Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 22:45   #1
Member.

Stanley Memorabilia

What’s Left Out There

Notwithstanding the seemingly endless trail of programmes and the occasional Gem on eBay, where are the 120 plus years worth of Accrington Stanley’s History. There must be hundreds of item’s including Medals, Cup’s, Badges, Handbooks and the like, not to mention bits of kit and furnishings from the clubs illustrious past.

I would be interested to hear of what’s left out there in collections or individual pieces, particularly items connected with the club’s forerunners, and associates as well as the former grounds like Moorhead and Peel Parks.

Is anyone looking to dispose of any items that perhaps should stay with the club/town or at least in the hands of those who would share or loan those items for display to those interested in preserving our local heritage and the club almost unique history?

If collections large or small are already available for people to view where are they? Any information or leads will be greatly appreciated.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2006, 23:53   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Stanley Memorabilia

I have a postcard from Accrington Stanley 1921 Ltd. It is dated 30 August 1961.
It is a team selection card saying who you are selected to play against, where, when and at what time. This one is against Great Harwood at Peel Park K.O.3.15 Manager J.S.Harrower Secretary J.Wigglesworth.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:53   #3
God Member

Here's a few that I have from my great grandfather.
1 from Accrington stanley(shown in pics), 1 from Accrington white star and 1 unknown

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (99.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (88.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (98.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (100.5 KB, 168 views)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 21:12   #4

An exhibition, maybe at Haworth Art Gallery or the Town Hall might be worth considering.

I have boxes full of the stuff. Shirts, badges, programmmes, books etc...
Old 09-01-2006, 21:17   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Woodhead
An exhibition, maybe at Haworth Art Gallery or the Town Hall might be worth considering.

I have boxes full of the stuff. Shirts, badges, programmmes, books etc...
Any info around the 1898 years darren?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 21:23   #6
Member.

There’s the Stirring of an idea Darren, but it’s really got to appeal to all sections of the public and it got to have enough substance to pay for itself long term, valuable and treasured items would need to photographed to the highest quality and where appropriate location and ownership would remain anonymous………

Obviously the club and the supporters Club would have to be fully supportive and the council might want to put a hand in a deep pocket as the town would also benefit. What’s needed is a number of odd and bod’s to sign up to a project team…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 21:34   #7
God Member

Did you know that Heritage Lottery is funding social history projects like this to the tune of between £10,000 and £50,000?

It would need a project team but if anyone wants to start something up I'll happily help with the funding bid! I'm a bit busy to co-ordinate something myself right now (and will be until the beginning of May) - but if you give me a few months I might be able to put something together. I am going in to see the Chief Exec of Stanley sometime soon about something completely unrelated so I'll mention it to him.

Would that be an ok start?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 23:38   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think when the club re-gain the league status they deserve,sometime in the pre-season an exibition should arouse great interest, especially from those of us who used to watch them in the old 3rd north, as well as the younger people.
Old 13-09-2007, 15:01   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Did you know that Heritage Lottery is funding social history projects like this to the tune of between £10,000 and £50,000?

It would need a project team but if anyone wants to start something up I'll happily help with the funding bid! I'm a bit busy to co-ordinate something myself right now (and will be until the beginning of May) - but if you give me a few months I might be able to put something together. I am going in to see the Chief Exec of Stanley sometime soon about something completely unrelated so I'll mention it to him.

Would that be an ok start?
Bringing an old thread up but seems apparent with the funding for the heritage lottery coming through for the OSC officially, this is the sort of help also we need is stanley memorabilia for the exhibition, great place to let the committee running it know to offer to loan or donate stanley stuff, particulary older stuff, so they can be in touch

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 15:10   #10
God Member

At least it shows I keep my word. Was it really January 2006 when this idea first came up - no wonder it feels like I've been working on it for years.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 15:15   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
At least it shows I keep my word. Was it really January 2006 when this idea first came up - no wonder it feels like I've been working on it for years.
LOL seems so, strange i came across it during a bored moment & thought ahhh bring it back up as it will be useful to the cause, yes u did keep your word implicitly & nice to see the idea back then come up to fruition now & during the next year

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 00:06   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

all i had was pre-62 progs n i donated em to the club over 2 years ago, was hoping to see em in an exhibition of stanley gear at some point, that was april 2005 maybe it'll happen some day soon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..