Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2011, 09:32   #16
Senior Member+

Re: View Of Broad Oak Printworks - William Linton

Birdie Brow?? Never even heard of it!!!! Do you know I am Accrington born and bred and have NEVER even heard that word in my life? http://lancashire.greatbritishlife.c...y/image/52016/
I am still awaiting a response from Helmshore Textile Museum to see if they have the painting by Linton.

Last edited by Atarah; 13-08-2011 at 09:38.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2011, 09:39   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i can remember folk mentioning Birdie Brow, but thats about it! Moby Dick was a tadpole back then.
Old 13-08-2011, 09:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Birdie Brow?? Never even heard of it!!!! Do you know I am Accrington born and bred and have NEVER even heard that word in my life? View from Birdie Brow overlooking Clitheroe. Photo - Arts | Lancashire Life
I am still awaiting a response from Helmshore Textile Museum to see if they have the painting by Linton.
Atarah, I thought every kid in the borough had at sometime been whimberry picking on Birdie Brow easily accessed via Mitton, it's the eastern end of Longridge Fell. In fact after looking at map this could be the rise in the middle distance in the painting. Of cousre the is artistic licence to consider too, this isn't a photograph!
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:25   #19

Just one more from me for now... IF Hargreaves did not just buy the painting but in fact commissioned it, could the artist not have been somewhere on the estate of Grafton House. This was right in the middle of the area mentioned in my first post and there is a steep sided clough just west of the site of the now demolished house.
Grafton House as I understand it was the dwelling place of the Broad Oak owners, although I stand to be corrected on that.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 11:01   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Atarah, I thought every kid in the borough had at sometime been whimberry picking on Birdie Brow easily accessed via Mitton, it's the eastern end of Longridge Fell. In fact after looking at map this could be the rise in the middle distance in the painting. Of cousre the is artistic licence to consider too, this isn't a photograph!
ah thats were it was, seem to recall visiting from "Chaigley Manor.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..