Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 15:53   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: The Pleck?

Quote:
I remember that graveyard being sold. Macpelah - means ''God's Acre' I was told, by a baptist, that the baptists used to baptise people in the river down there.

That quote was from Willow the Whisp in a 2007 thread about Hyndburn Road.

I have just been reading a book called The Baptist Churches of Accrington & District by Robert J V Wylie which was written in 1923. It was my dad's though I have no idea where it came from as our family have no Baptist associations.

The book has several chapters on Machpelah and says:

Next the river Hyndburn was an open baptistry -as near the river as it could be got. If the Hyndburn had not been characterised by two things - its shallowness and its filth, the baptistry would never have been erected. It was impossible to baptise in the river, so they built a baptistry as near the river as they possibly could, and for years the open baptistry remained, but when they ceased to use it the stones were removed.

The book also says that the chapel was taken down soon after the new chapel was built in Blackburn Road (opened in April 1836) but the schoolhouse remained for some years and continued to be used for funerals. Blackburn Road was superseded by Cannnon Street in 1872.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2012, 16:43   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Which poses another question, the sheep n cattle were always herded down Maudsley St n then down the Pleck to the slaughterhouse, wonder which farm/farms they came from?
I can remember once seeing sheep being herded through Accy came down Sandy Lane cashy can remember just when that was though

Those sheep which came down Sandy Lane, had gone up Sandy Lane a few days earlier, they came by cattle trucks, and were herded from the station to a field next to Field House farm off Leemings Pad, think it was rented by Slingers Butchers.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-01-2012 at 16:46.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 16:53   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw tells a great story about the coffins being taken out of Macpelah. I will let him tell us.,
Jack Broderick and I took a lot of photos of that area whilst they were pretening to excavate all the grave, even when they put fencing round, we stil found a spot, two silly owd buggers up a tree next to the owd gas works, festooned with cameras.
Retlaw,
Old 08-01-2012, 17:04   #19
I am Banned

[quote=susie123;944576]Nearly right Cashy it was Machpelah Baptist graveyard. I guess the chapel was long gone by the twentieth century as the www says about its records: Accrington- Machpelah Baptist Baptisms-1785-1837- Burials -1816-1844.
Tried that link but couldn't find a list of names either for Baptisms or Burials, I indexed those for Accy Library years ago.
Retlaw.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:13   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

I have just been reading a book called The Baptist Churches of Accrington & District by Robert J V Wylie which was written in 1923. It was my dad's though I have no idea where it came from as our family have no Baptist associations.

Next the river Hyndburn was an open baptistry -as near the river as it could be got. If the Hyndburn had not been characterised by two things - its shallowness and its filth,
Way back when that chapel was first opened the river was fairly clean.
the baptistry would never have been erected. It was impossible to baptise in the river, so they built a baptistry as near the river as they possibly could, and for years the open baptistry remained, but when they ceased to use it the stones were removed.

The book also says that the chapel was taken down soon after the new chapel was built in Blackburn Road (opened in April 1836) but the schoolhouse remained for some years and continued to be used for funerals. Blackburn Road was superseded by Cannnon Street in 1872.
And now the Cannon St one is on its way out.
The parishioners now attend Christ Church.
There used to be a stone plaque in the Machpelah church yard, telling the history of the grave yard, the contractors promised it would be saved, and built into the new wall, stupid sods ran over it with a caterpiller digger, and smashed it.
Retlaw.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:39   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Way back when that chapel was first opened the river was fairly clean.
You were there then were you Walter?

I'll grant you that as the building was occupied first in 1765 the river would have been clean-ish as there wouldn't have been much industry. The shallowness might still have been a problem for a good dunking.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 19:39   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
You were there then were you Walter?

I'll grant you that as the building was occupied first in 1765 the river would have been clean-ish as there wouldn't have been much industry. The shallowness might still have been a problem for a good dunking.
Clever devil, that church was in use before the river got polluted by the local printing works. Read your history's of Accrington, and its development.
Retlaw
Old 09-05-2020, 16:31   #23

A lot of the cattle and sheep taken down Sandy Lane came from farms up Sandy Lane, I used to help my uncle and farmer Philip Flanagan drive the animals down to the abbatoir I can`t remember the name of the street location. It was usually done at weekends but may have been done midweek when I was at school.
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 22:56   #24

Quote:

Next the river Hyndburn was an open baptistry -as near the river as it could be got. If the Hyndburn had not been characterised by two things - its shallowness and its filth, the baptistry would never have been erected. It was impossible to baptise in the river, so they built a baptistry as near the river as they possibly could, and for years the open baptistry remained, but when they ceased to use it the stones were removed.

I remember in the late 1950s one of the vaults in the graveyard was broken open and contents scattered .
I went down to look at the damage , it was quite a large vault , basically 2 rooms one containing the stairs down into it and a second room with shelves on the walls to place the coffins all the bones had been cleared but there were still broken pieces of coffins there .
Sheep were kept in the graveyard to keep the grass short in Summertime .
Jems lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 23:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
A lot of the cattle and sheep taken down Sandy Lane came from farms up Sandy Lane, I used to help my uncle and farmer Philip Flanagan drive the animals down to the abbatoir I can`t remember the name of the street location. It was usually done at weekends but may have been done midweek when I was at school.
I remember Mr Flanagan the shepard who drove the flocks of sheep through the town centre to the slaughterhose , just him and two dogs .
He ended his working life at Mullards Simonstone glass factory .
Jems lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:47   #26

Smile Re: The Pleck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Absolutely correct Cashman. It was indeed a very old Baptist Chapel known as Machpelah. It was on Hyndburn Rd, near to where we once had the old gasworks (Electricity St area of town). Hyndburn Road used to be Hagg Lane in past times. I dont remember the chapel, just the grounds full of lovely old "table top" graves. The graveyard was known as "God's Acre". Many old inhabitants apparently referred to it as "The Baptists in Gas House Lane" (being the area where the gas works also was). And yes, there's where the poor sheep and cattle had their last nibble of grass before "being taken across the road".

Homebase on Hyndburn Road now built on the same site.
I remember the graveyard, my uncle Raymond used to work at the abattoirs, he once chased a bull up King Street that had escaped. Also there were holding pens on Paxton Street at the railway station.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..