Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 14:48   #1
Senior Member+

The Lancashire Society

This society has over 100 members. It hasn't been going very long and is a sort of continuation of The Lancashire Dialect Society.
Have a llok at their website: www.thelancashiresociety,org.uk. Their latest newsletter - Palatine People- has some interesting items, including one about The Pals and also details of a project ( "The Noise We Mek") to study and record the speech of Lancashire folk, using the Leeds & Liverpool Canal as a geographic guideline. They are looking for volunteers to be recorded.

On the evening of Thursday 7th October there will be a meeting in Blackburn Library 7pm-9pm. Some time will be taken up with the acting of a short play about the project. get thisel' deawn theer.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2010, 15:29   #2
I am Banned

Re: The Lancashire Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
This society has over 100 members. It hasn't been going very long and is a sort of continuation of The Lancashire Dialect Society.
Have a llok at their website: www.thelancashiresociety,org.uk. Their latest newsletter - Palatine People- has some interesting items, including one about The Pals and also details of a project ( "The Noise We Mek") to study and record the speech of Lancashire folk, using the Leeds & Liverpool Canal as a geographic guideline. They are looking for volunteers to be recorded.

On the evening of Thursday 7th October there will be a meeting in Blackburn Library 7pm-9pm. Some time will be taken up with the acting of a short play about the project. get thisel' deawn theer.
Tha daft owd bat thas missd puddin a dot intut link. Just read thad guff by bondy, e dusnd even know why sphinx is ontut cap badge, they ed thad badge aforet war started, nod becus Pals went tu Eggwipt.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 02-09-2010 at 15:38.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:53   #3
God Member

I thought that myself, Retlaw...the sphinx is the regimental badge, not the battalion badge and my guess is that it goes back to Napoleonic times and thus predates the formation of the East Lancs after the Childers reforms...30th Regiment of Foot, possibly?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:00   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I thought that myself, Retlaw...the sphinx is the regimental badge, not the battalion badge and my guess is that it goes back to Napoleonic times and thus predates the formation of the East Lancs after the Childers reforms...30th Regiment of Foot, possibly?
The East Lancs Regiment was formed in 1881 from the 30th Regiment of foot, and others. The Sphinx is also part of the cap badge of 4 other Regiments, honours won during a big set to in Eggwipt in the late 1800's.
The Barracks itself has been their since 1848.
You will have to excuse the ramblings of the author of the article in the Lancashire Society, he thinks he's an expert on the Accrington Pals, all he knows is what he's read in Bill Turners books, he's never done any research of his own.
Since Bill Turner wrote that book I've acquired information on a further 748 men who at one time or another had 11th Battalion East Lancs stamped in their small book.
Also that list in Bills book starting at page 212 was not compiled by Bill, I found so many errors Bill and I went back to Fulwood on several occasions during 1999, and made a new list, 40 of the names in that original list never served in the 11th East Lancs.

Retlaw.

Old 03-09-2010, 13:25   #5
God Member

Ooops...
Old 03-09-2010, 14:10   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You will have to excuse the ramblings of the author of the article in the Lancashire Society, he thinks he's an expert on the Accrington Pals,

Retlaw.
Maybe the author could do some research on another occaision when a regiment/battalion was raised by in the area, back in 1798, this time in Church and based on one factory:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img007 (2).jpg (377.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-09-2010, 15:23   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Maybe the author could do some research on another occaision when a regiment/battalion was raised by in the area, back in 1798, this time in Church and based on one factory:
I doubt it, he didn't even know military details about his uncle, who started his military service in the Pals, until I told him.
Now his uncle appears to have told him some wonderful tales about his time with the Pals.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..