Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Community Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/)
-   -   Accrington Grammar School Old Boys (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/accrington-grammar-school-old-boys-63811.html)

Bob Dobson 18-03-2013 17:06

Accrington Grammar School Old Boys

The Old Boys are having a social evening on Thursday 11th April in the Masonic Club, Adelaide St. We would like to hear from anyone who asttended but is not on the OBs' register, whether he can attend or not. PM me if I can help .

Tesco Rambler 10-07-2013 23:35

Re: Accrington Grammar School Old Boys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1047571)
The Old Boys are having a social evening on Thursday 11th April in the Masonic Club, Adelaide St. We would like to hear from anyone who asttended but is not on the OBs' register, whether he can attend or not. PM me if I can help .

I am an Old Boy, and I really wonder what has happened to the various characters of my year: I started in the last year at the old solid stone building on Blackburn Road with the 'Tuck Shop' there right next to the school and frequented at break times. It would be unfair to mention names but I do wonder how many have died, gone to prison, made it big in some chosen field of endeavour - yes it would be interesting to know. Since I am somewhat of an unconventional type I would feel a bit loath to attend any functions.

Bob Dobson 11-07-2013 07:35

There are c520 lads on the OBs' Register, and very few of them attend functions. The register allows for lads to be kept on the radar should anyone such as you want to get in contact with their pals, or just to know that they are still on this earth. There is no membership fee. I will PM anyone who want to be informed - PM me if you want to know more.

Less 11-07-2013 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tesco Rambler (Post 1066251)
I am an Old Boy, and I really wonder what has happened to the various characters of my year: I started in the last year at the old solid stone building on Blackburn Road with the 'Tuck Shop' there right next to the school and frequented at break times. It would be unfair to mention names but I do wonder how many have died, gone to prison, made it big in some chosen field of endeavour - yes it would be interesting to know. Since I am somewhat of an unconventional type I would feel a bit loath to attend any functions.

Yes, well, I dare say a few won't attend unless they have absolute brass nerve, take this chap for example:-

My brother the troubled Tesco blackmailer - Accrington Observer

Oh look there's a coincidence he has Tesco in his name as well AND he was a tax inspector, small world isn't it?

;)

Graham Hartley 11-05-2015 21:59

In common with at least one other here, I am or have been banned. Ah, such cheek of a sort. And though I made a career from understanding relativity of the special and general sort - among rather much else - I'm confounded because I swear here and there and care so little about what others might think about that. Such fun, of a sort.

Michael1954 12-05-2015 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hartley (Post 1140722)
In common with at least one other here, I am or have been banned. Ah, such cheek of a sort. And though I made a career from understanding relativity of the special and general sort - among rather much else - I'm confounded because I swear here and there and care so little about what others might think about that. Such fun, of a sort.

Mmm, a somewhat confusing post from someone who is usually precise in his use of language, of a sort.

Gordon Booth 12-05-2015 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Hartley (Post 1140722)

Banned, well well.
Was that for being boring or for torturing the English Language?

Eric 12-05-2015 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1140731)
Banned, well well.
Was that for being boring or for torturing the English Language?

Probably for not wearing his cap.

maxthecollie 12-05-2015 13:40

Was Big Sam about?

Gordon Booth 12-05-2015 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1140747)
Probably for not wearing his cap.

Perhaps he couldn't find one big enough.:D

If big Sam saw you without a cap he'd try to make sure you didn't need one- he'd nearly knock your head off.

Eric 12-05-2015 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1140750)

If big Sam saw you without a cap he'd try to make sure you didn't need one- he'd nearly knock your head off.

Tell me about it! "Oi, laddie ... " Thunk.:D

maxthecollie 12-05-2015 14:53

"Oi, laddie where's your cap" use to echo in my ears walking to school. We lived on Hope Street and Sam Wignall used to live on Perth Street and many a time our paths would meet walking to school. I used to almost know one of his history text book of by heart after all the lines he gave me.

Eric 12-05-2015 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1140757)
Sam Wignall used to live on Perth Street

He lived in a house:eek: I always thought he had a place somewhere in the bowels of Hades ... a couple of circles above Jock Bentley.

Barrie Yates 12-05-2015 23:09

Always knew him as "Boris"

Graham Hartley 19-06-2015 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1140750)
Perhaps he couldn't find one big enough.:D

Are any of you teasers yet alive? Then FOAD. Such fun!