if it was on the book shelves in Accy Library, it would be accepted as a source, people accept Ainsworth's crap as gospel, even thou no one can find the sources for a lot of his crap in any public record office. If any one should have to prove anything it should have been ainsworth.

Retlaw.

Old 12-11-2009, 21:43   #159
Resting in Peace

You're so attractive when you're angry ...

I am trying to learn here ... I am the virgin (historian that is) .. was supporting you when I said I discovered that George Kendall was the only Inn Keeper on Blackburn Street in Old Accrington in 1841 ... so that's why was asking how far did it stretch ... ?

One thing that I found interesting tonight as I passed it .. it did appear to have a Georgian Bay on the side (see Atarah's little quiz), which could prove built before 1830/40, however, could be was just a fancy bit put on later ?
Old 12-11-2009, 22:11   #160
I am Banned

Quote:
You're so attractive when you're angry ...

I am trying to learn here ... I am the virgin (historian that is) .. was supporting you when I said I discovered that George Kendall was the only Inn Keeper on Blackburn Street in Old Accrington in 1841 ... so that's why was asking how far did it stretch ... ?

One thing that I found interesting tonight as I passed it .. it did appear to have a Georgian Bay on the side (see Atarah's little quiz), which could prove built before 1830/40, however, could be was just a fancy bit put on later ?
Hi Virgin.
Yes it was built before 1840, if you compare the footprint of it, it would make a book end with the footprint of the Red Lion pub in Abbey St.

I wonder if the cellars are the same, I've photographed the cellars under the Red Lion.

AND, just to put your mind at rest George Kendall was the Landlord.

Retlaw.
Old 12-11-2009, 22:27   #161
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hi Virgin.

I wonder if the cellars are the same, I've photographed the cellars under the Red Lion.

Perhaps we could ask Less or Mick to speak nicely to the Landlord ..after all they do add to his profits daily..

AND, just to put your mind at rest George Kendall was the Landlord.

Retlaw.
Feel like that George Kendall is part of me family now ... even looked at birth records for St. James's and, yes, had a son baptised there in 1824 .. that's how I knew he had an inn in Lower Fold. Trouble is the records stop at 1825 and don't pick up again until 1890 (on the internet). Will they have the in betweeny at the Library ? He was only about 24 then, so will probably have had a lot more children (as they did), when he lived at the inn on Blackburn Street. Thought it may have shown the address. tee hee.
Old 12-11-2009, 23:08   #162
I am Banned

Quote:
Feel like that George Kendall is part of me family now ... even looked at birth records for St. James's and, yes, had a son baptised there in 1824 .. that's how I knew he had an inn in Lower Fold. Trouble is the records stop at 1825 and don't pick up again until 1890 (on the internet). Will they have the in betweeny at the Library ? He was only about 24 then, so will probably have had a lot more children (as they did), when he lived at the inn on Blackburn Street. Thought it may have shown the address. tee hee.
In 1841 he as 40 years of age his wife Jane is shown as 45, two sons William (15) Apprentice Engraver, Matthew (15) Apprentice Butcher.
Ignore the age 15 for both they were not twins, in the 1841 census for some unknown reason ages of children were rounded up and down, so one could have been 16 and the other 14.

Think his wife may be a bit to old for any more, they could have had more children who died in infancy, the mortality rate in them days was high.
In 1851 George and Jane Kendall are living in Timber St, with a daughter Margaret age (34) he describes himself as Farmer of Cowman.
Theree is a Matthew Kendal age (27) living in Scaitcliffe St, he's a Railway Porter. No sign of William.

Retlaw.
Old 13-11-2009, 11:00   #163
Resting in Peace

Quote:
In 1851 George and Jane Kendall are living in Timber St, with a daughter Margaret age (34) he describes himself as Farmer of Cowman.

Retlaw.
Gosh, he had a change in career then Makes you wonder what happened.
Old 13-11-2009, 11:11   #164
Senior Member+

He got out of the licensing trade cos he had a "vision" that Retlaw would be looking him up in the year 2009!
Attached Images
File Type: gif cheels.gif (43.6 KB, 6 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 12:25   #165
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Gosh, he had a change in career then Makes you wonder what happened.
The Government banned spitting in pubs and he couldn't afford to build a spitting shelter so he lost all of his customers
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..