Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47   #16

Re: The wringer mangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Clothes Boiler, Meatsafe, Baby Belling, Ascot Geyser, wow, your family must have been well off
They had a maid, car and chauffer until about 1930! Then Bury Brothers collapsed and it went downhill from there.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57   #17
God Member

Fridges were a luxury item at one time. I didn't get one until I had been married for 4 years. My mum had one which ran off GAS.

Electric mangles were in common use in the 50s. My mum wouldn't give one house room because there were many people who got mangled arms.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 12:51   #18

Found this link on the Taskers site. Contains similar info to the above with a few additions. Also two nice photos of Queens mill site; one interior and one prior to construction. It seems Burnley have stolen the original geared mangle...
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 15:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Fridges were a luxury item at one time. I didn't get one until I had been married for 4 years. My mum had one which ran off GAS.

Electric mangles were in common use in the 50s. My mum wouldn't give one house room because there were many people who got mangled arms.
My (other) gran had a gas fridge. They're quite complicated and not as good as electric ones, so they never really caught on.

I remember a friend having an electric washing machine with a powered mangle attached, although I think it was officially known as a "wringer." It packed up after a while, and they were left with
a dead wringer
Old 13-10-2011, 15:31   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'The wringer mangle was invented in 1850 by Robert Tasker in Lancashire, the ansector of the current firm Taskers of Accrington, which is a furniture retailer; it was a cheaper, simplified version of the box mangle. Box mangles were large and expensive; they were used by wealthy households and large commercial laundries. Middle-class households and small-scale washerwomen used the plain mangle. Later in the 19th century, the steam engine was harnessed to laundry purposes and commercial laundries used steam-powered mangles.'
Mangle (machine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'The creator and builder of the first geared wooden roller wet clothes-wringing machine was master blacksmith Robert Tasker, circa 1850. At the time, he had smithy in Back Union Street, which became part of Accrington Broadway. Robert and wife Betty, a weaver, produced 10 daughters and three sons so presumably, had an almost daily stack of dirty laundry.'

'Robert, who made the gates to the cemetery in Burnley Road, Accrington, which are still in use today, refused to patent his invention, saying, God gives men brains to help his brother, not line his pockets. However, he and Betty did charge their neighbours a penny a time to come to their house and use the machine!
'
Taskers - Our History
In the Accrington Gazette November 1868, there is reference to a court case relating to Tasker St, (formerly Castle St), in which a Mr Tasker (blacksmith) & others were questioned about the repairs & upkeep of Tasker St.
Quite a lot of local history in that article, about when the houses were built, and who lived in them.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 18:18   #21
Senior Member+

I have doubts about Tasker's claim to have invented the mangle. Another local chap who brought out a mangle was John Shorrock Lightfot. Neither of them held patents relating to the mangle, though they did hold other patents. Lightfoot was probably 'backed' by Entwisle & Kenyon, the 'Ewbank' people. I am enquiring as to mangle patents and hope to be able to report soon. Incidentally, I think it was Shorrock whose wife (?) was called Atarah. What a name to go to bed with. Who in their right mind would use that name?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 18:47   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have doubts about Tasker's claim to have invented the mangle. Another local chap who brought out a mangle was John Shorrock Lightfot. Neither of them held patents relating to the mangle, though they did hold other patents. Lightfoot was probably 'backed' by Entwisle & Kenyon, the 'Ewbank' people. I am enquiring as to mangle patents and hope to be able to report soon. Incidentally, I think it was Shorrock whose wife (?) was called Atarah. What a name to go to bed with. Who in their right mind would use that name?
Mangle (machine) - Ask Jeeves Encyclopedia
Old 13-10-2011, 18:57   #23
Senior Member+

My doubts remain, even though I would like to believe it. Jeeves is quoting something written by a Tasker. I think it strange that, having invented something , he didn't seek publicity for it and thus increase sales. It seems to me that the important bit of what he did was not to invent a mangle, but to invent a GEARED one.
Old 13-10-2011, 20:04   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
My doubts remain, even though I would like to believe it. Jeeves is quoting something written by a Tasker. I think it strange that, having invented something , he didn't seek publicity for it and thus increase sales. It seems to me that the important bit of what he did was not to invent a mangle, but to invent a GEARED one.
Whats strange about not seeking publicity, were not all trumpet blowers, some of us just like to get on with what we are doing. I am very suspicous of those who go around blowing their own trumpets.
Retlaw.
Old 13-10-2011, 20:13   #25
Senior Member+

Tasker was a self-employed businessman. He would know that if he wanted to make brass out of his invention, he needed to tell folk about it. If he sold the idea to (say) Entwisle & Kenyon, they would certainly have told the world about this labour-saving, sweat-reducing product. I am not saying he didn't come up with the idea first, I am saying that I have doubts, as much as I want to believe that an Accrington chap lead the world.I have no trumpet to blow.
Old 14-10-2011, 19:03   #26
Senior Member+

I quote from a Ewbank publicity leaflet published c 1890......"Although Accrington may not be the actual birthplace of mangles".....It then goes on to say they have an example ( photo with it) of a mangle made by Tasker c1850. It appears to be the one now in the Towneley Hall Museum and it was formerly in the small museum at the Ewbank works.
Old 14-10-2011, 23:59   #27

All the articles I've read put Tasker as inventing the "geared mangle", and not the first mangle. They all attribute the first mangle to a John Turnbull. One source I found even claimed that the first mangle was some kind of modified printing press and so was un-patentable; I can't find the link.

Would be very interesting to hear what you manage to dig up on the patents Bob.
Old 18-10-2011, 08:28   #28
Senior Member+

Whilst as yet I have no detail as to design, I have learned that the first British patent for a mangle was taken out in February 1774 by a Hugh Oxenham. The reference number is 1064.
Old 19-10-2011, 13:19   #29
Senior Member+

I now have the patent. Hugh Oxenham was a London-based carpenter and mangle-maker.He described his invention as 'a mangle of entirely new construction made with sliding collars, wood or metal springs,rollers cogged with iron or pinning wheels, to answer all the purposes of mangles without the encumbrance of weight and will stand in a third part of the room of common mangles.' It appears that this was a wooden-framed, four-legged mangle, cranked by a handle and much smaller than those already in use.

This was a century before Tasker's mangle, which was made of cast iron, so that may have been how, if at all, Tasker's mangle differed from others.
Old 19-10-2011, 16:00   #30

Nice work Bob. May sound like a daft question - but was it definitely a clothes mangle? Not suggesting for a minute that Oxenham wasn't the original inventor, but I did read somewhere the term 'mangle' was used for other apparatus before clothes mangles were around.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..