Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Dance halls (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/dance-halls-60669.html)

jaysay 10-03-2013 08:32

Re: Dance halls

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1045852)
Connie Downes married Jack Henry (who jaysay will surely know from Ossy ?).
Her and Carol Duckett?? were inseperable in the sixties and are still best mates.

Carol now hitched to the infamous, inimitable and gravelly voiced pub singer Tommy Franks. Nino "thingy" before that, latin lothario who had a garage behind the old Asda/Queens Bingo :cool:

I remember wandering off up the coppice with Carol on a few occassions to have a look at the "err" wooden gun carriages and emplacementsup there *grin*

Movie camera Mog yes it was Eumig 8mm. Current Mrs P say" You are not going up that flipping loft looking for it at this time of night ****** off to the Forts wi yer chums"

Jack Henry, D. is that the Jack Henry, son of John Henry, lived on Moscow Mill street in the 50s, he was in my class at school, red head lad, suffered very badly with Arthritic in later life, not sure if he still does or is still alive even, but he used to live near me, saw him on a regular basis in the 90s, his Father John a good friend of mine lived a couple of doors away from me and often popped in for a chat

jaysay 10-03-2013 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1045882)
Yes you are right,She did marry Jack. I used to go with Connie and Bob Burnside was going with Carol. We used to go and look at the same gun carriages as well. Jack worked with me at Huncoat. He never looked very healthy in them days. Nino was a so called Mechanic. I think it was Connie who worked at Marks most of her working life though. Do you remember Connies brother who eloped to Gretna Green just before his planned wedding. Connies dad also operated the winding engine to get us miners up and down the shaft at Huncoat Pit. I used to dread going on the lift if he knew I was traveling on it. The operator had the ability to stop the cage dead as it was travelling the shaft. Ask any miner who has ever experienced it. ( New Underpants were required) I Knocked about with Tommy,s brother Frannie Franks for a while about 63/64.

The Franks brothers were members of the Sundowners Band in the sixties, Frannie was in my class at Holy Family, was living near the old Broad Oak works the last time I saw him Tommy is still knocking about with his guitar or he was

DtheP47 10-03-2013 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1045892)
The Franks brothers were members of the Sundowners Band in the sixties, Frannie was in my class at Holy Family, was living near the old Broad Oak works the last time I saw him Tommy is still knocking about with his guitar or he was

Franny F is back in town.. him and Tommy can usually be found in Grants (the Old Hargreaves Arms) Not together though ...brotherly love or summat :rolleyes:
Tommy still singing he's a bit like some of these threads great in the beginning but goes on too long. Seriously though he does a lot for charity last saw him at a Macmillan do in the Peel... one of Accy's characters.

Jack Henry yes to all that jay. He was the dapperest of lads round town always suited and booted,and yes suffered bad with a congenital arthritic condition. He was a welder at JT Rothwells in Church when he was with Connie I am sure he is still knocking about Connie (or Mick Bull) would have told me I hope !!

mog Inspecting the gun carriages!!! and Carol told me I was the only one!! usually after my Jubbly had melted ;)

jaysay 10-03-2013 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1045923)
Franny F is back in town.. him and Tommy can usually be found in Grants (the Old Hargreaves Arms) Not together though ...brotherly love or summat :rolleyes:
Tommy still singing he's a bit like some of these threads great in the beginning but goes on too long. Seriously though he does a lot for charity last saw him at a Macmillan do in the Peel... one of Accy's characters.

Jack Henry yes to all that jay. He was the dapperest of lads round town always suited and booted,and yes suffered bad with a congenital arthritic condition. He was a welder at JT Rothwells in Church when he was with Connie I am sure he is still knocking about Connie (or Mick Bull) would have told me I hope !!

mog Inspecting the gun carriages!!! and Carol told me I was the only one!! usually after my Jubbly had melted ;)

I used to see him regular D walking very badly with a stick, ain't seen him for ages although to be fair I haven been out that much in the last few years to see anybody really

DtheP47 10-03-2013 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1045934)
I used to see him regular D walking very badly with a stick, ain't seen him for ages although to be fair I haven been out that much in the last few years to see anybody really

Rang Connie Jay... Jack's fine living up behind the Heys still. Singing in the St Mary's choir and learned to play the sax !! Of course you know his dad was choirmaster there so he's continuing the family connections with the church. Connie say's he looks really well these days :D

Connie and Carol (inseperable as ever) went to the Pop' Friday night Billy Fury tribute act. mog
Well that sorta' gets this thread back on track ;)

jaysay 10-03-2013 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1045940)
Rang Connie Jay... Jack's fine living up behind the Heys still. Singing in the St Mary's choir and learned to play the sax !! Of course you know his dad was choirmaster there so he's continuing the family connections with the church. Connie Say's he looks really well these days :D

Connie and Carol (inseperable as ever) went to the Pop' Friday night Billy Fury tribute act. mog
Well that gets this thread back on track ;)

Thanks for that D. I was in the Choir with his father many years ago, together with the amateur operatics society and the John Henry Singers sadly he passed away a few years ago now

Mog 10-03-2013 10:59

Apart from, next time you see Connie, D give her my best will you. She may remember me.

cashman 10-03-2013 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1045943)
Apart from, next time you see Connie, D give her my best will you. She may remember me.

Well i remember yeh Mog, Though doubt if i'd recognise yeh after approx 50 yrs.:D n as fer carol i never trailed up the gun carriages fer any bird.:D Didn't need to cos i'm a catch.:D

ossy kid 10-03-2013 22:47

Known Connie forever and her brother Harold who sadly passed away. Always popped into Marks to say hello when over. We all went to St Annes in the 50s, together with Franny and Tommy Franks, usually bump into them on Broadway during a visit. Also Bowled with Tom and John Henry for James St club in the 60s-70s great blokes.

Mog 11-03-2013 03:57

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1046054)
Well i remember yeh Mog, Though doubt if i'd recognise yeh after approx 50 yrs.:D n as fer carol i never trailed up the gun carriages fer any bird.:D Didn't need to cos i'm a catch.:D

Cashy do you remember our Brian. Changed a bit but still a good looking guy. Well thats what he say,s. Here is one with me and my youngest son. Couple of years ago mate.

Alan Gilmartin 11-03-2013 04:37

Where has Franny been all these years ?.

cashman 11-03-2013 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mog (Post 1046078)
Cashy do you remember our Brian. Changed a bit but still a good looking guy. Well thats what he say,s. Here is one with me and my youngest son. Couple of years ago mate.

Yeh Mog used to sup wi him in Black Bull, When he was goin out wi Janice.;) Remember him in army also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1046080)
Where has Franny been all these years ?.

Still knocking about Al, These days spends a few months a year in Thailand.;) His lads me daughters fella.;)

jaysay 11-03-2013 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1046054)

don't you mean your catching cashy:D

jaysay 11-03-2013 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1046068)
Known Connie forever and her brother Harold who sadly passed away. Always popped into Marks to say hello when over. We all went to St Annes in the 50s, together with Franny and Tommy Franks, usually bump into them on Broadway during a visit. Also Bowled with Tom and John Henry for James St club in the 60s-70s great blokes.

Ya Ossy Kid Bowls was only second to singing for Tom and John

jaysay 11-03-2013 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1046090)

Still knocking about Al, These days spends a few months a year in Thailand.;) His lads me daughters fella.;)

He did move away for a while but he's been back in Accy for many years now