Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2010, 18:43   #31

Re: new shop disgrace

i suppose they do
tpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2010, 18:46   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpickup View Post
i suppose they do
Seems your well versed in the subject
Old 23-08-2010, 18:51   #33

subbject of drug yeh wouldnt say i was an expert but now few things from workin as a youth worker at new era
Old 23-08-2010, 19:14   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
lol, I'm not the one saying it's not the sort of shop we need. I've asked this before and never got a single reply.
A good book shop......and I don't mean one that sells Bibles.......One which has a wide range of books, both fiction and non fiction.
WHSmiths is dire......there isn't even a good bookshop in Blackburn.

If you want anything technical you either have to go online for it, or traipse over to Manchester.

The new Charity shop that is opening in a couple of weeks is The East Lancs Hospice Shop....and that is definitely a good cause......you know the money is going to be supporting local people who need their special brand of care.......I will be donating and buying.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 19:27   #35

Smile Re: new shop disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
A good book shop......and I don't mean one that sells Bibles.......One which has a wide range of books, both fiction and non fiction.

If you want anything technical you either have to go online for it, or traipse over to Manchester.

The new Charity shop that is opening in a couple of weeks is The East Lancs Hospice Shop....and that is definitely a good cause......you know the money is going to be supporting local people who need their special brand of care.......I will be donating and buying.
agreed
Old 23-08-2010, 19:58   #36
God Member

a Waterstones would be great Marg
Old 23-08-2010, 20:27   #37
Beacon of light

A Waterstones would be fantastic. I really do miss a good bookshop. I used to haunt Seed and Gabbutts, and Wardleworths.......there is nothing quite like the feel and smell of a brand new book......buying on the internet is OK if you know exactly what you want......but sometimes you really need to 'browse'.

I used to buy books and then have to hide them because my other half would want to know when I had bought it, how much it cost, etc. I used to have to hide the wrapping that the book came in....and I would tell him 'oh, I have had this book ages' as my nose grew another few inches....and Textbooks were my weakness.....they still are to a degree.
He could never understand that a good book is worth its weight in gold.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 21:06   #38
God Member

i have noticed that Waterstones is making it's way up here finally, they only used to be down south at one time
Old 23-08-2010, 22:30   #39

Quote:
A Waterstones would be fantastic. I really do miss a good bookshop. I used to haunt Seed and Gabbutts, and Wardleworths.......there is nothing quite like the feel and smell of a brand new book......buying on the internet is OK if you know exactly what you want......but sometimes you really need to 'browse'.

I used to buy books and then have to hide them because my other half would want to know when I had bought it, how much it cost, etc. I used to have to hide the wrapping that the book came in....and I would tell him 'oh, I have had this book ages' as my nose grew another few inches....and Textbooks were my weakness.....they still are to a degree.
He could never understand that a good book is worth its weight in gold.
Oh someone with my weakness as well - I love books which is probaly the reason I have worked in Libraries for the past 37 years .

But getting back to the original subject what does this shop actually sell
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 22:35   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well don't think i'd be frequenting it, but i'd rather have a Bong shop than n empty shop, we got enough of them, think most people would like a Book shop,or good clothes shops, even the likes of currys etc, point is we had em way back, but vanished cos were not viable, so unless some company is prepared to take a "Big Risk" Dream on.
Old 23-08-2010, 23:26   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Personally i would like to see a Gents Taylor, used to be quite a few, but it aint gonna happen.
Old 23-08-2010, 23:33   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i have noticed that Waterstones is making it's way up here finally, they only used to be down south at one time
what? is waterstones coming to accrington??

and inregards to what shops..off the top of my head..

what about a 'lush' - would save me from going to preston to buy stuff for mrs gg or bringing it back from glasgow..

or how about a decent proper mens/female clothes shop (top man/next/levi store - take your pick)

bookshops been covered.

a mothercare?

a decent shoe shop/ trainer shop (nike/footlocker)..

a decent proper suit shop?

a camping/outdoor shop of sorts.

another electrical shop? - other than the one across from the post office
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 09:07   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Twas a bad day at blackrock when Wordlesworth's went out of business
Old 24-08-2010, 09:11   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Personally i would like to see a Gents Taylor, used to be quite a few, but it aint gonna happen.
Gents Tailors cashy, didn't think they bothered with denim jeans
Old 24-08-2010, 09:22   #45
Give, give, give member

Without expert advice it can be tricky, deciding on a suitable tie, that works with a shirt...when due in court, or when attending a wedding, etc.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..