Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2010, 23:17   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Road Humps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Even an emergency vehicle has to also give consideration in a side street Cashy where a child could dart out at any moment. Better of two evils I guess.
it has, but trying to treat some poor sod when going oer humps is ok? not a lot wrong wi slow n smooth.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:25   #17
God Member

They reduce the effectiveness of snowploughs - we now realise that we need them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 23:31   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it has, but trying to treat some poor sod when going oer humps is ok? not a lot wrong wi slow n smooth.
The stretches of roads that have road humps are not too long though are they ? Should imagine that ambulances have good suspension anyway ?

Not really arguing about the whys and wherefores of road humps .. but OK .. I will ... sure they have saved many a life or injury from speeders.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 00:50   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The stretches of roads that have road humps are not too long though are they ? Should imagine that ambulances have good suspension anyway ?

Not really arguing about the whys and wherefores of road humps .. but OK .. I will ... sure they have saved many a life or injury from speeders.
Full leangth of ormerod street.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:33   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Rather than speculating that they have saved lives, do you have any proof?

As Cashy has mentioned, full length of Ormerod St, was this area some form of death valley before? People unable to leave their houses for fear of the speeding millions?
If so there should be statistics to compare before and after the Tarmac big dippers and you must be able to find them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 11:42   #21
God Member

Quote:
as an ex fequent flyer as you would say i can assure you they dont and its a good job the medicne drawers have locks on them .They perform well on standard flaws with roads but speedbumps are a nightmare for them.Unless iv been getting the broken amubulance or somthing

as for speeding they are supposed to so that they can get to hospitals quickly and to be quite blunt about it if you get hit by a fast object with flashy lights and a loud siren then whos really at fault ,even kids know not to run out infront of an ambulance and those not old enough to understand this shoudlnt be out unsupervised to be in a positon to be hit by an ambulance.I assume an ambulance driver is also trained in advance drving liek teh police are so as to minimize chances of an accident but on the bright side what better vehicle to hit you should you ever find yourself run over

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 11:46   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Rather than speculating that they have saved lives, do you have any proof?

As Cashy has mentioned, full length of Ormerod St, was this area some form of death valley before? People unable to leave their houses for fear of the speeding millions?
If so there should be statistics to compare before and after the Tarmac big dippers and you must be able to find them.
i remember whe they were put on ormerod street and at the time peopel were sayin it was because an old woman got run over by a speeding car plus a few other minor accidents where idiots had run into the road not looking where they were going.A speed camera would have been more suitable rather than all them bumps causing extra wear and tear to many peoples vehicles

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 12:42   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i think kate should apply fer the "Mod" position, seems to have all the attributes of the one thats quit.
Old 26-01-2010, 13:19   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think kate should apply fer the "Mod" position, seems to have all the attributes of the one thats quit.
And what's that supposed to mean ?

You could do an FOI for all evidence used to justify the construction of
speed humps. That should cover it.

There can be a number of reasons for the introduction of speed humps,
including:

1. An evidenced (high) incident rate - especially if it involves
vulnerable road users (cyclists, pedestrians, persons under 16),
excessive speed was a cause of incidents and/or the incidents have been
classed as Serious;
2. The route deemed a 'rat run' and inappropriate levels of traffic
are using what should primarily be a residential street (this is very
subjective though - ie. Whalley Road is largely residential but it is
also a main traffic route...);
3. Residents making complaints to the traffic authority;
4. Money left to spend from this year's budget; and even
5. An over-zealous councillor kicking up a fuss.

There are probably loads of other reasons but these are some of the most
common. Traffic authorities monitor traffic and incidents on an ongoing
basis - these kinds of analyses are quite common.

Yes, I did speculate that a life or bad injury would be saved after introduction of these speed humps … that’s all we can do really. Past surveys have indicated that ‘Speed Kills’ and the Highways Authority are not just waiting for an accident to happen on some roads, which some people would remark about and demand traffic calming measures. Speed humps, (in my opinion) are the cheapest and most effective .. unlike cameras which are expensive to install and maintain.

You could probably obtain information as to how many emergency patients in an ambulance have been affected by an ambulance going over one. I would think that all types of traffic has been taken into consideration.

I get the impression that the comments in the above posts are aimed at disagreement with them?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 23:01   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
And what's that supposed to mean ?

What it said,is english not yer first language?

I get the impression that the comments in the above posts are aimed at disagreement with them?
funny i get the same impression.
Old 27-01-2010, 07:08   #26

You can object to them being put outside your house & have them put elsewhere.

I successfully complained when they were proposing them outside my house, in line with the bedroom window on a house I lived at in Burnley.
They moved it to next door...

They ARE noisy, with cars going over them with a bump in the evenings or early mornings they tend to keep you awake or distract a lot at times.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 08:10   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
They ARE noisy, with cars going over them with a bump in the evenings or early mornings they tend to keep you awake or distract a lot at times.
I suspect you get some cars accelerating after them and braking before them as well increasing to the noise.
Old 27-01-2010, 09:56   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
You can object to them being put outside your house & have them put elsewhere.

I successfully complained when they were proposing them outside my house, in line with the bedroom window on a house I lived at in Burnley.
They moved it to next door...

Bet you were top of the pops with your next door neighbors
Old 27-01-2010, 18:15   #29

Nah, they didn't know and besides, they were a young troublesome couple who were only renting so didn't get the mail... lol
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..