Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Woodnook slums!

We lived on Victoria Street on the block next to the Old Band Club.We bought our house when we got married in 1969 for £625 and lived in there,and brought two children up until the council in their mind decided that one or two on the block were unfit for human habitation.We had spent a lot of money on our house , but no the council wanted to pull it down and we were forced to move.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40   #17

Only just seen this forum point today and I see it has been going on for some time.
I grew up in the forties & fifties at number 5 Belfield road (2 up and 2 down), but left the UK in 1967 to go to Switzerland, where I’ve been ever since. I vividly remember the many happy times that we had sledging down Wilfred Street during the cold winters of the late Forties and early fifties. The pantomime shows for us Kids being put on in the social club of Highams, playing on Riley’s Hill and up Priestly Clough etc. etc.

I was back on a visit in May of this year after some 30 years or so. Wow have things changed!
I agree mainly with what has been said already regarding:
- Knocking down and rebuilding
- Keeping the houses as they are and refurbishing them
- The old Higham’s factory buildings
- Etc., etc
Whether to knock down, or refurbish depends mainly on what is possible at what price. What I saw in May on Wilfred Street and Augusta Street was very impressive, and where possible there should be more of this type of refurbishing continuing.
On the other hand when I got around to Belfield Road I was disgusted at what I saw, with windows being boarded up and some properties really looking dilapidated, not to mention (as somebody already said) the waste land that was Highams employing a few hundred people. It really is time that here something should be ASAP.

Cheers
Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50   #18
Beacon of light

The derelict land where Highams and Warburtons Mills were, was earmarked for the building of 74 houses, but the guy who bought the land went bust and that is why nothing has been don on that land. In the last two weeks I heard that it has been bought. During that time there have been 4 men installing very robust fencing. So whether there is some movement and possibly a start on the project is anyone's guess.

I lived on Riley's Hill until 1966(My mum still lives there) and Priestly Clough was my playground...our sledging escapades were down Rose St and the St by the side of the Old Band Club...and the pantomimes and the childrens Christmas parties were at the Cotton Club....rip roaring event they were to be sure.
The houses in this area were never slums. People were proud of their homes.
wadey likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 08:48   #19

Hi all you good people from Woodnook,
I have a quiz question[/B] for all of you, but in particular the "older generation".
Below is a photo of what used to be the "PSA", it is on the corner of Belfield Road and Nutall Street.
Question: does anyone know what "PSA" stands for?
I will let you know in a week or so if nobody gives the correct answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0134.jpg (525.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Neil; 25-11-2016 at 13:09. Reason: Fixed image
Old 24-11-2016, 09:26   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
I have a quiz question[/B] for all of you, but in particular the "older generation".
Below is a photo of what used to be the "PSA", it is on the corner of Belfield Road and Nutall Street.
Is it a technical term?

PSA=Photograph Should Appear
odders, RainbowSix and gpick24 like this.

Last edited by Neil; 25-11-2016 at 13:10. Reason: fix image in link
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:37   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Is it a technical term?

Pretty Silly Answer
Less likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:49   #22

Pretty shot area?
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:51   #23

Poorly screwed area
Old 24-11-2016, 09:56   #24

I grew up in the bottom end, working class decent folk who grafted but all got out. The big Manchester letting agencies bought the housing stock on the cheap because our stupid council allowed the scum that were banned from their home town to come and live here.
Old 24-11-2016, 09:57   #25

I loved that area but scum breeds.
Old 24-11-2016, 10:01   #26

I went the other week, to see how much it's changed. It broke my heart,that's one thing I don't ever want to see in Accy again. In less than 20 years it's just imploded.
Old 24-11-2016, 11:24   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
hi all you good people from woodnook,
i have a quiz question[/b] for all of you, but in particular the "older generation".
Below is a photo of what used to be the "psa", it is on the corner of belfield road and nutall street.
Question: Does anyone know what "psa" stands for?
PLEASANT SUNDAY AFTERNOONS. My father lived near by and one day when they were having one of their meetings he wedged the doors and put stink bombs through their letter boxes, they were hanging out of the upstairs windows shouting for help
Dolly Blue and Vinegar.wert recipee

Last edited by Neil; 25-11-2016 at 13:19. Reason: fix image in quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 14:23   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
"Pleasant Sunday Afternoons" If I remember correctly there were 2 snooker tables, one full size and a 1/2 or 3/4 size one. You had to convince the chap who looked after things that you knew what you were doing before you could play on the full size table. Used to go there quite often in the early/mid '50s with Vincent Ryder, Bernard Cronshaw, Jack Hartley and a few others who are lost in the mists of time gone by. Pretty certain it was open more than just Sundays.

Last edited by Neil; 25-11-2016 at 13:18. Reason: fix image in quote
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 08:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Is it a technical term?

Good idea, but no it is not a technical question.

Cheers
Old 26-11-2016, 08:09   #30

Hi,
All of you that have said PSA stands for "Pleasant Sunday Afternoon" are correct.
I lived at number 5 Belfield road and went there regularly.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon

ex 5, Belfield Road

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..