Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2011, 19:55   #16

Re: The rising price of Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
What a load of bollocks. Did someone's parrot write that email? If so, it must have been drunk.

There is one simple solution to the price of fuel - keep your car in the garage (or even better, scrap it) - then walk. Some of you might even get reasonably fit, so that hopefully in the next few weeks or months, we won't get the clinically obese characters coming on here complaining about longer queues for NHS treatment.
All well and good if you walk about 20 miles a week, I drive 25000 miles a year, I would never see the wife, mmm, perhaps it's not a bad idea
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2011, 19:58   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
approx 90 pence per ltr is tax, it's the goverment we need to be protested against not the garages,
United Kingdom
Main article: Hydrocarbon oil duty
From 4th January 2011 the UK duty rate for the road fuels unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol is GB£0.5895 per litre (£2.65 per imperial gallon or £2.20 per U.S. gallon).[3] Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty.

Using the UK average untaxed pump price for unleaded petrol of £0.4572 per litre (from the December 2010 average taxed price of £1.221 per litre,[4] the duty rate of £0.5819 per litre[3] and the then VAT rate of 17.5%) this would give a January 2011 taxed price of £1.256 per litre (£5.71 per imperial gallon or £4.75 per U.S. gallon) - that is equivalent to a tax rate of 175%.

Diesel for use by farmers and construction vehicles is coloured red (Red Diesel) and has a much reduced tax, currently £0.1133 per litre.[3]

Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT
Nice one duggie, I agree on the UK tax, but why are the oil companies making great big profits, it would suggest that the product is over priced to start with even before hm.gov get their tax bit

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:58   #18
Beacon of light

Quote:
What a load of bollocks. Did someone's parrot write that email? If so, it must have been drunk.

There is one simple solution to the price of fuel - keep your car in the garage (or even better, scrap it) - then walk. Some of you might even get reasonably fit, so that hopefully in the next few weeks or months, we won't get the clinically obese characters coming on here complaining about longer queues for NHS treatment.

Your advice is fine and dandy if you are talking about local distances, but many many people have to work.......and unfortunately for them the work isn't always on the doorstep. Transport is necessary, and you cannot rely on public transport if you have a job with even slightly unsocial hours I'm talking 6pm here...... as some buses stop running at 5pm.

Shopping......now there is another thorny problem, mother with two children needs to stock up her cupboards.......corner shops are long gone......their demise hastened by the likes of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's........ walking to the shops might prove no problem,but coming back with the children and bags of food........?does the mother buy a donkey and cart to take her to the shops and bring back the food?

Do you live in the real world? Do you live off beer and fags?
I'm pretty sure you will have a smart come-back answer........but for some people a car is a necessity.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:11   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:

Someone light your candle Tealeaf. why not join me on the golf course twice a week, that's in winter, JJB gym twice a week..... don't talk to me about getting fit, the offer is there come and join me

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 20:17   #20
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It's easy money, as simple as that ! Governments all over are raking it in to fill budget holes so sadly it's going to be a fact of life & it ain't going to get any better ! Living in Germany we do have some limited choices, we can cut across to Holland to fill up. Saturday morning 8 pumps 6/7 cars queuing at each pump, all German registrations & this goes on all day !

Then there are the other borders Poland/Austria/Belgium/Czech Rep/Luxembourg just to name a few & most of these have considerably less duties on their fuels so we get "Tank tourists", it worried the Germans that much there was talk about garages in Border areas getting dispensation to reduce the fuel price to stop people buying abroad !

Sadly in UK you're stuck on an Island so can't benefit by such an expedient so the Government of the day have definitely got the Public by the Pubics !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:20   #21
Senior Member+

Hey Less what's the problem, each time I try to reply to your post I get "server error" so here we go

I knew you would find an answer

£100+ to fill a "small van"............what's the saying ' you goda be ...........'

Bus passes, what's your problem with them..............you can borrow mine if you like

It looks like you

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 20:23   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Someone light your candle Tealeaf. why not join me on the golf course twice a week, that's in winter, JJB gym twice a week..... don't talk to me about getting fit, the offer is there come and join me
Golf Course? That's a fairies game, if ever there was one. You'll burn more energy spending an hour or so sticking stamps in a stamp album than fooling around with a stick and a little ball twice a week.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:30   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Hey Less what's the problem, each time I try to reply to your post I get "server error" so here we go
You'd better not have broken accyweb with this rubbish thread of yours.

Quote:
I knew you would find an answer
Unfortunately it would have been better if YOU had checked but there again this thread is showing you up for what you are.

Quote:
£100+ to fill a "small van"............what's the saying ' you goda be ...........'
Unfortunately that is the way of it '9 months of Tory misrule' and all that.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:43   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You'd better not have broken accyweb with this rubbish thread of yours.
Your doing not mine, you are the techno kid

Quote:
Unfortunately it would have been better if YOU had checked but there again this thread is showing you up for what you are.
You have done it for me, all I did was to post an e-mail

Quote:
Unfortunately that is the way of it '9 months of Tory misrule' and all that.
why not sell the van or scrap it, as Tealeaf recommends

What about the bus pass Less?

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 20:49   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Golf Course? That's a fairies game, if ever there was one. You'll burn more energy spending an hour or so sticking stamps in a stamp album than fooling around with a stick and a little ball twice a week.
Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood, Paul Casey are all mega rich because of the "fairies game" as you call it. If you fancy a try at the fairies game just ask.

Albert Einstein.

Old 19-01-2011, 21:28   #26
God Member

Quote:
Tiger Woods, Lee Westwood, Paul Casey are all mega rich because of the "fairies game" as you call it. If you fancy a try at the fairies game just ask.
No thanks. Some of us have our pride and self respect.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 22:10   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
No thanks. Some of us have our pride and self respect.
well you aint that much........after all yeh stand wi us up the stanley.
Old 20-01-2011, 16:49   #28
Senior Member+

Just for Less a bit more information

Sainsbury's Fuel - Company Information - PetrolPrices.com supplied by BP they think

Asda Fuel - Company Information - PetrolPrices.com used to be Teaxaco or Esso now their own brand

Morrisons Fuel - Company Information - PetrolPrices.com once Shell then Texaco now their own brand

Tesco Fuel - Company Information - PetrolPrices.com once Gulf,Texaco or BP now their own brand, but have opened Tesco Express shops at Esso sites

So you see nearly all the big supermarkets sell their own brand of fuel, but where do they get it.

They buy it on the wholesale market and it is whoever is cheapest on the day, it could be BP, Shell, Total or anybody else frankly.

Albert Einstein.

Old 20-01-2011, 17:38   #29
Beacon of light

Surely if everyone avoided buying petrol at either a BP or Esso filling station it would have some impact on their sales.
However, the government is laughing all the way to the bank because of the windfall in tax caused by the rising prices.
Don't the fools realise that this rise is going to affect almost everything that is hauled around the country? A hike in inflation is just what we need right now!(NOT)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 17:56   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Surely if everyone avoided buying petrol at either a BP or Esso filling station it would have some impact on their sales.
However, the government is laughing all the way to the bank because of the windfall in tax caused by the rising prices.
Don't the fools realise that this rise is going to affect almost everything that is hauled around the country? A hike in inflation is just what we need right now!(NOT)
I am in total agreement with you......wonder how long defore taxi fares go up as well

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..