Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Dance halls (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/dance-halls-60669.html)

IRENE BAINBRIDGE 11-02-2012 14:05

Dance halls

Hi,does anyone remember Knowmere St; & Joe Mortimer's we used to go to Knowmere St;or Christ Church on a Saturday,then we'd go to Joe Mort's;on a Sunday as long as our parent's didn't know,not many dance hall's were allowed to open on Sunday & lads & lassies came from as far away from Blackpool on the train,there was often a lot of fighting with the local lads.

susie123 11-02-2012 14:15

Re: Dance halls

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE (Post 969710)
Hi,does anyone remember Knowmere St; & Joe Mortimer's we used to go to Knowmere St;or Christ Church on a Saturday,then we'd go to Joe Mort's;on a Sunday as long as our parent's didn't know,not many dance hall's were allowed to open on Sunday & lads & lassies came from as far away from Blackpool on the train,there was often a lot of fighting with the local lads.

Lots of us remember, on lots of other threads, try putting Knowlmere St into the search box at the top of the page.

janloot 12-02-2012 17:22

joe morts was the in place in those days, i seem to remember guard dogs being at the top of the stairs, was it rough?it was renowned for good nights,and the big crown next door to it, that was later than the morts scene, a guy called frank monohan was the landlord he had a daughter called pat, you was always in for a decent night out in accy.

cashman 12-02-2012 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by janloot (Post 969919)
joe morts was the in place in those days, i seem to remember guard dogs being at the top of the stairs, was it rough?it was renowned for good nights,and the big crown next door to it, that was later than the morts scene, a guy called frank monohan was the landlord he had a daughter called pat, you was always in for a decent night out in accy.

Bernard was landlord when i first went in, Frank took it oer from him, When they came out Pat n her Mam moved oer Fleetwood way, Bumped into Pat a few times oer yon, Big Crown was always a good boozer back then, But i thought better before the alterations,when Bernard used to have groups on, was very handy before goin up morts.:D

jaysay 13-02-2012 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 969988)
Bernard was landlord when i first went in, Frank took it oer from him, When they came out Pat n her Mam moved oer Fleetwood way, Bumped into Pat a few times oer yon, Big Crown was always a good boozer back then, But i thought better before the alterations,when Bernard used to have groups on, was very handy before goin up morts.:D

I bet you were one of those that didn't wash their arm so the pass out stamp was still there the week after:D:Doh yes I remember it well:D

janloot 13-02-2012 18:43

the crown in those days, (frank monahan) was a big guinness place, most people in there drank bottled guinness, the guys worked on the roads.and the tar mackers, the fitz brothers, john and jimmy, and frank used to sub them beer all week, and end up with most of their wages, i remember a scottish guy called bruno curley hair i cant ever remember seeing him sober,i remember a night it was pats birthday party,didnt start till closing time we all helped to tidy up, and put the buffee out, a knock on the door, when frank went to the door it was alex higgins with a bottle of whiskey for pat,frank took the bottle said thanks and shut the door, i would have luved to have seen his face,

cashman 13-02-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by janloot (Post 970124)
the crown in those days, (frank monahan) was a big guinness place, most people in there drank bottled guinness, the guys worked on the roads.and the tar mackers, the fitz brothers, john and jimmy, and frank used to sub them beer all week, and end up with most of their wages, i remember a scottish guy called bruno curley hair i cant ever remember seeing him sober,i remember a night it was pats birthday party,didnt start till closing time we all helped to tidy up, and put the buffee out, a knock on the door, when frank went to the door it was alex higgins with a bottle of whiskey for pat,frank took the bottle said thanks and shut the door, i would have luved to have seen his face,

Used to live wi john way back, all those lads are gone now, n quite a few more of the crown lads.

janloot 13-02-2012 21:53

i bought johns wagon,maybe 1974-5 a black bedford tk 10 tonner was one of ironfields, silly story, i was sick of building trade one year, we was in crown, all the worse for guinness,john said give me £150 you have bought the firm, it consisted of the wagon tarmack tools roller ect, his brother jimmy, george kennedy, and a heavy goods driver called carrot, like the idiot i was in those days, i paid him, biggest job was getting them out the pub, a bigger job was keeping them out,i deserved every penny we earned

Stuart Hartley 05-03-2013 18:05

Joe Morts: sawdust on the male toilet floor, a hosepipe linking a leak from the ceiling out through one of the windows, fights on the dance floor that were so common we just danced round the bodies knocking hell out of each other. Mary Mort walking around the floor with her two German police dogs on chains wrapped around her wrists.The police used to parade outside in great force with their dogs because they were not allowed inside due to it being a private club ( the reason we had to become members was to keep the police out unless invited in) Apparently Joe's had the largest private membership for a club outside the USA. The front page of the Accrington Observer often had headlines about the trouble outside Joe's but this was often propaganda because the council wanted the place closed down. Does anyone remember the cartoons that were drawn and pinned to the window of the disc jockey's room? Downstairs was the cafe. The Ted's used to wobble their solo dance and occasionally brandished their knuckle dusters and bicycle chains that they never used but kept for show. Even now one can go upstairs and have a look at what was the dance floor and room known as Joe Mort's. It's a gym but they don't mind one having a look.

Wynonie Harris 05-03-2013 18:34

Thought you were a peace-loving, CND badge-wearing beatnik, Stuart?

janloot 05-03-2013 18:56

i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse

hassy rvr 05-03-2013 19:01

the only dance hall I remember in ossy was the Empire!

MargaretR 05-03-2013 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by janloot (Post 1045171)
i remember going to a dance hall in oswaldtwistle,?turn up by the clinic, as if going to rhyddings school,it was a right turn before the school,and then on the left must have passed it loads of times on my way to and from rhyddings, but a name, i cant remember, remember vaguely it being upstairs, (i think), memorys getting worse

That would be the weavers institute
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Sun...,90.34,,0,3.29

I don't recall any dances there - I left Ossy in 1961 (aged 18)

Bob Dobson 05-03-2013 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by janloot (Post 1045171)

There was a dance floor in Church Con Club. I went there a few times. Bopping. I remember dances too in Oak Street Cong Church hall. Th' Arc (adian) was probably my favourite - an off licence at the end of the street is still there I think. Cliff Davidson (?) was the bossman. One of my memories of Mort's was wearing a black shiort and jacket and making a hearing aid out of a white ear-ring and white bell wire to make people think I was Johnny Ray. It worked. I got sympathy from girls.

cashman 05-03-2013 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by hassy rvr (Post 1045173)
the only dance hall I remember in ossy was the Empire!

Only one i remember also, Though Church Con down the road had dances upstairs, thats maybe what janloots on about?:confused: