Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37   #271

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Pte. 40198. OLDHAM. Riley. 4th Reserve East Lancs. 4 Fern Gore, Oswaldtwistle.
Riley also served as Pte. 31054. Loyal North Lancs.
Just one thing the AVL-18 for Greater Accrington has hundreds of errors.
There never was a 4th Reserve East Lancs, the two reserve Battalions for the East Lancs Regiment were the 3rd E.L. & the 10th which became the 47th Reserve 10th Brigade in 1916. The 40198 No. suggests early 1918 for the East Lancs.
Many thanks for the information Retlaw.
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-01-2014, 13:02   #272
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Hiya Retlaw,
Do you have any info on (yet another!) Gt uncle of mine? He was Walter White and he lost a leg in WW1. According to family legend he was dragged to safety by a Jimmy Crook of Ossy.
Cheers, Steve
Steve I''v just got your PM, sorry I missed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White. W. Pte. 10th S.Rfls..JPG (429.5 KB, 26 views)
steve2qec likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:14   #273
Full Member+

Fantastic! Much appreciated.

Does Jimmy Crook of Oswaldtwistle feature in your records? Apparently he was a family friend.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:00   #274
I am Banned

Quote:
Fantastic! Much appreciated.

Does Jimmy Crook of Oswaldtwistle feature in your records? Apparently he was a family friend.
Is this the man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crook. J. L-Cpl. 10th S.R. 6-17..JPG (260.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 18-01-2014, 14:27   #275
Full Member+

Looks likely - same regiment. I have an elderly aunt who might remember him so I'll ask her.
Thanks again.
Old 18-01-2014, 14:35   #276
Full Member+

Could it be that the reason James Crook was awarded his medal was for helping out my uncle?
Old 18-01-2014, 15:09   #277
I am Banned

Quote:
Could it be that the reason James Crook was awarded his medal was for helping out my uncle?
Could be, but you would have to search the London Gazette for medal awards, they are supposed to be recorded in there.
Old 20-01-2014, 10:49   #278
Senior Member+

This may interest some of you:

A monster off the British coast: Rusting hulk of World War One German U-boat that has been marooned by Kent island for almost a century | Mail Online

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 15:45   #279
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Could be, but you would have to search the London Gazette for medal awards, they are supposed to be recorded in there.
His name was listed but no more info than that!

Also, I have found another relative - he's down as having served in the R.F.A. Am I correct in thinking this is the Royal Field Artillary and not the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, (as he was a corporal)?

Can you tell me which regiment he was in?
He's Robert Baron, L/569

Cheers,
Steve
Old 25-01-2014, 19:26   #280
I am Banned

Quote:
His name was listed but no more info than that!

Also, I have found another relative - he's down as having served in the R.F.A. Am I correct in thinking this is the Royal Field Artillary and not the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, (as he was a corporal)?

Can you tell me which regiment he was in?
He's Robert Baron, L/569

Cheers,
Steve
He served in the Royal Field Artillery.
He was one of those who answered the call when the War Office asked Mayor J. Harwood to raise a compay of artillery.
Robert enlisted in the Accrington & Burnley Howitzers.
He lived at 28 Bent St, Oswaldtwistle.
Old 25-01-2014, 19:49   #281
Full Member+

Thanks....looking up the "Howitzers" online, now!!
Old 25-01-2014, 21:36   #282
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks....looking up the "Howitzers" online, now!!
You will find more about them in the Accy chip wrapper thoughout 1915, they didn't go overseas until Jan 1916. don't believe all you see on line, the only facts are in their war diaries, the Acc & Bnly Howitzers did not all serve together throughout the war, they were split up, some served out in Egwypt, some were discharged before the end of 1915, and posted to munitions.
Some were issued with a new number in the 70000 range. Several of the Church Battery have numbers in that range as well

steve2qec likes this.
Old 25-01-2014, 23:10   #283

Hi Retlaw. Have just been looking through all the postings – yes, from the beginning! - on this thread, to see if there was any mention of one of my husband’s relatives, as I didn’t want to do a repeat of anyone else’s posting. However, I didn’t come across any so here goes, with a bit of extra information, which might or might not be of interest and has nothing whatsoever to do with the war.

Peter Westell was born in 1891 and was married to Alice Ann Whittaker. I have no idea which regiment he was attached to but he was a P.O.W. of the Germans in WWI. He was able to get home for the Welcome Home in 1918. He and Alice Ann had three children, two were born earlier but the last one, Harper, was born in 1922. Sadly Harper was killed in WWII at the age of 22 (he was an Air Gunner).

Peter was the son of Harper and Dorothy Westell, his brother George was my husband’s grandfather and his sister Maud was the mother of Clifford Westell who I believe became the Mayor of Accrington.
Prior to his marriage, Peter lived at Peel Arm Cottage, Dill Hall Lane.

Am fairly certain I have the correct facts, but always open to debate.

Congratulations on the amount of information you have included in this thread – you really are very knowledgeable on this subject. So many hours must have been devoted to it.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 23:13   #284

I think that maybe Peter lived in Oswaldtwistle at the time of joining the forces.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 12:18   #285
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Hi Retlaw. Have just been looking through all the postings – yes, from the beginning! - on this thread, to see if there was any mention of one of my husband’s relatives, as I didn’t want to do a repeat of anyone else’s posting. However, I didn’t come across any so here goes, with a bit of extra information, which might or might not be of interest and has nothing whatsoever to do with the war.

Peter Westell was born in 1891 and was married to Alice Ann Whittaker. I have no idea which regiment he was attached to but he was a P.O.W. of the Germans in WWI. He was able to get home for the Welcome Home in 1918. He and Alice Ann had three children, two were born earlier but the last one, Harper, was born in 1922. Sadly Harper was killed in WWII at the age of 22 (he was an Air Gunner).

Peter was the son of Harper and Dorothy Westell, his brother George was my husband’s grandfather and his sister Maud was the mother of Clifford Westell who I believe became the Mayor of Accrington.
Prior to his marriage, Peter lived at Peel Arm Cottage, Dill Hall Lane.

Am fairly certain I have the correct facts, but always open to debate.

Congratulations on the amount of information you have included in this thread – you really are very knowledgeable on this subject. So many hours must have been devoted to it.
Thanks for the info, just one small thing the P-O-W's were released from Jerryland in batches from Dec 1918 thro to Feb 1919, there were two Welcome Home ceremonies for ex prisoners, one was held in Jan 1919, the other in Feb 1919. Peter is in the Absent Voters & the returning P-O-W's list as 1 Peel Arms Cottage.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-01-2014 at 12:21.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..