Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2014, 08:08   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Todmorden Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
All the work on the tunnel and the Tod curve is now completed and trains are once again running normally. I don't know if the journey is any quicker now that trains can go faster through the tunnel but I doubt it. The few miles an hour faster for the short length of the tunnel wont make much difference.
I don't think the work was completed to speed up the journey, more to make the mis-shapen tunnel safe again.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:11   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't think the work was completed to speed up the journey, more to make the mis-shapen tunnel safe again.
It was, long overdue too I believe.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 11:15   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The train to Manchester is even longer overdue and still no idea when it will be running
Old 07-05-2014, 21:04   #49
Senior Member+

Best guess is December 2014.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 19:33   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you are right with that, read something along those lines before.

I am sure our MP will look into this and sort it out for us.
Just caught up with this as we were discussing it in the shop the other day.

Our MP will sort it because he wants to get everybody on the train to work in Manchester. I'm pretty sure a function of the local MP is to actually try and bring work to the people of his constituency, not the other way round.
Old 13-05-2014, 11:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Just caught up with this as we were discussing it in the shop the other day.

Our MP will sort it because he wants to get everybody on the train to work in Manchester. I'm pretty sure a function of the local MP is to actually try and bring work to the people of his constituency, not the other way round.
I wouldn't be happy about that.

I don't want to spend my time traveling to Manchester on the train when I work in Accrington

cashman and joaner3 like this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 16:45   #52
Senior Member+

The misshapen tunnel was caused by some dodgy un-official miners digging for coal long ago and the earth slipped into the excavations and slowly the tunnel keeled over towards the Burnley road. I was living on the farm next to the tunnel but not involved with mining.
When I walked around a few weeks ago before it was all finished I saw the remains of a little Dodge tipper lorry we used in 1966. We parked it under the bridge between both sides of the farm where the railway passed over, when coal trains stopped to either let a passenger train go by or to pin the brakes down it was very tempting to pull the lorry forward and throw a few cobs of best Yorkshire coal from a truck to the lorry. Very tempting, irresistible even. So I have been told.

The picture below are the Tod curve in its finished state taken two weeks ago, first one looking towards the station, left fork to Hebden Bridge and York,the other photo looking back to Burnley. Not a passenger has yet to ride the new tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050264.jpg (472.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1050269.jpg (360.8 KB, 30 views)
smobile and gpick24 like this.
Old 21-08-2014, 14:38   #53

New East Lancs service hit by six month delay
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 14:53   #54
Senior Member+

There is a short piece of track which will have trains using it in both directions, at different times, and that is what the new signalling is to control.
Trains coming towards Todmorden from Burnley will be switched over to the Burnley direction track before switching onto the to the newly restored curve into Todmorden Station.
In my second photo you see the switchover, the trains from Burnley will be on the right hand track then the left, the first picture shows the switch from that line to the station and Manchester.
If the York-Burnley, Accrington-Blackpool express meets the Blackburn, Accrington, Burnley-Manchester train on that short stretch it will cause a slight problem.
I cant understand why the signalling wasn't put in at the same time as the other signals and track. or maybe I can. Could it be Network rail used it as an excuse rather then telling us they have given out trains to South of the great divide.
I can't wait to go direct on the train to Todmorden, walk across the street to the Queens Hotel have a few pints with my brother and back home again. As planned.

The photo is the little tipper used to lighten the load on the coal trains mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1413.JPG (426.2 KB, 26 views)
wadey likes this.

Last edited by Gremlin; 21-08-2014 at 15:03.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 21:34   #55

what's a few month's delay matter? It's been years since a direct line to Todmorden existed anyway...
Old 04-02-2015, 16:06   #56
Full Member+

Is this the final time that a date for this service to begin will be announced ? Business leaders think so.

Long-awaited direct rail link to Manchester to begin on May 17 (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:22   #57
Senior Member+

Last time I spoke to anyone connected with the job I was told they hadn't started training drivers to go round the curve (or bend) and no rolling stock was available.
Wait until the spring/summer timetable comes out and see if there is any service via the curve.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:41   #58
God Member

Perhaps the Honourable Member for X will be able to enlighten us when he receives an answer to the letter found by following the link below.

Graham Jones MP

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 17:22   #59
God Member

Here's the letter:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northern Rail letter.jpg (255.1 KB, 5 views)
keep the faith likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by Neil; 21-02-2015 at 17:28. Reason: image to big
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 00:25   #60
Full Member+

It's a fair point to ask what type of trains have been acquired to run this service since today the government has backtracked on its pledge to replace outdated Pacer trains as part of the bid for the franchise that Northern currently operate. We're now being told that Pacers will be with us on 'some routes' for five to ten years. The 'some routes' will be Colne to Preston without doubt.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..