Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2008, 18:17   #1
Senior Member+

spooky tales of Accrington.

Hi, over the years, a few folk have mentioned to me various tales about "goings on" in houses here in Accrington e.g. more than one person has mentioned about a "presence" in a back bedroom of a house in Adelaide Street - approx. the 6th house down from the top of the block.

am doing a survey, anyone heard of any more please?

atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-12-2008, 18:36   #2
God Member

Re: spooky tales of Accrington.

When I lived in Church, three landlords in succession told me of haunting type happenings at the Stag Inn.
Staggeringman told me of a jug which he admired during the tenancy of a previous landlord, and which suddendly appeared on the shelf during his tenancy which was three tenancies later.
My friend, darwendosser, actually witnessed one happening in the lounge bar, when the chain on the charity collection jar 'unravelled itself' from the jar - no-one within a yard of it and one other witness - both sober

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 18:53   #3
I am Banned

Re: spooky tales of Accrington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, over the years, a few folk have mentioned to me various tales about "goings on" in houses here in Accrington e.g. more than one person has mentioned about a "presence" in a back bedroom of a house in Adelaide Street - approx. the 6th house down from the top of the block.

am doing a survey, anyone heard of any more please?

atarah
Atarah. Did you read that load of crap in the Lancs Telegraph Dec 24th
Love Story that died in flames. You know the reseach I did into the Monks in Accrington, and this chap puts that load of BULL in the paper.

I've written the following letter to him

Your article in the Lancashire Telegraph Dec 24th.
I was disgusted with the article. Love Story that died in flames.

I spent hours over several days in the Public Record Office when it was in Chancery Lane London. I paid quite a bit of money for photographed copy
of the Coucher Book Of Kirkstall.

There never was an Abbey in Accrington, it was a Manorial Grange, with 7 Vaccaries, the monks arrived in 1191 and left in 1287, when they sold the lands back to the de Lacy's. The original building was burnt down and 3 lay brothers killed by the disposed people of Accrington, there were no rich landowners in Accrington. The nearest was de Altham, grandson of Hugh, greatgrandson of Leofwine. There was no building with a tower, just a range of small buildings spanning Abbey St & down Black Abbey St.

I suggest the following reading matter.
Dugdales Monasticon, Whittaker's History,
Rev Burgess's History of Accrington,
the Chetham Soc: Records
and the Coucher Book of Kirkstall.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..